2 Replies - 409 Views - Last Post: 10 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Project Management - Help with decision

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

Hello,

I'm currently developing project management system to track and log all company's work flow.
I don't need any help with code, I can do it myself, but, I'm in dilemma :)

The hierarchy of employees will be:
-Company
--Department
---User himself

Now, will it be a good decision to make another level below 'Departments' and call it 'Teams'? Or using Departments as Teams as well is enough?

I just can't imagine any need of Teams separately from Departments, but I don't want to miss a major hierarchy level only because I can't find any use for it at this moment.

What do you say? Go on Departments and Teams, or merge it? :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Project Management - Help with decision

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Project Management - Help with decision

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

It's funny you should say this, I'm working on a PM System Project too.. The way I see it, Departments are the same as Teams. There's no reason to subset it off.

It will make the coding a lot more complex for you, especially to manage in a database (consider users assigned to several teams, and the ACLs for that.. Just managing 1 multiple (multi-departments) will be fine).

Should companies require "teams" within departments, you should advise them to create seperate "Departments" by team.. Thus making Departments a more abstract container.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Project Management - Help with decision

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

Heheh :)
Nice one working on the same project.

And thanks for the reply. I decided to remove departments and leave only teams, maybe, in configuration panel, I will let them choose how they name this container, either Teams or Departments, but in Company's hierarchy - seems like It's the same, or Departments less important for PM systems.

P.S Hope we don't have the same names for our projects x-D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1