• +

15 Replies - 912 Views - Last Post: 15 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

can't post a tutorial!

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:52 AM

hi,

I have been using this site for almost a year now and have found it a valuable resource so I decided I would give something back in the form of writing a tutorial on something I found very difficult to find the information on how to do. I went to the game programming tutorial section and pressed the new topic button. After spending a few hours writing the tutorial I pressed the post new topic button which took me back to the game programming tutorials page without submitting my tutorial! Luckily the site/google chrome kept the text that I had written so that when I pressed back it was still there. I tried again, thinking that maybe I had done something wrong the first time and pressed a different button to the one I thought I'd pressed but with the same result. I thought that maybe the site wasn't functioning properly at that point so I thought I would leave it for a few hours. After approx. 10 hours I returned, looked in the programming section to see if it had just been delayed, saw that it wasn't there so continued to try to post it a third time and whaddya know? It still didn't work! Can someone PLEASE fix this as I don't want to have wasted those hours!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: can't post a tutorial!

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: can't post a tutorial!

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:31 AM

sorry, just saw the info in the FAQ that says it needs to be approved before acceptance :stupid:
I hope they don't get annoyed that there are 3 copies of the same tutorial but they really should think about putting a message to that effect after you hit the submit post button.

I also read there that there is a 50 kudos reward :) Fingers crossed it gets approved :clover:

This post has been edited by rainbow evil: 24 April 2010 - 04:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:59 AM

Removed the older of the two tutorials.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

It's been almost 3 days now! If it took me about 2 hours to write then it would probably only take about 30 minutes to check it. There haven't been any other topics started in that tutorial page so I guess there just aren't very many people checking tutorials in that section...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

It can take up to a week. There's quite a lot of submissions: snippets and tutorials.

In particular, your tutorial will be hard to test unless someone already has that set up on their computer. It will be looked at I assure you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

View Postrainbow evil, on 26 April 2010 - 12:57 PM, said:

It's been almost 3 days now! If it took me about 2 hours to write then it would probably only take about 30 minutes to check it. There haven't been any other topics started in that tutorial page so I guess there just aren't very many people checking tutorials in that section...

There is more to reviewing a tutorial than just making sure it builds. They also need to check to make sure you didn't copy it from somebody else.

It also needs to be reviewed by somebody who has actual knowledge of game programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

Can't I just promise :) If you type in a search in google for Dark GDK Multisync tutorial then the only thing I could find was this poorly google translated German tutorial which tells the user what code to use but not how to set up a computer to host. Anyway, my arguing isn't going to help so, bye! :)

This post has been edited by rainbow evil: 27 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:24 PM

When I posted one they use to say it would take at least a week, but to wait two before asking about it, right on the tutorial posting page.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:56 AM

ok, so now it's been more than 3 weeks and I haven't been informed that it hasn't been accepted, so I assume it hasn't been looked at yet and, from the previous posts on this thread, that is longer than it should take. If I sound annoyed it is because I sort of am... I spent good time creating this tutorial to try to help people who were stuck in my position but unfortunately my findings cannot be passed on to others. I appreciate that it is a matter of manpower (and womanpower :)) but surely it can't take that long and there can't be that many tutorial submissions every day. Ta
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Java Enthusiast
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

Look at your Kudos they have gone up it has been accepted. Only thing I find strange is you are not a contributer now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

You're wrong about one thing, we get thousands of submissions per month here at Dream.In.Code, and each and every one has to be thoroughly checked and make sure it isn't copied from another source and that does take time trust me.

Now, I do not see anything pending from you in the queue, what language was it for and what was it regarding?

EDIT: I see you had a tutorial accepted today about games & GDK, is that the one you're referring to?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:07 PM

yeah, that's the one... two things though - as Glorfindal said, does that not make me a contributor? and secondly, I didn't notice my reputation being any higher as it's still only at 4. Anyway, sorry again for not noticing but could someone advise me as to my previous two problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

Your reputation has nothing to do with tutorials or submissions so I'm not understanding that part of your question. As far as Contributor, to get that badge you have to have more than 2 approved tutorials, and as of right now you only have 1
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

Contributor should be for any submission either tutorial or snippet (unless that's been changed recently?). Author is three tutorials.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:22 PM

ah, sorry. Didn't realise that dream kudos (why it is "dream" kudos and not just kudos I don't know) was separate from reputation as I never really noticed the kudos bit. Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +