5 Replies - 315 Views - Last Post: 05 May 2010 - 02:16 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Dll use issues

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:09 AM

Hi all. I have created a Dll that runs and works perfectly. I now need to make some changes to it, so I have created a basic console app to run the dll and see if it works after the changes are made (aka troubleshooting). The problem is that I reference the Dll, but the resources required by this library don't go with it. I have also tried looking for a way to specify where the Dll is to my console application, but I have come up empty on that one as well. Any points that can at least get me looking in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Just so the use is clear, the Dll is simply some functionality that goes into our nightly build. That is why it has resources with it. It is not the traditional use for a dll, but it works magnificently for us.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Dll use issues

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Dll use issues

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:13 AM

What kind of resources? Maybe you could try playing around with 'Copy to output directory' and 'Build Action' for your required resources...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:22 AM

One is an XML settings file and one is a config file from a different project. This DLL is kind of drawing together multiple projects from multiple solutions and forcing them to behave properly for the build. When I say Copy to output directory it only goes so far as the directory of the DLL, but not beyond to my console troubleshooter. Build Action is the same way :( For now I have them copied by hand, but that is the WORST way to deal with this kind of things so I am looking for something better. Any more ideas out there?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:27 AM

Setting the Environment variable to point to directory where your config files can be found...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:09 AM

actually I went with PostBuildEvents for both projects (the DLL and the CMD Troubleshooting App) so they are both copied to a temp directory. Works pretty good. Since this is just a personal trouble shooting/debugging thing it should work perfectly. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:16 AM

No problem... I'm glad to hear you managed to sort it out...

This post has been edited by FlashM: 05 May 2010 - 02:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1