4 Replies - 1009 Views - Last Post: 03 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

#1 Guest_jason*

Web host on own computer

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:05 AM

Hello im needing to edit a code and dont know where to do it the people i am buying it from say that your only aloud it on one site so where am i meant to edit the code so i dont have to pay webhosting fees while i edit ? thanks very much
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Web host on own computer

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web host on own computer

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:07 AM

could you post some of the code so we can see?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Guest_jason*

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:38 AM

View Postjason, on 03 May 2010 - 12:05 AM, said:

Hello im needing to edit a code and dont know where to do it the people i am buying it from say that your only aloud it on one site so where am i meant to edit the code so i dont have to pay webhosting fees while i edit ? thanks very much

the code is irrelivent really i just need to do heaps of things 2 it that will take about 1 month of time and i need to know where i can do that without violating tos or watever there called plz help i need answers by tomorrow to be on schedule thanks heaps :) or should i just put it on a free web host and delete it after im done :) ??
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

Probably the easiest way to do it is - you could just setup a web server on your computer, depending on your OS, LAMP (Linux), WAMP (Windows), MAMP (Mac).

Then you could run and edit it locally. And then obviously test it before making the changes live.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

This topic is better suited for Web Servers & Hosting. I'll move it for you.

View Postjason, on 03 May 2010 - 02:38 AM, said:

i need to know where i can do that without violating tos

Well, two things.

1.) If you are local hosting, you are not violating tos.
2.) Since we don't know who you host with, honestly how are we to know the tos that you signed with your ISP?

If you are hosting this to answer on port 80, then you'll need to check with your ISP if they allow this. If you want to host so that only you & your local intranet can access the site, then you are not violating any TOS because you are not using the ISP bandwidth with your server.

With that being said, if you do want to host on port 80, so that others can view your website...

View Postjason, on 03 May 2010 - 02:05 AM, said:

so i dont have to pay webhosting fees while i edit ?

You'll find that hosting fees are much smaller than dealing with security, uptime, hardware maintenance, & managing backups, of running your own server.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1