Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: java or c#

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: java or c#

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:16 AM

Neither.

No modern professional programming language is easy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:02 AM

Experienced programmers and new people have very different definitions of "easy". "Easy" is not always "better". Both languages are fairly simple, so it doesn't really matter what you choose.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:38 AM

If you stick this in Java, you will get biased answers...maybe corner cubicle is better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CEO of GeekTelligence
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:45 AM

It is a tough call, I personally would got with Java because it is cross platform and very flexible also if you learnt Java then wanted to learn C# it would be easy as they are very similar.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

Both languages are very easy and look nearly identical. I haven't used c# but I like some features of it which java doesn't have for example: delegates (anonymous functions), pointers, partial functions. However, java is better for cross platform projects, has a large standard library and many open source packages available.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

View Posts243a, on 02 April 2010 - 06:41 PM, said:

Both languages are very easy and look nearly identical. I haven't used c# [...]

That being said, I can see that you don't have much experience. How can you tell both languages are very easy without actually using one of them? No language is very easy - a developer is in the process of constant learning and sometimes it requires a lot of work to be done. Once again, as it was said before, everyone has their own understanding of easy. If it is easy for me to comprehend some library usage or API, this doesn't mean that someone else will pick it up the same way. It all depends on experience and abilities.

On topic, I would recommend reading this:
http://www.dreaminco...there-isnt-one/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Baller

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

I love questions like this. Its either both or neither. Really though, its two languages. Its not that tough to find an intro page to each, do a little reading, and decide which one to go with. In this case you could really go either way as they are almost clones.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

This is a personal thing. I really like that there are namespaces in C#, I just find that useful and it makes my life easier. Java is very modular, I'm not sure that it's much more modular, but it's still at least a bit more separated and abstract than C#. Both are memory managed languages, I think in terms of performance C# is a bit better because it doesn't have to be interpreted continuously every time the program is run. Also C# has a lot of very nice things built in that are difficult to do in java (or at least difficult for me to do), examples are the webclient and Regex classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Planeswalker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

Personally for game design I would say going with C# and XNA. Though I'm probably slightly biased here. You can use either. Best advice is to look at both languages and see which one you prefer. If you grasp Java better then go with Java. It will do the job. C# will also do the job and XNA makes game design, IMO, easier.

If you ever want a career as a game developer, it would be well worth your while starting with C and then trying C++ once you have the basic concepts of C down. Wolfcoder would say here not to go to C++ and stick with C though. In the industry you would more than likely end up using C++. Just an FYI.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

View PostCore, on 02 April 2010 - 09:57 AM, said:

View Posts243a, on 02 April 2010 - 06:41 PM, said:

Both languages are very eajsy and look nearly identical. I haven't used c# [...]

That being said, I can see that you don't have much experience. How can you tell both languages are very easy without actually using one of them? No language is very easy - a developer is in the process of constant learning and sometimes it requires a lot of work to be done. Once again, as it was said before, everyone has their own understanding of easy. If it is easy for me to comprehend some library usage or API, this doesn't mean that someone else will pick it up the same way. It all depends on experience and abilities.

On topic, I would recommend reading this:
http://www.dreaminco...there-isnt-one/

Agreed. Experienced programmers can't really judge what is easy and what is not, because they already understand it. Even if you struggle a lot as a beginner, you tend to forget about that over time.

Anyways, there was a thread a while back with lots of opinions and such here: http://www.dreaminco...62165-why-java/ In that thread, you'll find tons of reasons to use Java. Even I joined the fun, to provide input from a non-Java-but-JVM programmer's perspective. Sadly, I don't have a thread listing reasons to use C#, but I can assure you there are many.

I'm inclined to like C# because it gets more functional (paradigm) every time it evolves, and of course I love that. But, my love for the JVM and it's myriad of languages end up canceling that out in the end.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:52 AM

The OP asked which is easy.

Most replies have been concerned with which one is better.

The OP may have been imprecise, and may have wanted to know which is better.

But a possible implication is that he thinks easier is better.

Research suggests most novice programmers find most of programming very hard. The drop-out rate in intro programming courses (which are usually in Java, which is crazy) is very high. Most people answering on this forum did not drop out, and for them (and me) its all pretty easy. But many students on intro courses find basic programming notions like arrays, loops and conditionals very difficult, and OOP concepts impossible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:01 AM

View Postbeens, on 02 April 2010 - 12:10 AM, said:

which one is easy

They both are almost similar in their syntatic constructs. But as a c# user (and a Java dabbler once in a long while), i'd say it depends on you. But both for beginning programmers are very good because of their simple language (sytatic constructs). So choose ye this day which one language you'll use. Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

As someone that has used both and enjoys using both, I'd say they're both easy. But I have a few years of experience, and I'm myself and no one else, so, ultimately, my opinion means nothing.

What comes easily to some doesn't come easily to others. It's that simple.

If you're looking for cross-platform projects, Java is most likely the way to go. If you're doing Windows development, C# might be the better competitor, depending on the project.

As said before, the syntax of the two is almost identical. But it's really the APIs that matter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

View PostMercia Labs, on 02 April 2010 - 12:16 AM, said:

Neither.

No modern professional programming language is easy.

Any 14 year old can learn a modern programming language like Java and C# over the summer and write a networked database application by the end of it. Modern mainstream languages are very easy to learn, require minimum awareness of computer hardware, and have enough canned code libraries to achieve many complicated tasks.

This post has been edited by Galois: 06 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +