1 Replies - 490 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice on where to go, what to do...

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

Hello guys,

I am just making this post to get advice and to share my story, sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section.

I would like to move from php to asp.net, do you think that this is a good move? I have been recommend to make this move and drop php by a very successful developer. I would also like to do some more design work (Web) as opposed to pure coding, can you recommend any good resources, books, tutorials, beginner guides for developers exploring more design work and for the asp.net switch. If possible also some good SEO resources.

I can also program in C# win forms, so do you recommend moving more into the web environment rather than the desktop environment?

Thank You

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice on where to go, what to do...

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice on where to go, what to do...

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

When I got my first job as a developer after college, I was using mostly legacy Visual Basic 6 and SQL Server doing desktop development. Wanting to work with something more modern, I was in a similar situation wondering where I should go and what to do. Being that even though the company I was working for at the time had outdated tools,it was a predominantly Microsoft development environment and so I figured that .NET would be the most logical direction for me to go. As far as what kind of development to do (desktop or web), what I did was search Monster and Craigslist to see what kind of positions companies were looking for. From my own research I ended up going the web dev path and took classes and did online tutorials to build my skills up in web development and ASP .NET. Since then I have been able to advance in my career along that path. Not trying to influence you to move to ASP .NET and Web development, just sharing my experience w/u.

Also, if you're interested in a career where you will be able to keep up to date in the rapidly evolving field of technology, I would recommend perusing a position with a company that likes to stay progressive in technology. Just my two pennies...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1