4 Replies - 1647 Views - Last Post: 02 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

What are some key programming languages to learn?

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

I was just thinking.. what are some key programing languages to learn that are being used by the High tech industry and those people have the most demand and are able to find a job quickly right after college?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What are some key programming languages to learn?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What are some key programming languages to learn?

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

Just be familiar with mainstream languages like C, Java, C#, and Python. And for your own enlightenment, learn a functional language, like Scheme or Haskell. However, I don't think that companies are looking for people who know a specific language - you can learn those in couple weeks. My roommate got an internship to Google, even though he didn't know Python - one of the requirements for the position. No problem, he quickly picked it up and was fluently using Python along with its libraries.

You should be really concerned about your knowledge of the theory, logic and problem solving abilities - those are the things that make a programmer. What's the point of getting a person who claims to be an expert at some language (if that thing even makes sense) if he's gonna write some trash without putting any thought into it.

This post has been edited by Galois: 02 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

so there is not a key language that the high tech industry uses. I know that all the telecommunications have a key language of Java.. so Java programs most likely are to end up in the cell phone related programing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

Well, there is no one language that the industry uses. Coming back to the Google example, my roommate was using Python when he got his internship there. However, Google is also looking for C programmers. Companies use different languages for different purposes, as they should. Since you never know where you will end up, it makes no sense to focus on a single language. Just be familiar with most mainstream languages.

This post has been edited by Galois: 02 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

It is more about knowing the concepts of programming than knowing every language out there. This includes the more advanced concepts like threading and concurrency, GUI development, animations and graphics, DBC, File I/O, Networking, etc. If you know the concept for a given topic, then the syntax of a language should be fairly straight-forward to pick up.

You may also want to take a look at this thread, which talks about which languages to learn and reasons for each.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1