And I don't me In Topic Title

Page 1 of 1

12 Replies - 2122 Views - Last Post: 29 April 2010 - 06:33 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

ITT Tech

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about ITT. I'm honestly just looking for a four year degree in anything. I'm planning on going to Seminary, but never plan on stopping programming, so I'm thinking ITT would be the best way to get a four year degree, since I want to have fun doing it. I am also interested in their online stuff, any opinion on that, especially on cross-browser and platform accessibility.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ITT Tech

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: ITT Tech

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:52 PM

I generally try to keep these opinions to myself to avoid looking like an elitist jerk, but since you ask... I think of ITT tech as a scrub diploma mill.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:08 PM

I have to personally say I think it's garbage. There was an article that was released a couple months back about a staff member who worked for institutions like ITT and the specific staff member quit because they couldn't believe how bad the programs were given the prices they were charging. In the article, the staff said she could not continue working there in good conscious.

Aside from that, I've never had a good opinion of institutions like ITT. I don't have any first hand experience but my take it you're better off getting a bachelors degree at a university elsewhere rather than at ITT. Having said that, outside of wanting a degree for whatever reason, you can learn to program without ever taking a single class. It is all relative to what you are hoping to accomplish.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

If you're going to drop the money and you want online, there's plenty of regionally accredited (region > national, as it transfers) brick and mortar places that offer online. There are also better "pure" online programs out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:55 AM

u would be better off starting off at a community college or something like that. ITT is crap, just like everyone said. its way over priced and the degree you get isnt a real accredited degree. Nothing you do there will transfer to any other school and the degree is only a degree based off of ITT Tech standards. My friend went there and graduated, he still regrets ever stepping foot there. He said they didnt really teach anything he couldn't learn online and he still has loans he has to pay for his meaningless degree... 5-6 years later...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

I would suggest searching other colleges for the degree that you'll be getting. If you can take the degree somewhere else (most likely not) then I say go for it. ITT & other community colleges usually offer junk degrees to people that think a degree means they get a job. It's sad in my opinion, but that's the way it works.

If you can get what you need from the ITT degree, then that's your call. But I wouldn't expect job recruiters to start calling you once you get the degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:28 PM

Well as I said, it's more just to get a four year degree than to get any type of job. Still, it seems that if ITT doesn't transfer well then I'd have trouble getting into a Seminary with it too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

ITT, DeVRY, UoPhoenix, all horrid choices no matter how you try and justify it. Most if not all the teachers are incompetent and you'd be doing more harm than good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

I agree. There are quite a few schools I looked into that had National Acc. I was surprised to learn even Westwood was national, they have a decent game programming program. I chose Kaplan because they offered a few different IT programs, specifically Software Development, but are regionally accredited. A lot of people go to local community then go into an advanced start BS program there, although I just transferred my cc units that would transfer and went for most of my BS at Kaplan, because I didn't want to deal with my dumb local CC.

BTW Kaplan is starting a Mobile application development offering i think next term... which is Java/Objective C primary programming for iPhone/Droid.

Good luck man.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

Based on personal experience, ITT is crap. Their Game Programming consists of learning how to create mods for an antiquated engine after 4 years of crappy classes with teachers who have never programmed a game. Languages you will learn: VB.NET...and you only learn if you skip out on utilizing the book for every assignment.

Game physics class is taught like a regular physics class...no computers are used in this class at all, and no reference to any game. "Game Design" class consisted of playing games...no tests. The student created Game Design Association took off for about 2 weeks right before Halo 2 came out...then everyone just wanted to play games instead of working on one because pong was too good for them to learn. "I'll just build my portfolio later cause this game rocks!"

When I left there were still people who had to look up how to declare variables because they were so used to using the book. That's right, 1 book, and 2 programming classes which half the book is "gone through" in each class.

My programming assignments: walk around and help the other students...because I had every programming assignment in the book completed by the end of the first week for both classes.

Online classes...you can take Group Theory online but you can't take Algebra online? Cmon!

But this is personal experience...someone else may have ran into a better ITT somewhere else in the country.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

Yea be sure they're both regionally and nationally accredited. I foundthat out to late after going from AIU to University of Phoenix that they're classes don't transfer everywhere.

I goto WGU now which is both regionally and nationally accredited. Also be sure the accrediting institutions are recognized by the Dept. of Education.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

I'm sorry, I don't recognize WGU. I had never really thought of accreditation. I just don't want to waste four years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:33 PM

Most arent. NBC Nightly news has talked about as well as TIME magazine. It's considered a private school and was arranged by 19 state governors. They are also the only online school I've found that upodates their curriculum based on what major corporations including MS and Google based on what their looking for in employees.

You should check it out. It's a bit pricey but so far I have no complaints. Also, most online schools like Phoenix and AIU require you have an Associates before you can start their Bachelors program, but WGU doesnt and you can get started with your Bachelors for about the same price as the other schools charge for your Associates.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1