See? This is why macs suck.

  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »

72 Replies - 3059 Views - Last Post: 16 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

#16 johnmatthais  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 12
  • View blog
  • Posts: 271
  • Joined: 21-January 09

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

Look, Google Android line of phones: The devkit is completely open source, just like most Google products. You don't like it? Go Google.

However, I have to ask. Does this mean no more using Unity?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 dorknexus  Icon User is offline

  • or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

Reputation: 1256
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,618
  • Joined: 02-May 04

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

Right, but the optical mouse in this case is new and useful. It improves upon the previous design therefore it can acquire it's own patent. The general requirements for a patent are that it is new, non-obvious, and useful. If that happens to be a way to interact with something, then so be it. Creativity comes in all shapes and forms, and saying that creativity in interfaces shouldn't be protected is just sorta crazy.

If i invent a way to use brain waves to type messages on your computer (which actually already exists to some extent) then I shouldn't be able to patent that because it serves the same purpose as my keyboard?

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 13 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 PsychoCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

Reputation: 1642
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,853
  • Joined: 26-July 07

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

View Postsbell1099, on 13 April 2010 - 06:21 PM, said:

Apple might be limiting us developers, and you can say its not fair but Microsofts release .net 4.0 with Visual Studio meaning that the first product with .net 4.0 options is Microsofts product. I don't see you slagging them.


Well that might be because .Net is only produced by a single company, Microsoft. I don't see Microsoft limiting what languages applications can be written in to run on Windows do they? I don't see Microsoft saying what hardware you're allowed to run do they?

View Postsbell1099, on 13 April 2010 - 06:21 PM, said:

I might have a mac yes, but i still think that windows is a better environment for development and has a better base for looking for open source applications. But mac is better for not being able to catch virus's as easy and for not BSODing me ever 2 minutes.

So what if the hardware is the same as any other computers apple also support you in ways that are better. I'm sorry if your computer breaks you get shifted around from your OS manufacturer and hardware developer when apple are one medium which keeps it simple and don't pass the blame. Apples customer care is exceptional.


My take on this argument and I will say no more on that front


Apple would love a world of closed computing, where they have 100% say in what you run, how you run it, when you can run it and for how long you can run it, that's been proven by them time and time again and this is just another example of their tyrannical type of business practices
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 Locke  Icon User is offline

  • Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

Reputation: 521
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,596
  • Joined: 20-March 08

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

View PostKYA, on 13 April 2010 - 09:57 PM, said:

View PostGalois, on 13 April 2010 - 08:47 PM, said:

Macs don't suck. They are just made for a... special type of people. If you still don't know who those people are, may I suggest you Google "typical macintosh user" and click the third link?


Fuck. I did not need to see that.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 Choscura  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover


Reputation: 466
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,228
  • Joined: 18-October 08

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:44 AM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 13 April 2010 - 08:07 PM, said:

Right, but the optical mouse in this case is new and useful. It improves upon the previous design therefore it can acquire it's own patent. The general requirements for a patent are that it is new, non-obvious, and useful. If that happens to be a way to interact with something, then so be it. Creativity comes in all shapes and forms, and saying that creativity in interfaces shouldn't be protected is just sorta crazy.

If i invent a way to use brain waves to type messages on your computer (which actually already exists to some extent) then I shouldn't be able to patent that because it serves the same purpose as my keyboard?


well, that's the thing- apple is going after guys that are doing something in a new way. it's still a mouse but the operating principle (ie, mouse ball vs optical sensor) is uniquely derived. apple did multi-touch (mouse ball) and then android, iirc, did multi touch (optical mouse) and apple still threatened to sue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#21 danny_kay1710  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 29
  • View blog
  • Posts: 359
  • Joined: 27-April 08

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:24 AM

View Postsbell1099, on 14 April 2010 - 02:21 AM, said:

No hold on! Apple have the right do what they want to their own operating system, and this isn't new news i did a post about it on my blog the day the IPhone 4.0 OS was released.

Apple might be limiting us developers, and you can say its not fair but Microsofts release .net 4.0 with Visual Studio meaning that the first product with .net 4.0 options is Microsofts product. I don't see you slagging them.


Although I agree you should be able to develop .NET apps on Mac as Windows users should be able to develop for the Mac and iPhone - Microsoft haven't told me that I can only use 3 tools to develop for .Net and Microsoft don't go Big Brother on my code.

View Postsbell1099, on 14 April 2010 - 02:21 AM, said:

I might have a mac yes, but i still think that windows is a better environment for development and has a better base for looking for open source applications. But mac is better for not being able to catch virus's as easy and for not BSODing me ever 2 minutes.


You can catch viruses there just aren't that many targeting you. It is extremely naive to think your immune. You will always be in a better position to avoid viruses whilst the Apple market share is as low.

View Postsbell1099, on 14 April 2010 - 02:21 AM, said:

So what if the hardware is the same as any other computers apple also support you in ways that are better. I'm sorry if your computer breaks you get shifted around from your OS manufacturer and hardware developer when apple are one medium which keeps it simple and don't pass the blame. Apples customer care is exceptional.


Agreed. Apple support is better because it is all in one place.

View Postsbell1099, on 14 April 2010 - 02:21 AM, said:

I agree how they sensor the app store is uncalled for and morally wrong. An example is that they wouldn't allow opera mini to be a browser so opera kicked there arse by loading the page on there server then showing the user it. But its their decision.

No because there Xcode development environment is good and you can use 3rd party tools as a matter of fact just not compile through another way. Which was mostly aimed at adobe due to them being dicks, as they didn't support mac properly - even with 8gbs of ram i load a YT video in full screen and it crashes for a second or two.

So adobe dissevered it as now flash Cs5 is not allowed to compile to the Iphone.


So Apple have used their position to directly affect competition from Adobe? Hmmm... seems like Apple can be monopolistic but other companies get instantly shot down for this (and rightly so I might add)

Adobe's code isn't the best with regards to Flash but Apple still shouldn't use underhanded tactics like this - they have already stopped flash getting onto the phone leave it at that for crying out loud.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 BenignDesign  Icon User is offline

  • holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon




Reputation: 6213
  • View blog
  • Posts: 10,727
  • Joined: 28-September 07

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:13 AM

View PostLocke, on 14 April 2010 - 12:11 AM, said:

View PostKYA, on 13 April 2010 - 09:57 PM, said:

View PostGalois, on 13 April 2010 - 08:47 PM, said:

Macs don't suck. They are just made for a... special type of people. If you still don't know who those people are, may I suggest you Google "typical macintosh user" and click the third link?


Fuck. I did not need to see that.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 danny_kay1710  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 29
  • View blog
  • Posts: 359
  • Joined: 27-April 08

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:59 AM

OK, I had resisted the above search...but I gave in

And how I wish I hadn't :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 Keiran  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 49
  • Joined: 06-December 09

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:26 AM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 13 April 2010 - 07:26 PM, said:

It's not morally wrong to censor apps. It's their god damned store. They get to say what is and isn't sold in it. If you don't like it, stop using it. You have options. Welcome to a the free market.

Quote

If I make a machine that you put in your pocket and it lets you fly and I don't tell *anyone* how to make it, but someone comes up with the exact same machine- on their own, and which works on a different operating principle- the very next day, I don't think I should be able to sue them for infringement because the patent should be on the way that my machine works, not on machines that let you fly as a category.


Unfortunately for you, that is essentially how US patent law works. You couldn't take legal action against anyone though until your patent was approved for your invention. You would also need some sort of evidence to prove that you did indeed come up with the invention before the other guy.


It is NOT 'morally wrong' to do so apple censor their apps to protect themselves and their user. As for the adobe battle. Flash is going out of date. it will be replaced in the future.

If Apple allowed flash...

...There would be a barrage of stupid apps that do nothing spamming the app store. The review process will rake 10 times longer. And it will annoy me when trying to submit real apps
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 sbell1099  Icon User is offline

  • Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

Reputation: 16
  • View blog
  • Posts: 685
  • Joined: 28-October 08

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:52 AM

View Postdanny_kay1710, on 14 April 2010 - 08:24 AM, said:

View Postsbell1099, on 14 April 2010 - 02:21 AM, said:

I might have a mac yes, but i still think that windows is a better environment for development and has a better base for looking for open source applications. But mac is better for not being able to catch virus's as easy and for not BSODing me ever 2 minutes.


You can catch viruses there just aren't that many targeting you. It is extremely naive to think your immune. You will always be in a better position to avoid viruses whilst the Apple market share is as low.

Yes thats why I said not get them as easy, i know you can still catch viruses and thats why i keep upto date with my Avast for mac!



View PostKeiran, on 14 April 2010 - 10:26 AM, said:

If Apple allowed flash...

...There would be a barrage of stupid apps that do nothing spamming the app store. The review process will rake 10 times longer. And it will annoy me when trying to submit real apps


Yes i agree but if the Iphone run fast at all it won't be worth it as it would be the OSX version striped down and with the performance as bad on OSX, imagine a smart phones performance.

It would suck! :gunsmilie:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 Bort  Icon User is offline

  • Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

Reputation: 436
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,064
  • Joined: 18-September 06

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:17 AM

View PostKYA, on 13 April 2010 - 07:57 PM, said:

View PostGalois, on 13 April 2010 - 08:47 PM, said:

Macs don't suck. They are just made for a... special type of people. If you still don't know who those people are, may I suggest you Google "typical macintosh user" and click the third link?



Fuck. I did not need to see that.


After you said this, I had to go look...My eyes...They burn...

@Galois: That was just wrong.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#27 gabehabe  Icon User is offline

  • GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon




Reputation: 1383
  • View blog
  • Posts: 10,962
  • Joined: 06-February 08

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:50 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 14 April 2010 - 09:13 AM, said:

View PostLocke, on 14 April 2010 - 12:11 AM, said:

View PostKYA, on 13 April 2010 - 09:57 PM, said:

View PostGalois, on 13 April 2010 - 08:47 PM, said:

Macs don't suck. They are just made for a... special type of people. If you still don't know who those people are, may I suggest you Google "typical macintosh user" and click the third link?


Fuck. I did not need to see that.

Am I the only one here who was *not* bothered by this picture in the least? Me and my henchman were eating, we have strong stomachs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#28 Bort  Icon User is offline

  • Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

Reputation: 436
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,064
  • Joined: 18-September 06

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:53 AM

Not gonna ask what you were eating...And was that a pic of your henchman eating by any chance? lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 gabehabe  Icon User is offline

  • GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon




Reputation: 1383
  • View blog
  • Posts: 10,962
  • Joined: 06-February 08

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:12 AM

I was eating mini eggs, and no, my henchman doesn't eat *that* much poo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#30 NeoTifa  Icon User is offline

  • Whorediot
  • member icon





Reputation: 2776
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15,878
  • Joined: 24-September 08

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:21 AM

Wow, that much reaction over one picture? It was blocked for pornography and extreme. XD Maybe I don't want to see it after all.

And as for the OT, if I comment, I might get in trouble. XD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »