What's your coding weakness?

  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

51 Replies - 7216 Views - Last Post: 29 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

#31 Yakyb  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: 04-June 08

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:28 AM

i have currently only been programming for about 3 years and it seems that every time i create a project about 80% of the way through i have learned so much more that i want to rewrite it making myself lose motivation to continue.

also at about this point i find that i loose faith in the stuff i have done previously and want to rewrite it which isnt very good when using OO languages
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#32 krismania  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 18
  • View blog
  • Posts: 148
  • Joined: 03-January 10

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

well I cant plan... at all. I guess planning isn't my thing...

also spelling. I count on the IDE to fix my little errors and spelling mistakes, but some of that might be because of my super crappy keyboard. missing keys, keys get stuck :(

I also don't organise my code. I copy/paste and add comments after im done and that just makes more mess (sometimes)

and maybe the worst thing is how often I use Ifs.
I once wrote a single sub that went on for ages... before I heard of anything that wasn't an If... :dontgetit:
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#33 sarmanu  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 965
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,362
  • Joined: 04-December 09

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

My biggest weakness? Probably lack of ideas for a new project ... I'm always thinking: "What should I create now?", and it takes some time until I figure out what the next project will be.

This post has been edited by sarmanu: 06 April 2010 - 11:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#34 EnvXOwner  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 357
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,319
  • Joined: 10-August 09

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

My coding weakness is that I'm not that experienced. Another one is I don't know a lot of languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#35 polymath  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 52
  • View blog
  • Posts: 670
  • Joined: 04-April 08

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

My biggest weakness would definatly be that I am great at seeing things on a macro level and how I can encapsulate things and fit them together. This means that anything I write is separated into 1000 differant tightly interconnected modules that won't even compile until 90% of the rest of the project, much less do something. So I'll finish code and at the first time I even compile anything the project is a few thousand lines long and riddled with as many minor syntax errors, and I lose motivation fixing every last trivial one, and I kind of give up because g ++ has such cryptic error messages and I am already on to another project, so I lose interest. I have the general structure of two kernals, a compiler, and an all purpose library sitting on my hard drive... I'm a bit of a code addict, I guess that's the problem. Solving the problem has become more fun than having the solution :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#36 midnightcowboy  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 11-April 10

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:46 AM

Everything to do with coding except the very basics =(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#37 Raynes  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 610
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,815
  • Joined: 05-January 09

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:32 AM

View PostVB.Terry, on 08 April 2010 - 11:46 AM, said:

My coding weakness is that I'm not that experienced. Another one is I don't know a lot of languages.


Not knowing many languages isn't necessarily a weakness. It's much better to be highly experienced in a couple of languages than to be able to write the Fibonacci sequence in 10 languages.

Personally, I'm only 'highly' experienced in Clojure. I can 'get by' with Haskell, but I don't use it enough to just be able to jump into a project with it on que without freshening up. If I had to, I could likely write an application in Factor by looking at reference docs for everything, and same with Ioke and Ruby, but I would be undoubtedly writing bad code.

Don't worry about knowing 10 thousand languages instantly. It takes years to become a good programmer for a reason. You need to pace yourself and use each language you learn until you are actually experienced with it. You can't do that with 10 languages at the same time.

Not only that, it's difficult to maintain your abilities in several languages. No matter how well you know a language, if you don't use it over time, you'll begin to lose important things. Then when it comes time to use the language again, you end up having to relearn certain things. There isn't really away around this, but it's part of the danger of trying to stuff too much into your head.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#38 EnvXOwner  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 357
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,319
  • Joined: 10-August 09

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

View PostRaynes, on 11 April 2010 - 03:32 AM, said:

View PostVB.Terry, on 08 April 2010 - 11:46 AM, said:

My coding weakness is that I'm not that experienced. Another one is I don't know a lot of languages.


Not knowing many languages isn't necessarily a weakness. It's much better to be highly experienced in a couple of languages than to be able to write the Fibonacci sequence in 10 languages.

Personally, I'm only 'highly' experienced in Clojure. I can 'get by' with Haskell, but I don't use it enough to just be able to jump into a project with it on que without freshening up. If I had to, I could likely write an application in Factor by looking at reference docs for everything, and same with Ioke and Ruby, but I would be undoubtedly writing bad code.

Don't worry about knowing 10 thousand languages instantly. It takes years to become a good programmer for a reason. You need to pace yourself and use each language you learn until you are actually experienced with it. You can't do that with 10 languages at the same time.

Not only that, it's difficult to maintain your abilities in several languages. No matter how well you know a language, if you don't use it over time, you'll begin to lose important things. Then when it comes time to use the language again, you end up having to relearn certain things. There isn't really away around this, but it's part of the danger of trying to stuff too much into your head.


The programming languages I know are Java, VB.NET, and a little C#. The markup languages I know are HTML, CSS, Javascript, and a little PHP. I guess I'm advance for my age.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#39 Galois  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 28
  • View blog
  • Posts: 207
  • Joined: 27-March 10

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

View PostVB.Terry, on 12 April 2010 - 04:20 PM, said:

The programming languages I know are Java, VB.NET, and a little C#. The markup languages I know are HTML, CSS, Javascript, and a little PHP. I guess I'm advance for my age.


If you think that CSS, Javascript, and PHP are markup languages then you are not advanced for your age. At all.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#40 johnmatthais  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 12
  • View blog
  • Posts: 271
  • Joined: 21-January 09

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

My coding weakness is that I constantly jump ship while I'm learning a language so I don't really get anywhere.

I know in the past I've had quite a few people want to play games that I've designed, but I've never really had the willpower to pull a plan into execution. It's a shame too, because I'm sure I could at least get honorable mention in indie contests with some of these games if I ever actually made them.

I'm trying though. Slowly but surely, I'm finally getting there with C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#41 DCEast  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 15-March 10

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:18 AM

Where to start?

I'll sometimes (most of the times) write code without doing the math first. This 9 out of 10 times will lead to incorrect results.

I won't plan out my program before I write the code. Beginning a program is hard enough as it is so not having a plan usually isn't a great idea.

I used make assumptions on how certain things work without actually knowing for sure. However, this has hurt me one to many of times, so I eventually weeded this bad habit out.

Also, I'm a student who tries to learn other languages on top of the ones being taught already so I jumble syntax up all the time.

Indentation for sure. If I'm not using an IDE my code structure can get gruesome.

All in all though I believe that it is the flaws we have as programmers that create our style and identity. Kudos on the really good topic.

View Postjohnmatthais, on 12 April 2010 - 08:21 PM, said:

My coding weakness is that I constantly jump ship while I'm learning a language so I don't really get anywhere.

I know in the past I've had quite a few people want to play games that I've designed, but I've never really had the willpower to pull a plan into execution. It's a shame too, because I'm sure I could at least get honorable mention in indie contests with some of these games if I ever actually made them.

I'm trying though. Slowly but surely, I'm finally getting there with C++.


I definitely understand this one. I once jumped around so much I ended up learning JaVisualBasiC++. Not exactly what I had in mind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#42 HilaryP  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 7
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 25-January 10

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

Great topic! I'm very much the opposite of what most of you have posted. I spend a ton of time planning, defining, and designing and I don't prototype enough. Sometimes I end up wasting time because the original design was not feasible and I would have know it if I had spent more time jumping right in.

Makes me a good PM though :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#43 BenignDesign  Icon User is offline

  • holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon




Reputation: 5753
  • View blog
  • Posts: 10,077
  • Joined: 28-September 07

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

My biggest weakness is database planning. I tend to jump in and create tables based on immediate need rather than stepping back and considering what areas should be linked from one table to another.

As a result, I spend a lot of time adding and removing fields from database tables and rewriting code to reflect these changes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#44 horsegrl24  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 4
  • View blog
  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: 07-March 10

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:03 AM

I'm finding right now that my biggest problem is spelling and punctuation meaning for getting to close a bracket or not closing a tag, etc while developing a website.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#45 W3bDev  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 42
  • View blog
  • Posts: 379
  • Joined: 15-March 09

Re: What's your coding weakness?

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

I'm with you Benign, database design sucks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4