Who, Why, Where aka Hello! + About Me :)

An Intro

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 1479 Views - Last Post: 03 June 2006 - 07:03 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Who, Why, Where aka Hello! + About Me :)

Post icon  Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:28 PM

Hello dear dream.in.code crowd!

I'll try to answer the "W" words from the thread title briefly. I'm an international student from Switzerland, did the second half of high school in the US in, (of all places), Kentucky, because that's where my uncle lived at the time so it was convenient for me to crash with him after first arriving in the US. I ended up at college in Boston, MA and that's where I still am. Biologically, I am actually Bosnian as both my parents are from Bosnia, though I was born and raised in Switzerland. To "top that off", this is the fourth consecutive year that I'm living in the US, so the question of who I really am has become harder and harder to answer over the years. I like to refer to myself as a citizen of the world. That doesn't just sound cool, it's quite true, too.

I found the dream.in.code forums after a quick Google search for "programming forums". About a year ago I registered at programmingforums.org and really liked it there and got some good coding help from the nice people over there. Today, I'm stuck and clueless with a programming assignment and decided to look for help on the web. After a quick Google search, the two best results I had were dream.in.code and programmingforums.org. I can't remember my username/PW for the latter so I requested they send me the info, twice, and it still hasn't arrived in my inbox. Since I'm low on patience right now, I registered at dream.in.code to check out this admittedly nice-looking forum!

I have a habit of checking the ABOUT or ABOUT US links of websites to learn a little about the people who run the site and most importantly, about the site's mission statement. To me, that's always a crucial factor for deciding whether to stick around or surf away. I admit I quite liked dream.in.code's about statements so I stuck around and registered. Then I checked the "links" sections of both dream.in.code and programmingforums.org and found out that the two sites actually link to each other! "Even better", I thought, and with this discovery found another reason to register at dream.in.code. If I liked programmingforums.org, and the folks over there consider dream.in.code worthy of being in their fairly short "links" listing, I figured dream.in.code can be nothing but good too

That's all I have for now. I think it's long enough. I'm the type of person who never has problems with minimum page limit guidelines for academic essays... rather, I tend to blow the upper limit. Can you tell?

It's nice to meet you.

So long,
Me

PS
Whow! I almost forgot.. I am a newly and recently declared computer science major and am now taking an intro comp sci class with Java. I really like javaranch.com because a ton of talented, friendly and helpful people frequent that place. What really, REALLY puts me off is the completely outdated forum software that place runs on. It's bad enough to discourage me to use it, in spite of the great resources contained within the site. How am I supposed to keep track of replies to my threads or threads I participate in, for instance, if I can't even set it to email me about forum topic updates? The editing features are less then bare-bones and the whole site is generally quite behind the times regarding forum technology. While I don't see fancy rich text formatting and super advanced forum features as a requirement for me to join a forum and stick around, the case of javaranch.com is simply too cumbersome and inconvenient to use. It's a shame, for as I understand it, it's one of the best forums/references for Java programmers on the web. I just wanted to add this last bit. If you've read this far, I really appreciate the attention you've given this post!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Who, Why, Where aka Hello! + About Me :)

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Who, Why, Where aka Hello! + About Me :)

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

That has got to be the longest intro anyone has ever written. But that means you're smart and/or very attentive to information!

Welcome to DIC!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:12 PM

View Posthotsnoj, on 2 Jun, 2006 - 10:50 PM, said:

That has got to be the longest intro anyone has ever written. But that means you're smart and/or very attentive to information!

Welcome to DIC!

Really? Damn.. I wasn't quite shooting for that.. I don't know whether to feel embarrassed or honored or a little bit of both. I'd say I'm smart in most aspects that matter, except for, well, academic responsibility and time management. Those have always been problems for me.. as for my attentiveness to information, what can I say. I try to be as attentive as I can. I like to be precise, concise where possible, (though as you can see there's a lot of room for improvement in that regard), and I'm a perfectionist, which seems to be a bad thing more often than it is a good thing.

Anyway.. thanks for the welcome. I hope to have a pleasant stay :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• unleashed
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:50 PM

welcome :)
that was a long intro and to tell you the truth i dont really read the introductions but i read yours.(seeing its lenght) i think i better start reading them .whos knows what i find and where i find it :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:53 PM

moerl, it's not something to be ashamed about. It takes me forever to get anything of length written down. Mostly 'cuz I write and then rewrite it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

View Postfrog, on 2 Jun, 2006 - 11:42 PM, said:

welcome :)
that was a long intro and to tell you the truth i dont really read the introductions but i read yours.(seeing its lenght) i think i better start reading them .whos knows what i find and where i find it :)

You read my intro because it was long? Now that's interesting. I was thinking most people will be put off by the length, rather than motivated.. but hey, that's cool! Glad you dropped in and read it. Intros sure are interesting, though sadly most of them are very basic, almost to the point of being pointless.. they usually like something like this:

"Hi all!
I'm Johnny from California and thought I'd say hi."

And that's that.. frankly, I can't get myself to much care for intros like that. That's why I made mine different. I gave it some actual substance so when people read it, it will actually have been worth something. The whole point of making a post is to convey information. Such is my belief. If you're just going to throw out filler material, you might as well keep it to yourself... that's not to say simple intros are worthless, they still serve a purpose. But if you're going to introduce yourself, I think, you may as well do it right :)

By the way.. is there no way to quote a post using fast reply?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• unleashed
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

omg you are one of those you have an answer to everything :)

and i u wanna qoute using fast reply just copy what u want to quote and enclose them within these tags quote and /quote within square braces
edit:hope you get what i mean .i tried t write it but then you just get quotes :D

and i very much hope to see you around the forums

This post has been edited by frog: 02 June 2006 - 11:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:12 PM

By the way.. is there no way to quote a post using fast reply?

Just open fast reply, select the text, click "Add Selected Text As Quote".

Of course there is always the old school way of just copying and pasting the text and surrounding it with quote tags. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:27 PM

View Postfrog, on 3 Jun, 2006 - 12:03 AM, said:

omg you are one of those you have an answer to everything :)

I try ;)

and i u wanna qoute using fast reply just copy what u want to quote and enclose them within these tags quote and /quote within square braces
edit:hope you get what i mean .i tried t write it but then you just get quotes :D

I know that, of course. I was hoping for a way to select text and then just click a button that will auto-insert what I want to quote in the fast-reply box. I don't see that anywhere. There is one forum I once posted in that had exactly this. It was beautifully fast and easy to use :). Might be donationcoder.com. Not sure. I'm just too damn lazy to type the quote tags every time.. just as I hate formatting text with the B, I and U tags.. but that's just me I suppose :)

and i very much hope to see you around the forums

I'm flattered and feel the same. Thanks for dropping by and posting in my thread :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:30 PM

Just open fast reply, select the text, click "Add Selected Text As Quote".Of course there is always the old school way of just copying and pasting the text and surrounding it with quote tags.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh.. I could never see the damn button and was just about to tell you how I don't see that button anywhere.. then I selected the text in your post and suddenly saw the button appear BELOW the fast reply box. Pretty sneaky, how it's not even visible unless text is selected. Thanks!

That's precisely what I was talking about in my previous post. Glad to see dream.in.code has this feature :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

While I'm at it.. is there an easy way to get to the list of subscribed threads from when you are looking at a any thread? It seems the only way to do it is by clicking EDIT MY PROFILE and then VIEW SUBSCRIBED THREADS or something similar.. sorry for asking all those site specific questions but I want to be quick and efficient around here, as with all forums I use :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:34 PM

I like you already! You've been here what? Less then a day?

Never really used subscribed threads. I just read/respond to new ones.

However, no one can replace the place of Gabe Olson in my heart. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:53 PM

I like you already! You've been here what? Less then a day?

Try a few hours :P

Never really used subscribed threads. I just read/respond to new ones.

Wow. I LIVE by subscribed threads :). Nevermind that. I'll figure it out in time.

Who's Gabe Olson? I googled him and found that he's.. uh.. an actor?

Anyway.. I have a slight headache and it's almost 3AM. I gotta get to bed, badly.

Speak to you soon!

Oh and.. the feeling is mutual.
Good night.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• unleashed
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:04 AM

Anyway.. I have a slight headache and it's almost 3AM. I gotta get to bed, badly.

well 12 noon here in india and well i dont get a headavhe even if its 3 am. cant seem to sleep anyways nowdays i get up at 5 in the morning so i have to sleep bye 1
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:06 AM

Gabe Olson was a worker at the place I work who is really awesome and one of the best workers I've had. But today was his last day as his family is moving away in a week. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +