2 Replies - 566 Views - Last Post: 13 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to make a software run on the internet

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

I want to know if a software can be installed in the server on the web then run it through?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to make a software run on the internet

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to make a software run on the internet

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

In general, as you've asked here, the answer is you can't. You can't just throw a compiled program onto a webserver & have it run.

Now then, you can run .exe files under cgi-bin, however it's an old technology, the code must be specifically written to run under cgi-bin, & the program only runs on the server.

It's much more common place to just use a server side language, such as PHP or ASP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to make a software run on the internet

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

If you have an admin account on the server in question (For instance, if it is a server you have in your house and have set up from scratch, or have purchased elsewhere) then you could access it through some means (just power it on if it is in your house, or ssh into it from an external location - assuming it allows that... I'm not sure what it takes to set up ssh handling). The next step is to make sure that whatever program you want to run is built for the system that you want to run it on. For instance, a Solaris, and a Mac or Windows box run different style executables so even if the code that made the program is completely cross-platform it will still need to be compiled to run on the final machine. From there you can cope the executable over to the server, place it wherever you want, change permissions and/or ownership of it to the admin account (make sure it is set to at least executable for the admin, and for security reasons probably nothing for anyone else) and you can run it.

Now, that is by no means the easiest way of doing things, and it does require alot of knowhow (I have spent the last 4 days at my job figuring out how to do all that I described, and so far I haven't made anything that requires compiling). If you want an easier approach I would suggest making something like a JSP, ASP, or PHP file that accomplishes what you are attempting to do and then running it (go to the page from a web browser), assuming it doesn't timeout it should run fine. Just remember that you need to disable the program if it does anything that may cause issues if run at wrong times after you are done with it, otherwise someone may find it an make life hell.

Hopefully that makes some sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1