9 Replies - 923 Views - Last Post: 20 April 2010 - 08:34 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where to start in VB.net

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

Hello D.I.C.,

I want to start out on the right foot. So, first I'd like to ask if someone would know the best way for me to get started, I've searched for a vb.net basics tutorial on here, but didn't find one. I apologize if I overlooked it.

I'll tell a little about what parts I'm 'okay' with and the parts I know really stump me, or at least they seem to be the problem, in previous attempts to learn VB6. Maybe someone could clear it up for me a little.

I'm already semi-familiar with the GUI. Yep, that's the extent of what I 'know', however, I believe much of my problems are concentrated around 'commands'. I don't know exact terminology, I apologize for that, but I'm able to give some very weak 'examples' as to what I'm referring to. First, at the beginning of every code, I believe it's the declarations(?Dim's?) I know there are different types, such as: String, Variable, etc. I'd like to find a list with explanations of those, if at all possible. Also, I think the next problem is, I don't know what all is possible. For example...When you're telling the program what to do when you click a button, eh, maybe a message box will appear, I think in that code it'll say, 'print' or something like that. Print is what I would consider the command, and I wish I knew, or at least had a reference to those.

I apologize for this post being such a mess, but it's obvious I don't know what i'm talking about. I hope this changes in the near future.

I sincerely appreciate any help/information that can be given. Thank you in advance.

--Hekate

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where to start in VB.net

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Where to start in VB.net

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

I just ran into this post. Which may have the answers to my questions, I wouldn't mind more information, but I'll definitely be reading through the information found there. Looks odd replying to my own post. I just felt I should update it.

I still wouldn't mind knowing the best place to start.

Thanks.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:19 PM

Hi He-kate,

I think the best place to start with VB.NET is (if you have VB.NET 2008 express like I do) with the tutorials included. They are easy to understand and cover much of the basics, the GUI (or IDE - Integrated development environment in VB.NET) and other bits and pieces. after that you should turn to the Internet, because the internet is a confusing place sometimes... anyway, DIM stands for Direct Into Memory, and the different types (integer, string, Double, Ect) are different ways to store data. different types have different sizes in the memory (integer = 6 or 8 bytes I think, while double takes up more, and they both store numbers) and when you want the program to do something, say on a button click display a message box saying "Hello!", then you would double click the button in the IDE and type in:
MsgBox("Hello!")

the first word (MsgBox) is the function, after that in brackets are it's properties. it needs a string to work, so I gave it "Hello!" and that's what would get displayed in the message box.

I hope this was a huge help to you, and if it was, remember to click the green + underneath this post :D

EDIT: the little + button seems to have gone missing, hmm.... strange....

This post has been edited by krismania: 19 April 2010 - 11:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:54 AM

Hi He-kate,

You can find all you need to start with in the Visual Basic.Net for beginners. Look here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pugnacious Penguin (inspired by no2pencil)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:43 AM

@krismania

The Msgbox function is outdated. The new function is MessageBox.Show
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:42 AM

When I started VB.Net (which isn't all that long ago :) ) I simply read every online tutorial I could find. There really are plenty out there. Look for beginners tutorials as they should cover the basics. I can't seem to find the link for the one that helped me the most but if you're willing to look for it I believe it was called something along the lines of "VB.Net from beginner to expert".

Once you've got the basics, think of a small simple program that would be useful in your everyday life and work on it. This way you'll have motivation to finish what you've started. If you get stuck, Google it, if you can't do something, look for tutorials or forum posts to help yourself through.

The best way to learn is by jumping in and doing it. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:12 AM

Here's a couple of places that might benefit you.

Learning Visual Basic from the ground up.
Beginner Developer Learning Center

And then of course, the Pinned topic from Core, who took the time to create this fantastic list of resources.
Core's List of Visual Basic resources.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:27 AM

View PostJack Eagles1, on 20 April 2010 - 07:43 PM, said:

@krismania

The Msgbox function is outdated. The new function is MessageBox.Show

O...O..Outdated?! since when?? is it the VB.NET 2010 that changed it? or am I just way behind :dontgetit:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:30 AM

O...O..Outdated?! since when?? is it the VB.NET 2010 that changed it? or am I just way behind :dontgetit:
'

It was outdated already in VB.net 2008 me thinks. So before then sometime.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:34 AM

View Postr1zla, on 21 April 2010 - 12:30 AM, said:

It was outdated already in VB.net 2008 me thinks. So before then sometime.

well, I was (self) taught with MsgBox, and it works... I can't believe I didn't know this :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1