Newbie seeking advice

Looking for direction

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 920 Views - Last Post: 23 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Newbie seeking advice

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

I just recently finished my BS in CompSci and I have decided that I really like working with HTML, CSS, Javascript...etc. I enjoyed it much more than the programming and networking. Plus I do networking everyday.

I want to start developing sites, I just am not sure which direction I should take. I am in the process of doing my own site right now.

I am in a catch 22 situation. I can't get a job without experience and so forth.....Plus even if I could find an entry level job I could not take the pay cut right now.(maybe when the wife finishes nursing school)

My plan is, after I complete my site, trying to pick up some freelance work on the side. Personal sites, small business and such.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I wanted to download the trial version of Dreamweaver 4, but its no longer on the adobe site. It only lets you pre- order 5. Does anyone know where I could find a free trial version of DW4?

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Newbie seeking advice

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Newbie seeking advice

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:25 AM

Moved from C# Tutorials.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

View Postbuckle45, on 20 April 2010 - 04:24 PM, said:

I just recently finished my BS in CompSci and I have decided that I really like working with HTML, CSS, Javascript...etc. I enjoyed it much more than the programming and networking. Plus I do networking everyday.

I want to start developing sites, I just am not sure which direction I should take. I am in the process of doing my own site right now.

I am in a catch 22 situation. I can't get a job without experience and so forth.

You're right. It is a catch 22 and unfortunately thats the name of the game right now. I am in the sameboat. I am majorly over qualified for my job and I essentially end up contributed more work than what I am being paid. The only thing I can say is get some experience and try again. Thats where Im at right now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

experience is free. Do your own personal site, do sites for friends. Network and do sites for any asshole with a business card (including yourself: be an asshole, and have a business card).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

Check out the Freelancing section too, you'll get experience designing and creating websites for the people there, and get some extra cash too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1