4 Replies - 553 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2010 - 05:44 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

It's been 5 years so far, and I still don't have a clue, what

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

Okay now don't call me crazy I have a good excuse for not knowing what SQL is, I have never had any reason to learn it as most of my web designing work was done in HTML as request.

But the more time goes on it seems to be bothering me even more as I see SQL appearing everywhere.

Is SQL(just guessing) sort of like, a complex XML DataBase?

I have done my google searches and haven't got very far except for that it runs on certain computers and well all that other stuff.

So what is SQL? I could very easily write a database program using XML so why not do that?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: It's been 5 years so far, and I still don't have a clue, what

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: It's been 5 years so far, and I still don't have a clue, what

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

SQL is the Structured Query Language, which is used to Query relational databases (table based) for the purpose of retrieving data, modifying data, and modifying database structure. It is the industry standard for databases, with many web applications working with SQL Engines like MySQL, Oracle, and MS-SQL.

I do believe, however, that eventually XML will become the predominant technology for databases because it is platform independent and significantly more light-weight. An XML file is only a few KBs in size vs. SQL Servers which are MBs in size. With SQL, you have to connect to a specific SQL engine, each of which has its own modifications to the standard SQL.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:46 PM

Ah thanks!

I'm doing some more research on what it is and it's becoming a bit more clearer.

By any chance what would be the fastest way to store information fast enough for a multiplayer game? Such as player positions, items, etc.

Could a database written using XML do this?

What about SQL.

This post has been edited by FreezingHazard: 24 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

Is this going to be an interactive game with real-time response? If so, you will want to use a more powerful language like Java, C/C++, or XNA to do this. I would model the real-time interactions of the game using classes and Objects, along with a client-server model. Then maybe when a client disconnects from the Server, save the progress of the character to a SQL DB, as it will be easier to retrieve information that way since SQL is non-procedural.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Ah yes, I am going to be storing the character data without IO operations or Database operations(real-time on screen), instead store it when an available time is met(map changing).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1