2 Replies - 3205 Views - Last Post: 03 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Satellite modem query program (HughesNet)

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:24 AM

Yes, googled...scroll to bottom to skip over ENTIRE explanation.

This is yet another attempt to try and make a program that solves a personal problem. Just a general outlook on this would be great.

I live waaaaay out in the boonies. No DSL, no cable, only dialup and satellite. Currently I am going through HughesNet for this service. Yes, it sucks. I pay for a cap of 375mb/daily, which is good cause it resets every 24 hours, but bad when my wife and I are on the Internet at the same time on the network...

Currently I can check my status by looking at the super-spiffy HughesNet Status meter I have from them. It tells me either I am okay on my status, or if I have ran over. I can bring up a page for the modem one of two ways, (192.168.0.1) (http://www.systemcontrolcenter.com/) which I can get a spiffy looking gauge that returns the exact amount I am at.

But this is tedious trying to bring this up all the time to check my status. I have found 1 other program that does what I want to achieve for this service, but it only works for older modems, and my HN9000 modem is stuck either being okay or not...no way to tell in between.

I've check the HughesNet website for assistance with this, which points me to download the Status meter I already have. On the page it states that "...sometime next year a real time status meter will be released..." but I don't know which year that was, and the tech's that they employ have no clue...

I have determined a way where I can get the exact data transfer on my computer, then on my wifes, but it never matches what the web pages do...

I have tried making widgets for this that will display the webpage, but once started they show for about a minute, then error out, the same thing that happens when I go to the IP address or the web page, bring up the (http://www.systemcontrolcenter.com/stlui/user/allowance_response.html?Tid=7) when I click on the link, then close out the IP or webpage leaving just that page up...apparently it cannot work without both pages up, and even then it does not keep proper track of the amount unless I completely go through the process of requesting the amount again.

So here it is...I want to work on something that can give me a gauge in realtime on my taskbar. I wanted to see if anyone here has done this, or the best approach to solving this problem as everything I have tried thus far with making something (widget/gadget/.net program) = suck@$$.

This post has been edited by Recoil: 30 April 2010 - 06:26 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Satellite modem query program (HughesNet)

• The programming dinosaur
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Satellite modem query program (HughesNet)

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

One of the thoughts that sprang into my mind when I was reading this was to write a proxy service that would sit between the applications using the Internet and the modem driver.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 Guest_George Redinger*

Re: Satellite modem query program (HughesNet)

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

Here is a start:

#!/bin/bash
curl -s -L http://hn9000/stlui/user/allowance_request.html | tidy -q 2>/dev/null > /home/george/tmp/allowance_reply.html
PlanAllowance=`grep -A 1 "Plan Allowance" /home/george/tmp/allowance_reply.html| tail -1 | sed -e 's/<[^>]*>//g'`
AllowanceRemainingMB=`grep -A 1 "Allowance Remaining (MB)" /home/george/tmp/allowance_reply.html| tail -1 | sed -e 's/<[^>]*>//g'`
AllowanceRemainingPerCent=`grep -A 1 "Allowance Remaining (%)" /home/george/tmp/allowance_reply.html| tail -1 | sed -e 's/<[^>]*>//g'`
TimeUntilAllowanceRefill=`grep -A 1 "Time Until Allowance Refill" /home/george/tmp/allowance_reply.html| tail -1 | sed -e 's/<[^>]*>//g'`

echo "PlanAllowance=$PlanAllowance"
echo "AllowanceRemainingMB=$AllowanceRemainingMB"
echo "AllowanceRemainingPerCent=$AllowanceRemainingPerCent"
echo "TimeUntilAllowanceRefill=$TimeUntilAllowanceRefill"

Was This Post Helpful? 1

Page 1 of 1