multiuser website hosting and a built in site builder

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1605 Views - Last Post: 01 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

php sitebuilder and host

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

Hi there,

Im looking to build an automated web site creation tool and host multiple clients websites on my server. I have already done a fair bit of research and have found plenty of great open source examples of how to go about creating the website builder.

My problem lies with the fact that i wish to host multiple users on my website giving each their own domain space/directory. They will then be directed to the site builder to create their basic webpage from the templates i make available to them.

In short I need something like the old free yahoo geocities or the any other template (what you see is what you get) WYSIWYG type sites.

The User comes to My website where they register, on registration they are guided through the website builder process (choosing template, filling out text, WYSIWYG type idea), on completion the site is then created as a sub domain with the user name that they choose. The user on returning can then logon and edit their site using the same builder.
Obviously I wish to host many users.

Any Ideas? I have been looking at CMS examples and just wondered if anyone out there can point me in a better direction or just clear up what it is I really need to be researching.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: php sitebuilder and host

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: php sitebuilder and host

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:22 AM

I think your main consideration shouldn't be the CMS / Software that you'll run.. But more about the hosting infrastructure you're going to use... Remember there'll always be several security considerations that you'll need to make since you'll have to run your front end (the signup) as a priviledged user so that it is able to create subdomains, directories, change configuration, etc etc etc.

When it comes to software, you'll most likely need to write your own. Of course you can use cPanel/WHM that will automate certain properties of it but it certainly won't give you a CMS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: php sitebuilder and host

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

View PostRudiVisser, on 01 May 2010 - 03:22 AM, said:

I think your main consideration shouldn't be the CMS / Software that you'll run.. But more about the hosting infrastructure you're going to use... Remember there'll always be several security considerations that you'll need to make since you'll have to run your front end (the signup) as a priviledged user so that it is able to create subdomains, directories, change configuration, etc etc etc.

When it comes to software, you'll most likely need to write your own. Of course you can use cPanel/WHM that will automate certain properties of it but it certainly won't give you a CMS.

Thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1