Page Load time is very slow!

Page load time very slow

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 3022 Views - Last Post: 13 May 2010 - 03:31 AM

#1 Guest_Emily*

Page Load time is very slow!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Hi, I am a graphic and web designer, and know a little about my html and css code but nothing much about php, javascript etc. I have used Wordpress CMS to create a site for a charity and they needed a lot of functionality, which has meant adding a lot of plugins, this in turn has made the site run stupidly slowly, the url is www.sandblast-arts.org/sanddune.

I have looked at many forums as to how to fix this and they either get too technical, or the stuff I can do, such as add WP Super Cache, CSS Compress, WP Optimize and WP Smush to it which are all plugins recommended to speed up your wordpress, it still runs very slowly. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do to decrease the load time on this? I have used YSlow for Firefox and run it through a site to see what is making it so slow, and I understand there are too many HTTP requests, but most of it is too techie and I don't have a clue how to resolve it. I understand you can compile all your javascript together in the one file? I have so many javascript files and css files because of the sheer amount of plugin's I don't know where to begin :(

Basically some advice from a techie to a non-techie would be great! Unfortuntely I can not reduce the amount of plugins because the charity needs them all

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Emily x

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Page Load time is very slow!

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Page Load time is very slow!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

Hi Emily!

I think the main question would be where is your site hosted? On a shared host? VPS? Dedicated server?

And how many visitors is it handling an hour or day?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Guest_Emily*

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

Hi skyhawk!

Thanks for the speedy reply!

The hosting is with storminternet.co.uk so it will be a shared one presumably! At the moment it's on a subdomain off the main domain whilst it is being built, so a part from me and the people that work from the charity there should be no other traffic to the site

Emily
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

So it looks like the web hosting is probably fine.

I see at least 13 CSS files being loaded and another 15-20 external .js files being loaded.

I would look very closely at all of those and make sure you're using each and every one of them, then manually combine all your CSS files in to 1 large file, and run it through a minify script to remove whitespace. Then call just the 1 CSS file.

That is a TON of javascript and most of it looks like it's modifying the DOM in some fashion or another, so it's going to prevent the page from displaying until all the document.write's and various other script run, and this can't happen until the entire page loads. So it's loading all the .js files, then loading the page, then executing all the .js files individually.

There are some php scripts available that will automatically combine all those files on the page itself, but keep them seperate so when you upgrade/tweak stuff you don't have maintenance issues. Here's one example: http://rakaz.nl/2006...-css-files.html

I googled "php combine css javascript"

We use something similar here at Dream.In.Code to combine all our JS and CSS.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#5 Guest_Emily*

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

Thank you, that sounds like pretty good advice! I will try it out :)

Emily
Was This Post Helpful? 0

#6 Guest_Emily*

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:31 AM

Hi Again,

I am working on reducing the size of pretty much everything on the site and I read that adding Future Expires Headers will help. so I've added this code into my .htaccess file

<FilesMatch "\.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$">
Header set Expires "Thu, 17 Apr 2025 20:00:00 GMT"
</FilesMatch>

It hasn't appeared to do much though, have I added this correctly?

Thanks again!
Emily
Was This Post Helpful? 0

Page 1 of 1