Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Php Drupal

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Php Drupal

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

Drupal is a CMS (Content Management System) that is written in PHP, it's not like some replacement for PHP
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

With drupal you can create good looking feature complete websites with little effort. :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

Take http://twit.tv/ for example.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:38 PM

(apologies in advance if I've gone past the scope of your question)

Drupal is a Content Management System (CMS). This is a good breakdown of how a CMS works. From: http://drupal.org/node/176052

Drupal is part of a technology stack that contains a number of important pieces:

Server - A server is a computer which provides information or services to other computers on a network.

Operating system - The software that runs the server. Unix, Linux, BSD, OS X and Windows are some examples.

Database - A structured collection of records. Drupal uses a database to store most content and configuration settings for your site, some content such as media files are generally stored in the server's file system.

Web server - The software component responsible for serving web pages. Examples are Apache and Microsoft IIS.

PHP - PHP is a programming language that allows web developers to create dynamic content that interacts with databases.

Drupal - A framework for building dynamic web sites offering a broad range of features and services including user administration, publishing workflow, discussion capabilities, news aggregation, metadata functionalities using controlled vocabularies and XML publishing for content sharing purposes. A Drupal installation is generally comprised of a mix of core and contributed modules.

Drupal is arguably better than other Content Management Systems. Drupal stands out because it is XHTML valid, and it supports both MySQL and PostgreSQL.

Another reputable CMS is Joomla. I suggest using the google and searching for some web site templates. You'll get a feel for what you can do with Drupal and other CMS'. The next step is creating your own templates. At that point you are only limited by your creativity.

//Note: I think Drupal is technically a Web Content Management System (WCMS)

This post has been edited by andy0: 29 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

Hi nikhil,

I am currently using Drupal 6 to build all my web sites.

After I've got a hold of this book http://www.drupalbook.com/
I've come to realize that with Drupal, you can do virtually anything - it's just a foundation, upon which you can build any type of site needed - from a simple homepage to a large e-commerce web site.

Cheers.

P.S. Do get the book I'd mentioned above - its first edition was the first and only book on Drupal at one point. A must have, if you are seriously considering diving into PHP development with Drupal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1