See? This is why macs suck.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

72 Replies - 2835 Views - Last Post: 16 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: See? This is why macs suck.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:37 PM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 14 April 2010 - 08:28 PM, said:

You can't be serious! Not providing a Native Intel version meant that it had to be run in Rosetta, which meant a significant performance hit for Photoshop users, and costing Apple sales.

it only meant that they had to wait for the next version to come out. this makes sense because if it took them 3 months to prepare the code to run in a universal binary they would be better spent putting that 3 months of universal binary work into the NEW VERSION so they can make MONEY. shocking i know. not to mention, this problem effected only the extreme minority of users who had happened to buy the latest intel based macs. this was not a concern for 95% of users for the maximum of 12 months before the new version was out.

this is kind of like if chris had decided to do a full implementation of the reputation feature on the old message board software. it wouldn't have made sense fiscally or with his time and effort because he knew the new software was coming out and the forum would be upgraded and that feature would have to be done again. twice the effort, not even close to half the positive results.

you are creating conclusions you want to be there, not what is actually there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:14 AM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 15 April 2010 - 01:48 AM, said:

(or even another mobile OS!)

http://www.engadget....sh-has-arrived/ :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:34 AM

Yea gabe, I ponder why they call the Apple Techs a 'Genius'... baffles me. The guy told me I wouldn't be able to do it without their special tool to remove the plexiglass screen, total BS. I just used one of my precision flat head screw drivers and it came of like a charm... so hey 'Genius' GFYS! ..lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:43 AM

View Postgabehabe, on 15 April 2010 - 02:14 AM, said:

View PostCTphpnwb, on 15 April 2010 - 01:48 AM, said:

(or even another mobile OS!)

http://www.engadget....sh-has-arrived/ :)

You missed the important part of the quote:

I think that if they get Flash working properly on the Mac (or even another mobile OS!) then Apple will reconsider allowing it on the iPhone.

So while it's fine that they've got it running on another mobile OS, what they really need to do is prove that it works properly: ie, it isn't a processor hog, doesn't detract from the development of the platform, and tens of millions of users prefer the phone because it has Flash on it. They can do that by eating into iPhone sales. Good luck with that. My feeling is that any sales it makes will cost Windows mobile customers, not the iPhone.

@supersloth,

I don't know what business you're in, but every business I've ever worked at would consider potential sales pushed back a year as lost sales.

In any case, it makes no sense at all that a company the size of Adobe wouldn't have had Intel Mac versions of their software ready on the first day of Intel Mac sales. They had done it with previous versions of their software when Apple came out with new products up until the mid 1990s, when they decided to dump Apple. I'm not saying they didn't have the right to make that business decision. They certainly did. Their problem is that now they have to live with the results of that decision and they're whining about it when they should be taking steps to prove to Apple that they're going to reverse it.

This post has been edited by CTphpnwb: 15 April 2010 - 06:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 15 April 2010 - 05:43 AM, said:

I don't know what business you're in, but every business I've ever worked at would consider potential sales pushed back a year as lost sales.

my business is programming, and i help my employers make the best decision long term. we like solutions, not bandages. if you want the bandage, that's fine, but i don't see any place in your example where adobe is out of line by choosing a solution for it's next product over a bandage for it's current one (for an extreme minority of users).

i also don't think this problem is that related to the current adobe/apple spat. i just think steve jobs is a dick.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:00 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 14 April 2010 - 09:50 PM, said:

abloo bloo bloo i have this computer that does computery things but i dislike that you have chosen a different computer to do computery things! how will we all ever live when each person has the ability to pick something they want and not what i want?! what will we all do!?

Cry about it on the internet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:02 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 15 April 2010 - 09:05 AM, said:

my business is programming, and i help my employers make the best decision long term. we like solutions, not bandages. if you want the bandage, that's fine, but i don't see any place in your example where adobe is out of line by choosing a solution for it's next product over a bandage for it's current one (for an extreme minority of users).

You've got this backwards. If you want to make good long term decisions, you don't go with cross compilers which will definitely cause problems when the platforms change. Cross compilers are bandages - at least when applied to meta platforms, which is what Flash on iPhone is about.

Also, I'm not saying Adobe is out of line for making the choices it has made. I'm saying they're out of line for crying about the choices that Apple has made and is within its rights to make.

One more thing, since I just saw from your profile that you're 24: most of the reasons for Apple cracking down on what can be used to develop on the iPhone occurred before you were old enough to vote. In fact, much of it happened before you were out of grade school. Read up on their transition from Motorola's 68xxx series to PowerPC (and Adobe's being first in line with Photoshop) and then the transition from OS 9 to OS X. There's a lot of important history behind this that you need to know.

This post has been edited by CTphpnwb: 15 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

then why didn't you use those as examples instead of the horrible example you picked?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

In any case, it makes no sense at all that a company the size of Adobe wouldn't have had Intel Mac versions of their software ready on the first day of Intel Mac sales. They had done it with previous versions of their software when Apple came out with new products up until the mid 1990s, when they decided to dump Apple. I'm not saying they didn't have the right to make that business decision. They certainly did. Their problem is that now they have to live with the results of that decision and they're whining about it when they should be taking steps to prove to Apple that they're going to reverse it.

So let me see if I'm following your argument correctly....

At one point, Adobe released a new version of some software but neglected to make it mac compatible. You claim this software is so important that people would not buy macs since it is missing this software. Would it have made sense to ban that software from running on the future macs? Wouldn't that hurt sales even more 12 months down the line when the software is fully functional for the new macs? I don't know what kind of business you are in, but seeing as people buy computers for the software, I don't see the advantage of filtering good software off of their gadgets.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

View Postmojo666, on 15 April 2010 - 05:08 PM, said:

So let me see if I'm following your argument correctly....

No. You're not, and I can't teach you the entire history of this so you'll have to do some research, but basically, Adobe decided in the late 1990s that Apple needed them more than they needed Apple and they used that to their advantage, raking Mac customers while providing little to no support. They also forced Apple to do things they didn't want to do because Apple needed to keep Photoshop on the Mac. Read up on Carbon and Cocoa Mac development. Apple knows that if they got enough Flash based applications on the iPhone/iPad systems then Adobe would be in a position to do the same damage once again. Any business manager would and should be fired for letting that happen.

View Postsupersloth, on 15 April 2010 - 04:59 PM, said:

then why didn't you use those as examples instead of the horrible example you picked?

:oops:
Honestly, it hadn't occurred to me that you wouldn't be aware of the history. These are things I lived through and despised at the time, and I tend to assume everyone knows about them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:47 AM

NeoTifa,
If you want to post your yearbook picture you really should start another thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

How about any business manager working for Apple should be fired just for GP
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -