• (4 Pages)
  • +

51 Replies - 7694 Views - Last Post: 29 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:43 AM

Has to be the planning for me, I just can't plan before I write the code because I can't always think my way through how I would want it to run. I would be able to write a bit of code here and then have to move to a completely different section and get a bit done there and move again. Unfortunately this has tends to leave me with code that does not work at the end so I spend half of the project time patching all these piece of code together.

But there is also spelling, commenting, organising, optimisation...

makes me wonder sometimes why I enjoy programming so much.:bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

My biggest weakness is being given vague, shifting, and creeping requirements and put into a position where I cannot rebuke said demons.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:15 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 April 2010 - 07:11 AM, said:

My biggest weakness is being given vague, shifting, and creeping requirements and put into a position where I cannot rebuke said demons.

That's why before I start a contract all requirements are in the contract, and if they want anything changed/added then that is negotiated and the price will change. The client knows this upfront.

My biggest coding weakness it doing my own functionality creeping: Be working on a piece of functionality then thinking of cool stuff I can add "while I'm there". It's something I have to work on daily otherwise it can really slow me down.

I also have an issue of, when I finish a piece of functionality I instantly think of better ways to do what I just did, then rewrite it. It's all good to try and be as efficient as possible, but at some point you have to move forward or you never reach the finish line.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 04 April 2010 - 12:15 PM, said:

I also have an issue of, when I finish a piece of functionality I instantly think of better ways to do what I just did, then rewrite it. It's all good to try and be as efficient as possible, but at some point you have to move forward or you never reach the finish line.

I do the same thing. The only difference is that I start modifying my strategy before finishing a component

This post has been edited by erik.price: 04 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

I'm dyslexic so spelling is a big problem with me. I also hate programming this nice program only to find out it doesn't work, so debugging is a problem. It usually keeps me from programming at all. After reading through so posts I suppose I'm not good at commenting. I never really thought much of it cause usually I'm the only one looking at the code. Coding is more of a hobby for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:03 PM

Tunnel vision. When I think of way to achomplish something I often can see only that solution. Many times I have brute forced my way through something only to later realize that if took the time take a step back and think about it for a minute I could have done it with much more finese..and much less frustration. I also have a problem with getting a bit obsessive about projects I really get into. I will binge code, do nothing but code, think about coding, and most of my dreams are related to the project... it can get annoying hehe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

View PostlesPaul456, on 03 April 2010 - 08:06 PM, said:

My biggest weakness is that I tend to get really excited about a new project and jump right in without doing much planning. Once the initial inspiration wears off the project usually gets abandoned. I'm also kind of like SixOfEleven in that I get distracted easily. I've had a few projects going all at once because I was researching some stuff for one project and ran across an interesting blog. I started working on a project to test out what I read in the blog, but then I got an idea for a new game. Only one of those projects ever got finished.

You took the words right outta my mouth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

Freakin ; - I seem to always forget one here or there.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

View Postgregwhitworth, on 05 April 2010 - 07:23 AM, said:

Freakin ; - I seem to always forget one here or there.

--

Greg

Ughhh, I'm a VB .Net developer, and when I have to do some CSS for our ASP.NET stuff, I *always* forget the stupid ; in there, especially inline with the HTML.

Other than that, I'd say focus is hard for me as well. Debugging my issue, come across something else, dig into it, etc etc etc.

This post has been edited by code_junkie83: 05 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

Motivation and bad spelling. Accidentally forgetting one letter can fuck your whole program up lol. And with motivation, it's either no motivation, or a lot. When I have a lot, I just jump in, frantically code, get exhausted, then never touch it again. Then if I do decide to work on it again, I look at it and go "wtf was I thinking? This would've been so much easier if I'd have ____!!!" XD Prime example = P:N. See: my blog.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

My biggest weakness is that I like to have a lot of projects going at one time, and continue to add to them as I go. At the moment I have 3 projects in progress and am in the concept stages for about 3 more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

I can't beleive no-one has said this (either that or I'm just special) but my biggest weakness is comments (or the lack thereof).

I usually get so caught up in coding something that I forget to comment what I'm doing. I'll drop the occasional one-liners here and there if I think I've just done somethign obscure, but at the end I'm left with some 3000 lines and 10+ classes with about 4 comments between them. This is all fine and dandy until I come back 6 months later to extend the damn thing and forget what I had been doing. So now after all the fun stuff I am left with a good day or 2 of writing comments (YAY!).

Good times.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

Database table re-organization. I'm a big fan of one table to rule them all, and I constantly find myself adding new rows to my tables as I expand the codes and add new features, but I rarely go back and clean up the tables.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:35 PM

Baaad practice. You should never run an application off a single table, talk about performance degradation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:37 PM

I don't start coding until I have the code written and proved on a piece of paper, so my weaknesses mostly occur in the planning process.

I tend to focus on optimization and elegance too much too early. I give variables crappy non-descriptive names. I do not include enough comments for complex parts of the program. I can get very impatient.

This post has been edited by Galois: 05 April 2010 - 10:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +