1 Replies - 561 Views - Last Post: 08 May 2010 - 11:39 PM

• Pugnacious Penguin (inspired by no2pencil)
  • member icon

• View blog

Wireless Connection Problem

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

OK, I have a desktop which I built myself with a custom motherboard etc. Up untill now I have normally been booting Vista on it, although I have had Windows 7 Installed. I recently screwed up my windows Vista in a big way (so now I just keep rebooting when ever I start). So I went to boot my windows 7 and everything was fine. I then installed the drivers for my WG111v3 USB wireless receiver, which is said to be 'compatible with Windows 7'. Everything seemed fine. Windows detects the device in Network Connections, and device manager says everything is fine. But there's a problem. Whenever I try to connect to a network (either in the normal Windows 7 connection or with the NetGear smart wizard), no networks at all are detected. I know that there are loads of networks around, along with my own one.

Everything about the wireless USB seems fine, and I've even tried it on another computer running XP, and everything is fine. Can anyone suggest to me what the problem might be? A windows 7 driver incompatibilty sounds the most likely to me, even though NetGear says it is compatible.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Wireless Connection Problem

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Wireless Connection Problem

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:39 PM

Windows Vista and Seven can both be finicky about drivers. If you are on a 64 bit system, then 32 bit drivers will most probably not work. Even if it says 'compatible with Windows 7', downloading new drivers (for the new OS) is always recommended in my book.

Now that you say that drivers are working but no networks are detected, then I would say it is a similar story that happened with my Speedtouch 330 modem when I upgraded to 7 from XP.

Head over to http://kb.netgear.co...model/a_id/2558
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1