Page 1 of 1

Simple Fixed Array Part3 The Final Replace Elements in the Array and update all controls on the Form Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:21 AM

Ok, here is the last in this series of ‘Simple Fixed Arrays.’
The first in the series can be found here Simple Fixed Array Part1
and the second is here Simple Fixed Array Part2
This time we will replace Elements in the Array and update all the RadioButtons, Textbox, ComboBox and labels to reflect the changes we make.
I have included a screen shot so that you can see what it looks like finished.
Attached Image
Let’s start as always with the Dim Statements

Dim arrAnimal(5) As String
		Dim AnimalIndex As Integer
		Dim i As Integer

Notice that this time the number inside the Parenthesis is 5, the reason for this is that VB numbers the Elements 0 to 5, so, because we have 6 Elements the array = 5, strange but true. I know that we got away with it last time when we placed 6 inside the parenthesis but this time if we try to use 6 we get errors, try it and see what happens.

Lets move on to the Loading of the form, this time we fill the Array with the text of the 6 RadioButtons as follows.
Private Sub AnimalArray_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
		arrAnimal(0) = RadioButton1.Text
		arrAnimal(1) = RadioButton2.Text
		arrAnimal(2) = RadioButton3.Text
		arrAnimal(3) = RadioButton4.Text
		arrAnimal(4) = RadioButton5.Text
		arrAnimal(5) = RadioButton6.Text
		RadioButton1.Checked = True
	End Sub

Next we need the RadioButton Events update the LblDisplay and change the ComboBox Text, this is done for all6 RadioButtons.
Private Sub RadioButton1_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles RadioButton1.CheckedChanged

LblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton1.Text & Chr(13) & "is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton1.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
 cmbArrNum.Text = "0"
	End Sub

Now let’s add some code so that when we click the Load Button the Elements of the Array will show in a Text Box.
Private Sub btnShowAll_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnShowAll.Click
		ListBox1.Items.Clear()
		For i = 0 To 5
			ListBox1.Items.Add(arrAnimal(i) & " is element [" & i & "] in the array")
		Next
	End Sub

The next button to sort out is the Sort Button this will place all the Elements of the Array in to Alphabetical order, it also updates the text for the 6 RadioButtons and the Label text.
Private Sub btnSort_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSort.Click
		ListBox1.Items.Clear()
		Array.Sort(arrAnimal)
		For i = 0 To 5
		Next
		RadioButton1.Text = arrAnimal(0)
		RadioButton2.Text = arrAnimal(1)
		RadioButton3.Text = arrAnimal(2)
		RadioButton4.Text = arrAnimal(3)
		RadioButton5.Text = arrAnimal(4)
		RadioButton6.Text = arrAnimal(5)
		Select Case cmbArrNum.SelectedIndex
			Case 0
				lblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton1.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton1.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
			Case 1
				RadioButton2.Checked = True
				lblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton2.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton2.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
			Case 2
				RadioButton3.Checked = True
				lblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton3.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton3.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
			Case 3
				RadioButton4.Checked = True
				lblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton4.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton4.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
			Case 4
				RadioButton5.Checked = True
				lblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton5.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton5.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
			Case 5
				RadioButton6.Checked = True
				lblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton6.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton6.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
		End Select
		txtReplace.Text = ""
	End Sub

That was a lot of code! Still it is Part 3 the final.
Let’s move on and write some code to Replace Elements in the Array.
Once again because we have changed the Array we need to update all the Controls on the Form to keep everthing updated.
Private Sub btnReplace_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnReplace.Click
		If txtReplace.Text = "" Then
			MessageBox.Show("No text has been entered")
			Exit Sub
		End If
		arrAnimal.SetValue(txtReplace.Text, cmbArrNum.SelectedIndex)
			Case 0
				RadioButton1.Text = txtReplace.Text
				RadioButton1.ForeColor = Color.Blue
			Case 1
				RadioButton2.Text = txtReplace.Text
				RadioButton2.ForeColor = Color.Blue
			Case 2
				RadioButton3.Text = txtReplace.Text
				RadioButton3.ForeColor = Color.Blue
			Case 3
				RadioButton4.Text = txtReplace.Text
				RadioButton4.ForeColor = Color.Blue
			Case 4
				RadioButton5.Text = txtReplace.Text
				RadioButton5.ForeColor = Color.Blue
			Case 5
				RadioButton6.Text = txtReplace.Text
				RadioButton6.ForeColor = Color.Blue
		End Select
		ListBox1.Items.Clear()
		For i = 0 To 5
		Next
		lblDisplay.Text = "The " & txtReplace.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, txtReplace.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
		txtReplace.Text = ""
	End Sub

Well, that’s it, in all it’s glory, I hope you have enjoyed these 3 tutorials on Fixed Arrays.
I hope in the future to write other tutorials that will help beginners to better understand Visual Basic.net. Below is the full code for you to Copy (Ctrl + C) and Paste (Ctrl + V)
Public Class AnimalArray
	Dim arrAnimal(5) As String
	Dim AnimalIndex As Integer
	Dim i As Integer
	Private Sub AnimalArray_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
	End Sub
	Private Sub RadioButton1_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles RadioButton1.CheckedChanged
		LblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton1.Text & Chr(13) & "is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton1.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
		cmbArrNum.Text = "0"
	End Sub
	Private Sub RadioButton2_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles RadioButton2.CheckedChanged
		LblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton2.Text & Chr(13) & "is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton2.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
		cmbArrNum.Text = "1"
	End Sub
	Private Sub RadioButton3_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles RadioButton3.CheckedChanged
		LblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton3.Text & Chr(13) & "is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton3.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
		cmbArrNum.Text = "2"
	End Sub
	Private Sub RadioButton4_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles RadioButton4.CheckedChanged
		LblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton4.Text & Chr(13) & "is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton4.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
		cmbArrNum.Text = "3"
	End Sub
	Private Sub RadioButton5_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles RadioButton5.CheckedChanged
		LblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton5.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton5.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
		cmbArrNum.Text = "4"
	End Sub
	Private Sub RadioButton6_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles RadioButton6.CheckedChanged
		LblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton6.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton6.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
		cmbArrNum.Text = "5"
	End Sub
	Private Sub btnShowAll_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnShowAll.Click
		ListBox1.Items.Clear()
		For i = 0 To 5
		Next
	End Sub
	Private Sub btnSort_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSort.Click
		ListBox1.Items.Clear()
		Array.Sort(arrAnimal)
		For i = 0 To 5
		Next
		RadioButton1.Text = arrAnimal(0)
		RadioButton2.Text = arrAnimal(1)
		RadioButton3.Text = arrAnimal(2)
		RadioButton4.Text = arrAnimal(3)
		RadioButton5.Text = arrAnimal(4)
		RadioButton6.Text = arrAnimal(5)
			Case 0
				lblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton1.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton1.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
			Case 1
				RadioButton2.Checked = True
				lblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton2.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton2.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
			Case 2
				RadioButton3.Checked = True
				lblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton3.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton3.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
			Case 3
				RadioButton4.Checked = True
				lblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton4.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton4.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
			Case 4
				RadioButton5.Checked = True
				lblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton5.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton5.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
			Case 5
				RadioButton6.Checked = True
				lblDisplay.Text = "The " & RadioButton6.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, RadioButton6.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
		End Select
		txtReplace.Text = ""
	End Sub
	Private Sub btnReplace_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnReplace.Click
		If txtReplace.Text = "" Then
			MessageBox.Show("No text has been entered")
			Exit Sub
		End If
		arrAnimal.SetValue(txtReplace.Text, cmbArrNum.SelectedIndex)
			Case 0
				RadioButton1.Text = txtReplace.Text
				RadioButton1.ForeColor = Color.Blue
			Case 1
				RadioButton2.Text = txtReplace.Text
				RadioButton2.ForeColor = Color.Blue
			Case 2
				RadioButton3.Text = txtReplace.Text
				RadioButton3.ForeColor = Color.Blue
			Case 3
				RadioButton4.Text = txtReplace.Text
				RadioButton4.ForeColor = Color.Blue
			Case 4
				RadioButton5.Text = txtReplace.Text
				RadioButton5.ForeColor = Color.Blue
			Case 5
				RadioButton6.Text = txtReplace.Text
				RadioButton6.ForeColor = Color.Blue
		End Select
		ListBox1.Items.Clear()
		For i = 0 To 5
		Next
		lblDisplay.Text = "The " & txtReplace.Text & Chr(13) & " is Element [" & (Array.IndexOf(arrAnimal, txtReplace.Text)) & "]" & Chr(13) & "in the Array"
		txtReplace.Text = ""
	End Sub

End Class

This post has been edited by Graham: 30 June 2006 - 01:01 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1