CMS vs Do-it-yourself

Which do you prefer?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

31 Replies - 10031 Views - Last Post: 16 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

Poll: CMS vs Do-It-Yourself (66 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer? A CMS or building the entire site yourself?

1. CMS (16 votes [24.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

2. Do-It-Yourself (50 votes [75.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• require_once("brain.php"); //Fatal error :/
  • member icon

• View blog

CMS vs Do-it-yourself

Post icon  Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:32 AM

Greetings!

This is a simple poll made to determine if you prefer using a CMS to do most of your job for you or if you like to build an entire website yourself.

The reason I'm asking is because recently me and a friend went to a national web development competition for which we had spent a LOT of time building an entire website for and from scratch (many all-nighters), while most other people used CMSs like Drupal and Joomla.

Our presentation didn't go so well and some bug occurred in our site while showing it off to everybody (but not when I got home to actually be able to try to debug it...I mean...wtf?), so we ended up with 4th place (which kinda bummed me out). I'm pretty sure everybody but us used a CMS of some sort, which means that somebody using a CMS won first place. However, I enjoy taking full control over my website (every little detail belongs to me!) and for that reason I continue to insist that building it from scratch or with classes that you've generically built youself is the best way to go.

What's your opinion?

Yours,
Shane~

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: CMS vs Do-it-yourself

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: CMS vs Do-it-yourself

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:45 AM

Currently I am working on my own sorta CMS, base system that I will base most of my sites from now on from..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

As above I've always used my own CMS system (which is integrated into my server platform and is more than just Content Management).. This is only because I write sites for clients.

For my own websites, I don't use a CMS.

Completely depends on the situation IMO - But I think your question is really more about "Use someone elses software or write your own?", and the answer would always (for me) be write your own ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

I prefer to create my own systems for other people but for my own site I am currently using WordPress as it allows me to get my site working fast and that I can use my phone for posting. Until I work out how to create my own Blackberry app.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

Not developing a lot for the web at the moment (a lot of client-side dev though), so I am using Joomla (which sometimes can act horrible) and Wordpress (for my blog). I can say that it saves me a lot of time and at this point, it helps me get stuff done without the need to worry about another web layer.

I am talking about personal needs, not contests, though. If it would be a contest, I would go with the "start from scratch" approach. Generally, I would say that contest organizers should require participants to develop their own stuff, unless other conditions apply (for example, if it is an extension contest).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

So far I have built most of my sites from scratch with additional software for somethings I just wanted done and up (like forums, and blogs). I am in the process of making a new site which will have a blogging system,, and a lot more completely done from scratch (hopefully it will be done over the summer), which I am using as a stepping stone to make some very nice cross-project classes for server-side HTML manipulation and the like.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

So far, I have build all of my sites from scratch and I think the frustrations have helped me in the end. Typically, it is not the code that gets me, it's the actual design (colors, layouts) that takes me the longest (typically a week). Using a CMS here does not speed up the process because of the design problems with me in the first place AND it just doesn't make the BEST code as it potentially could.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

You learn a lot more if you write your own, you also know exactly how it works, and if you get an error message, (as long as you have used your own error system) you should have an idea how to fix it etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

I use a mix system. I use wordpress for a CMS and blog on my site since my wife works on it. But the shopping section will be done custom but employ the same design. So a mix. I have used Wordpress enough that if you just need a different design and content, it can do it and making a simple content site a breeze.

My site is here: http://www.whitworthgallery.org

Also with the new Wordpress 3 is going to help out with using Wordpress as a CMS with the menu control.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:19 PM

I write my own. I never really took the time to learn how to make themes for stuff like WordPress. Also writing your own you know every part of the code, so something goes wrong, "Oh yeah! That's in this file."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:31 PM

What "national web development competition" was that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

I prefer to make my stuff myself. Here are some of the reasons.
  • It is (if you know what you do) more secure then open-source web-solutions. Vulnerabilities can more easily be found if you have the source available
  • You learn a lot more from making then hurry to get a web-site up.
  • It is hundreds of times more satisfying to know I did this all by myself

EDIT *Fixed tags* EDIT

This post has been edited by FrozenSnake: 30 April 2010 - 04:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

I'd much prefer to use a 3rd party solution that was robust enough to modify and adapt, and well coded enough to understand and fix things on my own. A CMS with a strong community backing with a large plug-in selection is so much easier than rolling your own solution every time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• require_once("brain.php"); //Fatal error :/
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:26 AM

View PostGalois, on 29 April 2010 - 09:31 PM, said:

What "national web development competition" was that?

It wasn't strictly web development, it included competitions from all IT fields, but my main objective in it was web development. It was AITP (Associate of Information Technology Professionals) and it was in St. Louis. It's a college-level thing.

Yours,
Shane~
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:36 AM

View Postskyhawk133, on 30 April 2010 - 08:02 AM, said:

I'd much prefer to use a 3rd party solution that was robust enough to modify and adapt, and well coded enough to understand and fix things on my own. A CMS with a strong community backing with a large plug-in selection is so much easier than rolling your own solution every time.

This.

In the freelance market, especially when you are starting out (and many other times after that still) you are competing based on price. It's sad that quality of work is not always the top thing, but thats life. Providing a CMS at a low cost via an open source codebase is the way to do that in my opinion.

Normally the companies that NEED a custom cms are able to pay for it (in my experience)

I make heavy use of wordpress for small start-up company sites, which I seem to have carved out a niche doing recently, and ALL of those are bid based on price. The quality of the design is secondary to just being online. It's painful sometimes but the cash is good to have in your bank rather than someone else's.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +