What do you use for each language/software?

I did not see a "general" forum

• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 3461 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What do you use for each language/software?

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

I am sorry for putting this here. I wasn't sure where to put it at. I am just now learning; and had a question.

I used visual studio for vb.net and I noticed a few others in it too, c+,c#. What do you use for python,java,mobile programming,etc?

This shit is like golf. I am not very good at all at it. But only difference is i wanna get better at coding not golf. I am not doing so well but when i do it right its so fun!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What do you use for each language/software?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What do you use for each language/software?

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

Those languages have their own IDEs (integrated development environment). Visual Studios is an IDE... that (the newer versions) also work for c# and a few other things.

So.. what to use? Take a language name and tack on " IDE" in google and search it up.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:49 AM

Doesnt NetBeans pretty much do everything or at least have plugins for languages?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

Moved to Corner Cubical :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Software Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

Well for Python they have the IDE that is packaged up with the download that I have used. As for Netbeans, maybe if you need the gui designer but I find that it loads agonizingly slow. (I have 4 gigs of ram and it doesn't help anything) In my opinion Eclipse is a much more enjoyable environment for coding in Java.

I also have Crimson Editor installed for testing quick snippets of C++ and Java.

This post has been edited by eker676: 19 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:26 PM

I use Netbeans for Java, Bloodshed Dev for C++, B^2logic for circuit design, MSVisio for UML, and.... Notepad for documentation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Software Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

Bloodshed Dev for C++

Just curious, does the tab support still suck like it used too?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

Tbh, haven't used it in a while. Been sticking with Java. Oh, also MSExcel for VB.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

VS2008 for C++, I have used NetBeans for Java and had no problems with it. There are so many options available though, it really just depends on what suites you.

-alias
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

I use Emacs for everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:40 AM

View PostRaynes, on 20 May 2010 - 12:45 PM, said:

Emacs speaks all languages??

Another question; what can you do with vb.net? I am about to finish a class in vb. And not that good at it; but i like it. I figured when I'm done with my BS I'll get a cert from AMU while im in the Army.
More specific what are the different lang's geared towards?
C++=
Java=
VB.Net=
Python=Gaming(that is the only one I remotely know)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

I've yet to come across a language that Emacs doesn't speak. Usually, the first thing a new programming language supports is an Emacs mode.

View PostNeoTifa, on 19 May 2010 - 06:26 PM, said:

I use Netbeans for Java, Bloodshed Dev for C++, B^2logic for circuit design, MSVisio for UML, and.... Notepad for documentation.

You know DevC++ is dead, right? Has been for quite a while.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

I use Eclipse for Java except for GUI stuff where I use NetBeans.
I use VS2010 for C#.
I use emacs or notepad when I work with SML and Prolog.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

View Postbocaccio, on 21 May 2010 - 11:40 PM, said:

View PostRaynes, on 20 May 2010 - 12:45 PM, said:

Emacs speaks all languages??

Another question; what can you do with vb.net? I am about to finish a class in vb. And not that good at it; but i like it. I figured when I'm done with my BS I'll get a cert from AMU while im in the Army.
More specific what are the different lang's geared towards?
C++=
Java=
VB.Net=
Python=Gaming(that is the only one I remotely know)

C++= I'll lump C in with this. C and C++ are memory unmanaged languages... well, here, let me explain it this way. you've got all these things that you make in the code, and all of them take up memory and all of them go through the processor. in some languages (such as java and C#) if you delete something, the space it takes up in the memory is deleted automatically. however in C and C++, you have to do this manually. it sounds stupid but this kind of thing is what allows really good programmers to hand-tune code so that it works very well. C and C++ are also different from most other languages (especially java) because they have something called 'pointers' which point to other locations in the memory or to the data stored in other memory locations. C and C++ are what most game engines are programmed in because they are so powerful.

Java= Java is one of those languages that either you love it or you find annoying, it seems. I don't know many people who are 'Java agnostic'. As a language it's very similar in syntax to C and C++ (sans pointers), but there are a few very weird things about it. First, for most languages, when you compile a program that program stays in a compiled format (such as .exe on a windows computer)- with java, it stays in a basically uncompiled format that has to be run through something called the 'java virtual machine', which turns any java code into a program that any computer can run. what this means is that no matter what kind of computer you're on, you have to be running at least two programs to run any java program: the program itself and the virtual machine that it is running through. The other unusual thing about java is the lack of namespaces (a namespace is a defined section of code where things are defined and react according to their definitions).

VB.Net= vb.net is pretty much just used for prototyping or for very basic programs. if you've gotta deal with data and aren't really a programmer but can still make some things work, VB.net used to be the best option around. It isn't anymore and it's one of the most widely hated languages, for various reasons (including loose typing and assignment/comparison operators, inconsistent syntax, and the fact that you can't leapfrog to another programming language from VB as easily as you could from a language with a C-type syntax. the analogy is that if you learn spanish, you can learn italian very easily and vice versa, but if you learn sesuto, there aren't really any languages similar enough to sesuto that you can just leapfrog and learn them easily)

Python= from the little I know, python is more of an internet and text language than anything. I've found it used to do screen scraping (extracting information from websites) and it's what makes websites such as omegle work. I've seen python games, but nothing really hardcore, I've never seen a 3d python engine (although I haven't looked, and there probably is one somewhere). I'm not quite sure why you think python is 'for gaming', to be honest, but I think somebody more informed than me should tell you if it is or isn't.

When I program I usually use visual studio or similar (such as the mono project). For markup languages or scripting (html, php, xml, javascript) I usually use notepad++. all of these are free or have free versions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

Doesn't packages serve the same purpose in Java as namespaces?
It's only one package per source file, but other than that I am not seeing a difference.

Am I missing something?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +