10 Replies - 1382 Views - Last Post: 01 May 2010 - 12:58 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

The Best Library To Use for 2D Game on Old Machine?

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:31 AM

So it took me awhile to actually ask this question considering how it seemed to simple to answer, but It really isn't.

I'm actually having more issues finding out what to use than anything else I'm working on.

So what should I use to program a 2D game in C#?

So far I cannot run
XNA
Managed DirectX
DirectDraw for some reason(Not too sure why, but when I tried using DirectDraw it wasn't capable of doing hardware)

Games I can run
World of Warcraft full FPS
Maplestory
Counter Strike
And pretty much ANY game made a few years ago or more

So how can it be that hard to find something?

I have looked at openGL and i'm extremely interested, however I found next to none that had a sufficient amount of tutorials or docs to program a game.

SlimDX has Direct2D however like I said, no docs or tutorials.

SFML seems quite good, but again no docs or tutorials.

So if anyone could recommend something for me I'd really appreciate it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The Best Library To Use for 2D Game on Old Machine?

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The Best Library To Use for 2D Game on Old Machine?

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:43 AM

I find it strange that XNA didn't work for you. My computer at home is more than a couple of years old and it ran that just fine. That being said check out the link to the Week 15 52WoC Challenge: OpenGL. Near the bottom of the OP they have some links to resources. That might be enough to get you going.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:48 AM

Yeah I know right.

I heard there are computers still coming out without ps or vs support. So XNA programming can leave a big crowd hanging, and most people with new computers don't like buying new parts/know how to.

Thanks for that link, I have looked at all of that before, but the thing is I was more wanting personal recommendations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

I would recommend Lead Works, but if your computer is even a little bit old that most likely won't work for you. It also costs about $200.00 so again for a lot of people that is a deal killer. I am actually planning on looking into OpenGL myself this weekend. How advanced are you trying to go with your graphics? I know you said 2D, but just like a map with cheesy animations (don't be offended I am not even here yet :P ) or full on side scroller or what?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:02 AM

Well I am the type of person that really does not like to talk about stuff I am working on because most/all people will just react negatively such as how "it's impossible" or "it takes years and a huge team with lots of money".

But since you asked it's an MMO and my recent pixel art has been truly amazing and nothing like I've done before.

I can say for graphics wise, I am capable of whipping out something on a scale of 1 to 10 1 being ,hmm, runescape? and 10 being maplestory? It can be around a 7.

And as far as server/client networking I have it all figured out and it's extremely overrated as being to complex for an amateur to work on, I disagree and can even limit the packets sent per movement and/or do client-side predictions if necessary( and it's possible ).

TCP isn't all that hard, it's beginning to understand it, as with UDP that's a whole different story, UDP is faster since it has no safe methods as does TCP so UDP the packets won't always arrive. Sort of like C# and C++. Unsafe vs safe.

If you would want to work alongside with me I'd allow anyone to really work with me, I was going to post a new thread about this specific project, I, however feel like there is no reason. It seems half the population believes most people are unable/not knowledgeable enough to write a fully functional MMO.

This post has been edited by FreezingHazard: 30 April 2010 - 02:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

Can you please elaborate more on how XNA doesn't work. I just don't understand why it wouldn't work.

What steps did you take?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

XNA doesn't work on graphics cards that don't have Pixel Shader 1.1 support and/or Vertex Support(not sure if that was it).

It's a bit of a rare to find a computer thats affordable past 2007 with that type of support.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

It's a bit of a rare to find a computer thats affordable past 2007 with that type of support.

Depends on your view of affordable. You can buy a brand new laptop for about $450-$500 that more than meets those requirements.

Although it is possible to get XNA to run on a machine without pixel shader support, it isn't practical. If you plan on programming games for a living (or even as an indie developer), you might want to look into upgrading your system.

You could look into C++ and SDL. This combo works very well, especially if you're just interested in making 2D games. If you prefer DirectX, try grabbing an older release of the DirectX SDK that will work with your system.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

C++ and SDL really is pretty easy to understand. Try these tutorials, they're amazing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

I have to say that Lazy Foo's tutorials are great if you are looking for a specific topic, but they are not great if you want to learn the framework of a game and how everything fits together. That said Fib is right, C++ and SDL will give you the scope to make something truly great if you put the time in.

You could check out some of the Game Programming Tutorials right here on DIC, there are some gems :)

Good Luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:58 AM

Ah thanks everyone, seems SDL is favored by a large crowd here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1