3 Replies - 520 Views - Last Post: 27 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Developing web application

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:26 AM

Hi,

I'm looking to develop my own online collaborative task management / project management solution / data analysis. Something in the lines of vertabase or basecamp, or from the task management side of things 5pm or pivotal tracker. The reason I want to develop it myself is that I want to use some confidential bussiness and financial data that I do not feel at ease sharing and also none of the available solutions quite does what I need in the right mix of power and simplicity. What would be the right programming tools / languages to do something like this? I'll use mysql database.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Developing web application

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Developing web application

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:56 AM

If you're going to be using mySQL then maybe you should consider using PHP, and for a big project like this you'll probably want to look into Object Oriented PHP, and also using a PHP framework - for example Zend Framework or CakePHP
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:13 AM

Check out ProjectPier

It is an open-source application that you can host on your own servers, and is similar to earlier versions of Basecamp
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

If you are looking at coding something like this and you don't know what to use then I would advise either getting someone to create this for you. Or start of smaller as this would be a big project and you would need other people to work with you if you want to make this. Also it would be better to get someone more experienced to help you make this in case you do use sensitive data then you might not know all the security risks in your code.

If you do this then I would say use OOP PHP and for the client side something like jQuery. Note don't use jQuery for sending sensitive data as this can easily be changed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1