How much do I need to know to get a job?

I have a computer science degree

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 4528 Views - Last Post: 13 April 2010 - 04:14 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How much do I need to know to get a job?

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:00 AM

Hello, I graduated in November of last year. I have a bachelors of science in computer science. But the last classes I took where not programming classes. It's been over six months since I really programmed and I have forgotten much of my programming. But I still remember what some ideas and concepts are(pointers, abstract data types, object oriented programming, polymorphism, inheritence etc.). How much do I need to know to get a job? As I understand most places will train you so is it necessary to have programming skills to be as good as they were when I graduated?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How much do I need to know to get a job?

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How much do I need to know to get a job?

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

The positions I see posted lately have as requirements everything but the kitchen sink. I'm not sure what is going on. I think there are still several applicants for every position so they are fishing trying to get as much as possible for their dollar...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

This much |---------------|

It completely depends on their requirements, junior programmer or something typically has the lowest requirements qualification wise.

I guess you could estimate by the salary, no one will be paying 50k+ a year for someone with average programming experience IMO.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

View PostBacanze, on 09 April 2010 - 12:10 PM, said:

This much |---------------|

It completely depends on their requirements, junior programmer or something typically has the lowest requirements qualification wise.

I guess you could estimate by the salary, no one will be paying 50k+ a year for someone with average programming experience IMO.

I don't want to sound like I'm arguing with you or questioning your response because I assure you I'm not. I'm just curios to know how fresh computer science graduates can even hope to get a job when they get out of school if most employers are not willing to mentor new recruits and are looking for people who are already ace coders. How do those who have graduated already and those of us who are still in school stand a chance?

This post has been edited by Codebug: 10 April 2010 - 06:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:14 AM

Have you concidered applying for an internship
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1