6 Replies - 2671 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2010 - 06:10 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

splash screen

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

Hi All,

I want to add a splash screen to my project, I think it would add that finishing touch, I am using Visual Basic 2008, so I right clicked on my project and click add - new item, found splash screen and added it, I have altered the text and so on but when I run the app the splash screen comes up and thats all.

Is there some code I have to add or is there a property setting I have missed.

Thanks very much

John

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: splash screen

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: splash screen

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:08 PM

I think you need to tell it to show the first form of your program but I'm not 100% positive.

Edit:
No, I'm wrong, it appears that in the project properties, you need to put your programs startup form in the StartUp Form combobox. And then down near the bottom, set the splash screen to your splash screen form.

This should open the startup form after the splash screen is finished.

If you don't know how to get to project properties, double-click on "My Project" in the Solution Explorer and select the Application Tab.

This post has been edited by CharlieMay: 06 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

Brilliant job, I was changing the wrong properties.

Thanks for your help.

John
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Guest_alecn1519*

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

View PostJohn-Ellis, on 06 May 2010 - 10:48 AM, said:

Hi All,

I want to add a splash screen to my project, I think it would add that finishing touch, I am using Visual Basic 2008, so I right clicked on my project and click add - new item, found splash screen and added it, I have altered the text and so on but when I run the app the splash screen comes up and thats all.

Thanks very much

John

You should add a timer to that form and on form loading have it start the timer. make a new label and make it not visible and put its text as 1 and on timer1_tick, put label1.text=label1.text+1
if label1.text=5 then
mainform.show

and under the main forms loading, put
splashscreen.close or whatever
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

View Postalecn1519, on 07 May 2010 - 08:21 AM, said:

Hi All,

Thanks very much

John

You should add a timer to that form and on form loading have it start the timer. make a new label and make it not visible and put its text as 1 and on timer1_tick, put label1.text=label1.text+1
if label1.text=5 then
mainform.show

Would this not be just as easily accomplished by simply using an integer property that, upon startup gets initialized to 0 and then incremented on timer_tick? I don't see any reason to create a label. I don't know, maybe it's just a personal preference to not have excessive controls :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Guest_alecn1519*

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:16 PM

View Postcode_junkie83, on 07 May 2010 - 07:25 AM, said:

View Postalecn1519, on 07 May 2010 - 08:21 AM, said:

Hi All,

Thanks very much

John

if label1.text=5 then
mainform.show

Would this not be just as easily accomplished by simply using an integer property that, upon startup gets initialized to 0 and then incremented on timer_tick? I don't see any reason to create a label. I don't know, maybe it's just a personal preference to not have excessive controls :)

I understand where you are coming from. As for me, I tend to like to be able to see what my code is doing and then modifying it later as needed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

Okay, that makes sense as well. :) My memory is just somewhat terrible, and I'd end up shipping the counter label :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1