hi all please help

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 3831 Views - Last Post: 13 April 2010 - 01:09 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

VB.NET game engines

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

hi there... I use VB.NET and i have a licence to make a game from a real life place... just have one more licence to get....

now i have been searching on google for weeks looking for a game engine for vb.net or a wrapper so that I can program in vb.net so suite my needs... my needs are as follow...

Physics = Vehicel physics, collision Detection, Rigid Body,
Mesh = mesh loading, deformation
sound = 2D Sound, 3D Sound, Streaming Sound:
Shadows = Shadow Mapping,
Networking System = Client-Server, Peer-to-Peer, Master Server
Artificial Intelligence = Pathfinding
Animation = Not sure yet
Texturing = Basic, Multi-texturing
Lighting = Lightmapping
Rendering = Render-to-Texture, Fonts, GUI

one of the MOST import parts of the engine is the Mesh Deformation as its a "uk banger" racing game cars hit each other to smash them up... abit like the old demolition derby games you used to get on ps1

if anyone knows of a good engine (like everyone its always nice for it to be free) that supports the best part of the things i need (mostly the deformation) i would love the info and advice

thanks for you time reading this

Kev

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: VB.NET game engines

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: VB.NET game engines

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:38 AM

Well if you are using .NET then any of the XNA engines should be free to use and widely available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:25 AM

thanks for the reply but im trying to stay away from the XNA scene its mainly for c# and alot you cant do with it in vb.net plus it has always seamed laggy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

I haven't seen or heard of any game engines designed specifically for VB.NET. As, modi123_1 mentioned, there are some people who have used XNA with VB.NET. I'm not sure why you think XNA is "laggy", though.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

View PostTADS, on 13 April 2010 - 10:25 AM, said:

thanks for the reply but im trying to stay away from the XNA scene its mainly for c# and alot you cant do with it in vb.net plus it has always seamed laggy

Okay.. well I'm going to break a bit of hard news to you - VB.NET is not the most appropriate forum to build a game. The only decent way of doing a game through the .NET library *is* XNA.

My guess is when you say "alot you cant do with it in vb.net" you are attempting to do something wonky with the GUI toolbox controls and not wanting to learn the more proper way in XNA. Got an example?

XNA is not really laggy at all - assuming your code is halfway decent. Let's face it - C# and VB.NET are super similar that to switch between the two is pretty trivial.

But I digress.. so what.. are you going to be using some sort of Directx library?

View PostlesPaul456, on 13 April 2010 - 11:26 AM, said:

I haven't seen or heard of any game engines designed specifically for VB.NET. As, modi123_1 mentioned, there are some people who have used XNA with VB.NET. I'm not sure why you think XNA is "laggy", though.

Word..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

ok im taking it you are XNA though and though so im not going to go into that... i didnt like using XNA or the framework so i stay away from it... and to start with to make something in vb.net and XNA u have to read c# code and even tho people say c# and vb.net is very much the same i cant read c# so i stick to vb.net.

i have been doing somehting with TV3D but there is no chance to implement mesh deformation unless u can read and understand c++ and then use physx with it... there aint much help with physx and vb.net but yet again there is some with c# and again i find it very hard to read c#... i know there is converters for c# to vb.net but this dont always work... so i though i would post in a forum they i have had quite abit of help on in the past to see if i could find another game engine/sdk i could possibly use.

thanks again for your replys and feedback tho :)

Kev
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

View PostTADS, on 13 April 2010 - 01:06 PM, said:

ok im taking it you are XNA though and though so im not going to go into that...

That is partially true, but really if it's .NET it should be XNA or some sort of DirectX.

i didnt like using XNA or the framework so i stay away from it... and to start with to make something in vb.net and XNA u have to read c# code and even tho people say c# and vb.net is very much the same i cant read c# so i stick to vb.net.

Odd, but ok. I'll address this below.

i have been doing somehting with TV3D but there is no chance to implement mesh deformation unless u can read and understand c++ and then use physx with it... there aint much help with physx and vb.net but yet again there is some with c# and again i find it very hard to read c#... i know there is converters for c# to vb.net but this dont always work...

I'm just saying, if everything is pointing to c++, c, and c# it might behoove you to take the time and learn it. If you fancy yourself a game developer as a career you will not be able to stay in VB.NEt land for long. Trying to kludge something together with a language that isn't really built for it leads to frustration, unfinished projects, a dislike for game programming, and bad habits.

so i though i would post in a forum they i have had quite abit of help on in the past to see if i could find another game engine/sdk i could possibly use.

thanks again for your replys and feedback tho :)

Kev

well there's always this list: http://www.devmaster...hp?fid=6&sid=13
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for your post again :)
yea have looked on that site... and read lots about the engines on there.. i wanted to work with C++ and brought myself a course at the game institute for game dev but just couldnt get my head round C++ atall lol. any ways i will keep looking and might find one soon as i stop looking! always the way!

then there is always directX out the box so could go down that route

thanks again for the feedback and advice :)

Kev
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1