Why is Flash So Buggy?

Who's to blame: Adobe or Flash developers?

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 5872 Views - Last Post: 21 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Why is Flash So Buggy?

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

I've been trying to keep up with the Internet's general feelings about the future of web development, and something that I hear often are complaints about how buggy Adobe's Flash player is. I've never programmed in Flash or ActionScript before, so I don't know much about it. I stick to mostly PHP/AJAX stuff. But, it seems like some people have a personal vendetta against Flash. Some are even willing to go to any costs to kill it--even to go as far as advocating HTML 5 as being the replacement for Flash.

I guess that this is what I really want to know:

Is Adobe to blame for the bugginess, or are the bugs result of poorly developed Flash applications?

And why does it seem like there's a new security hole discovered in Flash every week or so? Why is it so vulnerable?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why is Flash So Buggy?

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why is Flash So Buggy?

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

Most of the time it is because the developer doesn't know what they are doing. It causes them to try to have too much going on at one time, or to go about animations in a dumb way (for instance having each animated object have its own event listener for enter frame, at which point they are queue up and go about their animations. If there are enough objects in the queue it is possible they won't all finish updating before the next frame has been entered. This causes issues). I have seen some applications developed in flash and run in the browser that run better then desktop applications, but for the most part people who make flash apps don't know a ton about what they are doing and don't seem to care about efficiency.

As you can probably tell, I blame poor development and not Flash (though it does have some quirks that are annoying).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

Long story short: Their CODE is buggy...

Also, I think you are kinda overdoing it - the Flash and AS3.0 is a very innovative language (even if it is not faster than for example C++ 2(when running in browser 3(which can be solved by Adobe AIR 4(but I am not sure about the performance then 4) 3) 2) ), and HTML5 working in all browsers (ahem. AHEMinternetExplorerAHEM AHEM AHEM) is a dream... I haven't seen so many people say it is buggy (I am excluding newbies and skiddies and other types of noobs).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

It is pretty buggy, especially the Flash IDE, but I have grown to like coding in Flash as it can be more predictable than Javascript
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

The Flash IDE is - but it is more like anomalies here and there (I do a brush stroke and it deletes the whole layer, I undo, do it again and it is OK) or such...
But Flash's true power is not in its IDE, lol...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:28 AM

Truthfully, i love cs4, it has a great development environment, and as3 is a great language for graphically intensive applications. I only wish code-completion was similar to .NET, as I hate retyping my code after it is structured in a class. Hopefully cs5 will fix that.

I agree with BetaWar, as most negative influence of flash is usually a bad implementation of flash. Flash is not for everything, as some people might think. Just like any program, it takes planning, and if the software is not planned properly, it will leave the end user upset.

On another note...
HTML 5 is a scripting language to display websites, its not 'flash' per-say. Also, its a long way off from even being implemented, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that anything soon anyways.

This post has been edited by W3bDev: 19 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

I agree that a large part of the bad Flash out there is bad code or poor design choices with file formats, fonts etc. With AS3, as with any language, you still have to write clean, organized, simple code.

I look back at some of the first stuff I wrote and just shake my head sometimes. :no:

I also agree with webhoststudent it is more predictable (across platforms and browsers) than Javascript.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1