3 Replies - 8483 Views - Last Post: 11 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Three Years of Real-World Ruby

Post icon  Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

POPULAR

This is a presentation given my Martin Fowler concerning his company's experience of using the Ruby programming language for the past three years. Really awesome to see a language like Ruby being used in real-world industry. Worth watching even if you don't like Ruby or don't have much experience with it.

http://www.infoq.com...ons/fowler-ruby

Has anyone else had experience using Ruby in industry? If not in industry perhaps large development projects?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 6
  • +

Replies To: Three Years of Real-World Ruby

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Three Years of Real-World Ruby

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

Even though I haven't used Ruby in any capacity, the presentation was nevertheless fascinating. Featured.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

On a slightly related tangent:

If you don't already have it then you need it:
Refacoring by Martin Fowler

If you are a software developer, you need this book. I wouldn't take a fellow developer seriously if they hadn't read through it. In fact, I am the only one in my office who doesn't have this book on my bookshelf so now I look like a fool (dammit).

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 10 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

About the presentation, I think it is great that he lists all those successful projects, but he seems somewhat biased towards Ruby. I think that to learn its real value we also need to look at failures. This will give us a better sense of when to use Ruby and when not to. It also seems odd the Rails is not thread safe and they had to do all those hacks with Mingle and they still like it?

About the book, I have never read it! But I remember I had a mirage at work one time when I was doing refactoring, I thought I saw it on someone's desk (or a similar book). I do use his website however. Will have to add it to my ever expending reading list :).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1