Im looking for advices

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 1304 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2010 - 10:35 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where to start?

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

Hello all,
I was looking around for few days for finding a new game creation engine to my self.

I've used few different engines like Game Maker(Using a language which is mix of delphi and java), Game Core 3d also tried few others .

Im good enough on Game Maker but its too weak for creating games in 3D so i dont want to use it anymore. Game Core 3d is pretty nice program which allows you to make games with good graphics but it lacks at tutorials i think.

So im looking for advices, where to start? Which program i should use and which tutorials i should follow.

Note : Im not looking for a lame program which dont even have a coding language and allows you to make game with 2 clicks

Regards

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where to start?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where to start?

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:33 AM

Well if you are serious about making some killer 3D games one engine you could try is Torque 3D which can create some pretty stunning stuff, has a full TorqueScript coding scheme and has a ton of documentation on their site using tutorials tailored to the type of developer you are... an artist, scripter, or new user. You can read up on it at the following link...

Torque 3D

It also has a support community of over 150k+ users. You can try the demo for free, but the downside is that the full professional product is 1000 dollars. Again, if you are serious then this cost isn't too bad for the type of stuff you could create and get access to.

Now if you are already familiar with OpenGL or Direct3D a library that you could also look into is Ogre3D. It is a 3D OPEN SOURCE library that has been used in a bunch of high profile gaming projects. I have included their link below as well...

OGRE - Open Source 3D Graphics Engine

These are the types of products you should look at if you are really wanting to get into some serious 3D game making. If you are still tinkering, of course you can just play with XNA, OpenGL or DirectX which can make some great stuff but may or may not be along the lines you are thinking.

It is up to you. There are some choices. Enjoy! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 10 April 2010 - 08:33 AM, said:

Well if you are serious about making some killer 3D games one engine you could try is Torque 3D which can create some pretty stunning stuff, has a full TorqueScript coding scheme and has a ton of documentation on their site using tutorials tailored to the type of developer you are... an artist, scripter, or new user. You can read up on it at the following link...

Torque 3D

It also has a support community of over 150k+ users. You can try the demo for free, but the downside is that the full professional product is 1000 dollars. Again, if you are serious then this cost isn't too bad for the type of stuff you could create and get access to.

Now if you are already familiar with OpenGL or Direct3D a library that you could also look into is Ogre3D. It is a 3D OPEN SOURCE library that has been used in a bunch of high profile gaming projects. I have included their link below as well...

OGRE - Open Source 3D Graphics Engine

These are the types of products you should look at if you are really wanting to get into some serious 3D game making. If you are still tinkering, of course you can just play with XNA, OpenGL or DirectX which can make some great stuff but may or may not be along the lines you are thinking.

It is up to you. There are some choices. Enjoy! :)

Yes, im pretty serious :P
Torque looks cool but i dont really think i can afford $1000 (at least for now)

It'll be cool if other people give me advices too
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

The Unity Game Development Tool is a really nice resource. They have a free version, which used to cost $200. Unity is pretty easy to use, and a fairly large community. You need to know a little of one of the following languages: Javascript, C#, Boo.

There's XNA Game Studio, which allows you to make games for Windows, Xbox, Zune (and Windows Phone in the new release). Its pretty easy to use, although there aren't any editors and you need to know C# pretty well.

Another free engine I like to use is Irrlicht. You need to know C++ to use Irrlicht, but its pretty easy to use and has many tutorials and a large community. There is free level editor you can use with Irrlicht.

Another popular engine is the Dark GDK. The Dark GDK is very easy to use, is free, and has a pretty good sized community. There aren't any editors for the Dark GDK either.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

View PostlesPaul456, on 10 April 2010 - 09:37 AM, said:

The Unity Game Development Tool is a really nice resource. They have a free version, which used to cost $200. Unity is pretty easy to use, and a fairly large community. You need to know a little of one of the following languages: Javascript, C#, Boo.

There's XNA Game Studio, which allows you to make games for Windows, Xbox, Zune (and Windows Phone in the new release). Its pretty easy to use, although there aren't any editors and you need to know C# pretty well.

Another free engine I like to use is Irrlicht. You need to know C++ to use Irrlicht, but its pretty easy to use and has many tutorials and a large community. There is free level editor you can use with Irrlicht.

Another popular engine is the Dark GDK. The Dark GDK is very easy to use, is free, and has a pretty good sized community. There aren't any editors for the Dark GDK either.

Thanks for answer!

I heard Irrlicht and test it because it was also supporting GML (Game Maker Language)

I'll have a look at Dark GDK i think

any other replies will be also cool
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:19 AM

There is this program called Unity, go to unity3d.com, it's pritty cool!

How do I delete this post?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:17 AM

Epic has released Unreal Engine 3 for public use under the UDK.

The UDK is completely free for non commercial use. A commercial license is only $99 + 25% of any sales over $5000.

Not a bad deal, IMHO.

Link:
http://www.udk.com/

This post has been edited by Tsunami14: 12 April 2010 - 09:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:02 AM

I checked darkgdk it looks like good but i think i can still look up some other engines
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

In my opinion to anyone reading this, right now i am using the Unity 3D engine. It is to me one of the easiest engines to work with. When creating a new game, it gives you project window so at all times you can view your assets. As well, it works with most 3D applications like Maya, and you don't even have to export models. as long as you have maya installed on the computer you are using unity it all works together. Also a nice thing like for me who has learned maya and it is my primary modeling program is that you can move around the unity engine just like maya. As well, I myself not knowing javascript, basically taught myself by using the Scripting manual that provides every syntax you can use in unity along with the extensive forum they have. if you don't know it, someone on there does.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1