Email Client and mailto not working

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1338 Views - Last Post: 30 April 2010 - 01:36 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web based email and windows 7

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:20 AM

Heya dreamers

Ive been checking up on the new windows 7 some. And not sure what to say just yet.
However, last week we got a nice little call from a customer that stated that he couldnt use the mailto links inorder to get to our mailgui.
Our mailprogram is combined into a cloudcomputing based system(use it anywhere, everywhere).
However, when trying ourselves, it sure showed up as not working. So ive been checking around and trying to get some sense into this situation
but all i seem to find is that all other web based email clients made a "physical" installation on the users computer to be able to use it.
Gmail - gAttach, hotmail - live messange and so forth...

Can this be right? Did Microsoft really close the possibility to offer a user that function?

Before we used a script to change the register so mailto was directed to the system.
That aint working. Is the register buildup changed in 7 compared to Vista?

Im just wondering and since i cant seem to find any direct information about this, not even microsoft is answering, any dreamers out here that can help me to get some clearense into this? :)

//Claus

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web based email and windows 7

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web based email and windows 7

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

Have they setup their default programs. Because from what I can see from surfing mailto should still work.
http://windows.micro...uses-by-default

This may be a solution as well:

IE8 in Windows 7 runs with "Protected mode On" for internet zone. Try to uncheck the "Protected mode" in Internet Options -> Security -> Internet zone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:49 PM

Thats one of the problems, in previous versions of windows our webapplication showed(after running the scriptfile that changed mailto-register) in the associated programs and applications. Since its totally webbased we dont have anything on the users computer.
Our mailapplication is embedded into the webapp.

Intresting idea with the protected mode. Gonna run a test on that aswell.
If that doesnt work i just think i have to read deeper in the new register setups to see if there is some additional things thats needed to be changed.

Thanks for the reply. :)

//Claus

*EDIT* This is solved now, after doing a few tests we discovered that it infact was protected mode and the association. Now we just need to figure out a way to make it happen even with protected mode activated. Prolly my work will be to create a mailapplication for our users to download and install.. thanks guys :) and Gregwithworth, you are the man. *EDIT*

This post has been edited by clabbeman: 29 April 2010 - 12:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:44 AM

No problem. Glad you at least diagnosed the issue, good luck with solution to that issue.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:36 AM

Thanks Greg

But i have to say that your good luck suited in very good. Been looking at the new register setups in 7 and all the paths and things.
With our "installscript" to make our email default we change the following RegKeys:
(Shorten the HKeyLocalMachine and all those)

sRegKey = @="C:\program\internetexplorer\iexplorer.exe -app https:\\(path to our webapplication with parsemailto)=%1"

* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\shell\command\, sRegKey
* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail, "(name of the application email, lets call it ePost)"
* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\ePost\, "ePost"
* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\ePost\Shell\open\command\", @="C:\program\internetexplorer\iexplorer.exe"
* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\ePost\Protocols\mailto\shell\open\command\", sRegKey

Now im afraid that im missing some additional Register Entries that needs to be adjusted.
Or am i missing out some cruitial inputs in the keys we do change? (-app = --app for example)

Glad for any help.. This binary and register things is getting to my head :P

//Claus
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1