5 Replies - 5002 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2010 - 11:23 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Asp.net configuration error on server

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

FTP-ed asp.net project to server. WIll not run on server--error in confiration file. What does this mean? HELP HELP! Thanks.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Asp.net configuration error on server

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Asp.net configuration error on server

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:09 PM

There could be many reasons why you are getting this error. But the error is telling you that it has to do with your web.config file. Post your web.config file and we would be better able to help.

One common problem is that you may have to set the correct ASP.NET Version in IIS. The Default for this is Version 1.1 but it should be set to Version 2.0 for current versions of ASP.NET. If you are on a shared server you will have to go into your control panel or have your provider set it for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:47 AM

How about posting what the actual error is. That would be helpful since there are hundreds of errors that could occur.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

Here is full statement of problem and the configuration file. Please help me. Thanks

Problem: ASP.Net project will run locally but will not run on host server.

ASP.Net project includes several button, several text boxes, and a few website references. Nothing completed. No updating and no database.

Runs perfectly when run from Visual Studio 2003 using IIS V5.1. Runs perfectly when run locally using:

http//localhost/RGWebSite/WebForm1.aspx

However, after I FTP all components to web host, I get the follow error:

http://www.ralphgarn...e/WebForm1.aspx

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 37: by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile services for member sites.
Line 38: -->
Line 39: <authentication mode="None" />
Line 40:
Line 41:

Source File: c:\websites\4n6ykg\rgwebsite\web.config Line: 39

Show Additional Configuration Errors:

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. (c:\websites\4n6ykg\rgwebsite\web.config line 72)

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4028

I have tried several changes for config file, and even tried to run without it, but nothing works.

I have no idea what this means or how to correct this problem. Have researched it for several hours with no results.
Can you help me.

Below is configuration file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>

<system.web>

<!-- DYNAMIC DEBUG COMPILATION
Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging symbols (.pdb information)
into the compiled page. Because this creates a larger file that executes
more slowly, you should set this value to true only when debugging and to
false at all other times. For more information, refer to the documentation about
debugging ASP.NET files.
-->
<compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true" />

<!-- CUSTOM ERROR MESSAGES
Set customErrors mode="On" or "RemoteOnly" to enable custom error messages, "Off" to disable.
Add <error> tags for each of the errors you want to handle.

"On" Always display custom (friendly) messages.
"Off" Always display detailed ASP.NET error information.
"RemoteOnly" Display custom (friendly) messages only to users not running
on the local Web server. This setting is recommended for security purposes, so
that you do not display application detail information to remote clients.
-->
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" />

<!-- AUTHENTICATION
This section sets the authentication policies of the application. Possible modes are "Windows",
"Forms", "Passport" and "None"

"None" No authentication is performed.
"Windows" IIS performs authentication (Basic, Digest, or Integrated Windows) according to
its settings for the application. Anonymous access must be disabled in IIS.
"Forms" You provide a custom form (Web page) for users to enter their credentials, and then
you authenticate them in your application. A user credential token is stored in a cookie.
"Passport" Authentication is performed via a centralized authentication service provided
by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile services for member sites.
-->
<authentication mode="Windows" />

<!-- AUTHORIZATION
This section sets the authorization policies of the application. You can allow or deny access
to application resources by user or role. Wildcards: "*" mean everyone, "?" means anonymous
(unauthenticated) users.
-->
<authorization>
<allow users="*" /> <!-- Allow all users -->

<!-- <allow users="[comma separated list of users]"
roles="[comma separated list of roles]"/>
<deny users="[comma separated list of users]"
roles="[comma separated list of roles]"/>
-->
</authorization>

<!-- APPLICATION-LEVEL TRACE LOGGING
Application-level tracing enables trace log output for every page within an application.
Set trace enabled="true" to enable application trace logging. If pageOutput="true", the
trace information will be displayed at the bottom of each page. Otherwise, you can view the
application trace log by browsing the "trace.axd" page from your web application
root.
-->
<trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false" traceMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true" />

<!-- SESSION STATE SETTINGS
By default ASP.NET uses cookies to identify which requests belong to a particular session.
If cookies are not available, a session can be tracked by adding a session identifier to the URL.
To disable cookies, set sessionState cookieless="true".
-->
<sessionState
mode="InProc"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes"
cookieless="false"
timeout="20"
/>

<!-- GLOBALIZATION
This section sets the globalization settings of the application.
-->
<globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" />

</system.web>

</configuration>

Thanks

Ralph Garner

Below is text of first screen without the buttons:

Executive Overview
Ralph Garner, an independent computer consultant d/b/a Ralph Garner Associates (RGA), has over 35 years of experience providing computer programming services to senior executives and business owners. As professional Microsoft application developers, We help define, analyze, design, program and install corporate software solutions.
RGA helps corporations profit from the changing computer environment and latest, powerful computer techniques. We turn corporate concepts into realistic, viable solutions. We develop practical, error-free code around a clean and flexible system design, with easy-to-use screens.
Protecting Your Software Investment
RGA designs insure that future modifications are simplified. Most applications are integrated into a single project, making all development components easy to find, which speeds development, testing and upgrading. In most cases, we use the standard Microsoft family of products.
We use a simple, well-defined system design strategy at every level, and easy-to-read coding methodology. This creates test solutions for approval before final installation. This result in a finely-honed, pre-approved business solution at a reasonable cost.
RALPH GARNER ASSOCIATES
Serving Westchester, Southern Connecticut, and NYC Metro Area
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

check this out...

http://www.dreaminco...-with-an-error/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

Ralph,
I agree with eclipsed4utoo.
When I navigate to http://www.ralphgarnerassociates.com/ the site resolves. But when I go to http://www.ralphgarn...e/WebForm1.aspx it throws the error.
You need to set up a separate website for RGWWebsite, or at least set that folder as an application in IIS. Also check your DNS settings as well
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1