• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 1142 Views - Last Post: 01 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

5 Stages of Data Loss

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

I'll post this here since it's more funny than anything (thanks for the link @timheuer).

I'm sure we've all been here at least one point in our computing lives (God knows I have, actually more than once), so here are the official 5 stages of data loss:

• Denial
    No. No, there's no way. This is probably just a software issue, maybe if I try rebooting again it'll work. I've only had this hard drive for two years, there's no way it just died. I'll get all that stuff back. This silly computer always freaks out but is fine after a reboot. Even though I've tried rebooting five times and it sounds like a fork is stuck in a garbage disposal in there, it's probably just the CD drive.
  • Anger
    Are you kidding me, Western Digital? I've lost everything! I trusted you, and for what? How does a company that sells such crappy products stay in business? I will murder the first WD employee I see. And what the hell is wrong with me that I didn't back this stuff up? I am the biggest idiot in the world and I want to punch myself in the face. I hate myself and don't deserve to be happy.
  • Bargaining
    OK, so maybe I can download some software and boot this drive as a secondary drive and try to recover some stuff. I mean, I'll have to go buy a new hard drive and install it and then figure out how to hook this one up as a secondary drive, and I'm not sure where my OS discs are, but hey, I'm a smart guy, I can figure this stuff out, right? Or maybe professional data recovery services have gotten much, much cheaper lately. Yeah, I'll bet they're affordable now, they've gotta be.
  • Depression
    All those photos. I'll never, ever get them back. I'll never see those faces again. And my essays from college, I was going to share those with my kids someday. And man, all that music, it's taken me years to collect all that. Why did I even bother? It's like the last ten years of my life have just been erased.
  • Acceptance
    Ah, none of that stuff was that important. Most of it was uploaded to various sites like Flickr, anyways. At least the really important stuff. Regathering all that music will be fun, too! And hey, you know what? Maybe it's good to start fresh every once in a while. And man, hard drives have gotten a lot cheaper since I last bought one. This is really just a good way to put things in perspective; none of this stuff was all that important. Except for those photos. Why the hell didn't I back them up?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 5 Stages of Data Loss

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 5 Stages of Data Loss

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

You missed one.

& that's where I get the drive & dd the data off it & charge through the nose :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:19 PM

That is so true...
Not only should people back things up, but they should make three copies of everything. Then you at least have a one out of three chance of getting your data back. Hey I've had floppys, hard drives solid state and even DVD that went bad! (that reminds me, no2pencil, your copy of Orgasmo no longer works)

Having a legitimate website also helps with backing things up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:50 PM

Yeaaahh. This just reminds me of an event a few months back where I took one too many sleeping pills and got on my computer and deleted all my music and pictures except for one song.

God Am - Alice in Chains.

At least it is a good song.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:06 PM

i once moved all my music to a second hard drive in anticipation of a format, never unplugged it, and accidentally selected it during the OS install.

GOOD TIMES.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:25 PM

I usually start at stage 5 and work backwards.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

Wow PsychoCoder! Exactly my story, that happened about July 2009. However, I think stage 5 takes a while to come, no?

View Postsupersloth, on 29 April 2010 - 10:06 AM, said:

i once moved all my music to a second hard drive in anticipation of a format, never unplugged it, and accidentally selected it during the OS install.

GOOD TIMES.

You mentioned once in one of my threads that you banged your head in the corner of a door and left a dent there. People like you can do this to their PC's, nothing to worry about.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The cheese stands alone..
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:06 AM

I had formatted my external HDD several time without any reason.
Pure Rage.
As an example, I deleted all my facebook friends and deactivated my account just because I was angry at something else.

So, for me, the stages are:
Sleep > Acceptance > Depression > A New Start!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:59 AM

My iMac stopped seeing the its HD (Second one I installed), the HD was still working fine so I through it in an external enclosure but the P.O.S. won't format! Its a 500GB HD with two partitions, about 450GB to Mac OS and 50 to Windows XP. Everytime I try to format it, it gives me errors. My neighbors almost saw a flying black object last week..lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 28 April 2010 - 10:06 PM, said:

GOOD TIMES.

Epic Fail!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, I think that describes the stages I went through when I found out the drive with my wedding pictures on it was just gone...

The only reason I cared is cause I knew my wife would be so upset she would be stingy for a month! (I was right >.< )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

When I was backing up my computer, I thought I had selected my external HDD, but I selected the C:\ drive instead. I didn't realize until Ubuntu had finished installing. Goodbye $200+ iTunes music and sentimental files.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

Been there, done that.

If you search this site you might find one of my few "help!" posts. ( Maybe my only one? ) When a fried an external drive. It gathered dust for a while as I plotted it's resurrection. Ultimately, I just formatted it again and called it a day. It felt good to get that 500GB actually doing something.

Installing on a dual boot system and choosing the wrong partition, also a joy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

View PostCamoDeveloper, on 29 April 2010 - 11:01 PM, said:

...Goodbye $200+ iTunes music...

When elders suggest using ThePirateBay then there is a point in there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, well that's what I do now. I was trying to "be good" but decided to through that out the window lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +