11 Replies - 2075 Views - Last Post: 30 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

My Portfolio Website

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:15 AM

EroDevel.com, short for Evan Rose Development. I just finished coding it and am ridiculously tired. Share your thoughts if you please, thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My Portfolio Website

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My Portfolio Website

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:11 AM

The website layout is clean and easy on the eye. I didn't like the navigation links though because when I hovered my mouse above the last few characters, the link shifted to the left and I had to move more to the left to click the link which was annoying. Just having a look at the source code I noticed you was using an internal stylesheet. Although I prefer to use external ones to edit styles more quickly, you only have a few pages so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Overall a good website to showcase your bio and your work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the time spent writing that. I agree with you on the navigation, I might change it for something a bit more practical, or just make the entire <li> a link rather than the text. And you're right about the external style sheet. I'll change that soon just in case someone looks into it. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

I agree, very nice clean design... just make the whole link clickable and it will actually really improve the user experience, it is all in the details!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Java Enthusiast
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

It looks very professional. Great work! Only thing I don't like is on my computer there is a scroll bar when one isn't needed. Does everyone see this or is it just me?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:54 AM

your lightbox is broken for me - i can't close it

i'm fine with the navigation, but make the whole thing a link not just the text

I like the pages, they seem well spaced and are set up to be read easily, but the font is missing for me. for a portfolio you can go ahead and screw load times, i would invest in a better font, wether it be an image for the headers or @font-face etc...

your gallery sites are not up to par imo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:47 AM

I'd have to agree on the gallery sites comment, they need a serious amount of work, only show something that shows the peak of your talent, make sure you'd be proud to have your name on it.

Regardless same issue with the light box, rather annoying. Not a fan of the links for the nav.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

Yeah, the light box issue I looked into and couldn't figure out why it won't close on Chrome. Also, I know the gallery is really.. bad, and yeah, I'm not proud of it. I just figured something is better than nothing, but I will make some other templates to replace those when I get some time before I present my portfolio to any other customers. Thanks for the tips everyone! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

Just going to throw this out there. You need to change/create new accounts for things like AIM. It doesn't seem very professional to have a itsevanlol@yahoo.com You would be much better off setting up your domain through google, pointing your dns at them and having a evan@yourwebsite.com. Also, If you were to go through the php tutorials you could find a nice simple contact sheet that sends an email to your inbox.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

I tend to view pages with scripts turned off.
You know what? I think your site looks better with scripts turned off. The growing/shrinking of the top-right navigation is distracting; I personally hate that technique because half the time you have to wait until it finishes to make sure you're clicking the right thing. Your portfolio worked better for me as a list of screenshots rather than as a slideshow, because I (and presumably some other visitors) like to scroll through a page getting an overview of the content quickly and simply rather than having to click-wait-click-wait my way through a possibly unknown number of images.

Your facebook link should probably be an actual link, if you're going to bother making the flickr one a real link...

I'm not always keen on the technique of changing font mid sentence (say from light grey normal to darker grey bold). I think you have to be careful doing that one because it's a bit of a cliche.

That said, I like it a lot. It tells me a little about you, I have a picture of you that's neither too casual and trying too hard to be "quirky" nor too formal like a passport photograph. I have some solid shots of previous work (though if you could replace the lorem ipsum bumf then they'd look less like something you made for a portfolio and more like real world work)

And I like the subtle border at the top of the page. Stylistically everything just hangs off it.

Good job.

This post has been edited by moopet: 13 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:04 AM

This is one of the best websites I have seen on DIC, but I only joined this week so that opinion may not be SO valid. Nevertheless, its a good, solid, pleasant website. I would say to not change much but if we are being picky here to improve the site, this is what you should change:

1. Spruce up the logo of the site. Make a creative design instead of leaving it in just plain text. You don't have many pictures at all so adding some where it counts will not hurt loading times.

2. Above your tagline is a one-line border and beneath it is a box with a border. I'd say keep it consistent and change the top one to match the bottom or vice versa.

3. Make your tagline bigger. Say "My name is Evan Rose, and I design websites." like you are more proud. Maybe change the wording too, sounds a little like your at an AA meeting. Heres an example: http://brianhoff.net/

4. Make your facebook and email a link. Use the "mailto:" for the email.

5. Home and personal have the same left-hand content. I feel that content is more appropriate for the personal page. Instead on the home page you could put some samples of your websites in an interesting layout perhaps?

6. The headings for the left-hand content and the headings in the main content are different. "contact" and "Who am I, really?" are weirdly different for being a similar size.

I'm also 18 and do this for a job. Its a very sweet gig to have! I never heard of the rubber ducky debugging but I will try it in the future! Love that idea. Feel free to contact me if you need help with anything or need another site looked over.

Jordan
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

Off-Topic: Clock, announcing your age is a bad idea, no one needs to know and all it will do is manage to get you discounted as far as any lookers.

I just realized the site title and you may want to change it rather quickly, seeing as Ero is short for Erotic and is pretty danged common in any internet underground which could do some sizable damage to reputation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1