c++ game dev software for imac

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 2495 Views - Last Post: 19 April 2010 - 08:53 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game Development software For imac

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:30 AM

Greetings avid elites,
As one can avidly see i am a newb and i dream of breaming in to the gaming dev industry. Unfortunately i have no knowledge of anything programming. Well maybe that is an understatement i have some mediocre knowledge and this fall i am enrolled in a gaming and simulations course offered at my college. Well my biggest concern is that i have an Imac and even though it has Xcode on it already i was looking for something a little more situated for straight game development. But i have absolutely no idea of where to go or what i should be looking for, my internet researching keeps turning up nil so i decided to ask the elite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game Development software For imac

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game Development software For imac

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

I would highly suggest starting with learning 'how to' program first.. loops, variables, structures, and what have you. C++ would be the best option. Once you know the basics of programming then branching out into languages more specific for game development (which c++ is a part of) is much more easy. Focus on the building blocks first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

Normally, I'd recommend getting a foothold in C# via the XNA framework first for comparative ease of game development, but since you're on a Mac, the best real "game development" platform you're going to get is Unity, and it's only 3D games. I could also recommend Torque, but you'd be locked in Torque for the rest of your career, since Torque only runs on TorqueScript.

I'd say boot up XCode and listen to Modi.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:37 AM

First decide on a programming Language.

If you want to make games just for Mac and Iphone. then Xcode is good.

to have you games run on Mac, Windows and Linux. I personally would recommend learning Java.
warning: im a java fanboy.
JME screenshots

but if you end up deciding to want to make games for console. then you really should consider installing Windows on your Mac (aparantly they can do that now).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

thanks for all the support and the information. i really take it to heart because i need all the help i can get if i want to really make to as far as industry level. so it looks like c++ is going to be the proving grounds for that, let's see if i can prove to be Matrix worthy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

Hi Surreal1,

If you want to get into the game dev industry, then you are going to need a HIGH skill in programming. Any employer is going to expect a deep knowledge of the computer language that they use(which is most likely C++).

Also more than likely, a game dev company is going to have their programmers use a game engine built for their game's needs. So if you were to get hired at a game dev company, you would be learning how to use their engine. But a game engine is built with code, and you can't learn to use that game engine unless you yourself know the language that the engine was coded in.

So pretty much what I'm getting at is that you need to learn everything you can about programming. That doesn't mean you should necessarily jump right into C++. If you say that you have no experience at all with programming, then you might need some primer.

I would suggest that you buy a few books and read them front to back.

Here is a book that I found on amazon that is for a complete beginner:
http://www.amazon.co...71691706&sr=8-1

Then after that, you can get a book for C++:
http://www.amazon.co...B+for+beginners

Then after the C++ book, try making a few simple games on your own like pong, tetris, or breakout. If you have trouble making these simple games, then that should give you a clue that you might need some more help, like another book on game programming.

Like this:
http://www.amazon.co...71692268&sr=1-2

This is my advice, do whatever you want with it.

I hope this helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1