4 Replies - 1153 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2010 - 10:40 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Programming between DB2 and SQL

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:17 PM

Hello all,

So I currently maintain an e-commerce system that is built with the front-end interface mostly in VB.NET with a SQL database that has tables which are replicated from a back-end DB2 database. This definitely hinders the database from running as fast as I believe it can, as well as, creates a pretty negative database structure missed with weird cross standard naming.

What I would really like to do is have a single replicated database on my sql server that pulls data from the DB2 database, which is available whether or not the remote db2 is active. I really would like to implement this on the MVC pattern with Linq-to-SQL, but I'm throwing together some ideas, and I wanted to get some opinions of how others would structure.

Thanks,

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming between DB2 and SQL

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming between DB2 and SQL

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

I don't have that much experience with database replication, so I'm not going to give advice on that. But I can certainly help you with application design and architecture.

First of all, is this a windows forms application or a web application since you mentioned MVC pattern which is closely related with web apps?

Secondly, I didn't work much with LINQ to SQL, because I think it's still a bit immature if you compare it with some other tools available. I would definitely go for a NHibernate. There's also LINQ to NHibernate available which is - as I've read - quite powerful and enables you to easily create a very generic database communication protocol.

And you should definitely go for repository pattern.

This is just my personal opinion. Pick something up if you find it worth of trying. Feel free to ask if anything unclear.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:40 AM

It is a web application. I've looked into NHibernate, but have had some difficulty finding a great place to learn it. I did watch some videos Rob Conery put together, but had trouble really following the videos, as the guy who worked with im on the project, basically mocked him with a very strong accent for the whole tutorial lol.

I've looked more into ADO.NET Entity framework, and it seems to be the standard right now, at least on the Microsoft side of things. I will defiantly be using a repository pattern, whatever ORM I choose, just trying to find some advice of communicating between our DB2 and SQL db's.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

You can take a look at my NHibernate tutorial to get you started:

Fluent NHibernate Tutorial PART 1: http://www.dreaminco...rnate-tutorial/
Fluent NHibernate Tutorial PART 2: http://www.dreaminco...utorial-part-2/

I've used it quite a lot in web apps as well as in win apps and I must admit it one of the most powerful tools I've worked with...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

Oh, one more thing... You really should look into IOC - Inversion Of Control (Windsor Castle). It will save you a lot of work if used right... And this is specially useful for web apps and they have some really good beginners tutorial as well that will really get you started.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1