What do you use for each language/software?

I did not see a "general" forum

• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 3718 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What do you use for each language/software?

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

I use Visual Studio exclusively for .Net Development. Sure there's #Develop (Sharp Develop but I find it lacking compared to Visual Studio.

For PHP I use Dev-PHP, for Java (when I play with it) I use either Netbeans or Eclipse
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

View PostVestah, on 22 May 2010 - 04:08 PM, said:

Doesn't packages serve the same purpose in Java as namespaces?
It's only one package per source file, but other than that I am not seeing a difference.

Am I missing something?

:genius:

At least on the surface the purpose seems the same to me. Unless someone can explain otherwise. I guess there are differences but...

This post has been edited by SpeedisaVirus: 22 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

I'm not an expert in any language. the little I've done with java and the stuff I've heard about it doesn't change that in any way- and it looks like I was wrong about the lack of namespaces thing. Sorry about that, I was going on memory and didn't remember that part.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

View PostRaynes, on 20 May 2010 - 03:45 PM, said:

I use Emacs for everything.

Ditto. Although recently I've been playing with Qt Creator for my C++ projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:32 PM

I see only a small percentage of the responders using vb.net. Can i get some comments on this conversation?

Me: When I get on active duty in the Army and finish my Bachelors at AIU I think i'll get a cert in visual studio. It's 15 credit hours and by then I'll have more time to dedicate to learning it versus now. Do you think its worth getting a cert in?

My cousin: Sure, why not? Microsoft rules the corporate world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

Microsoft has a bad reputation in a lot of places, but this- and I mean the programming community- isn't one of them. They do massive amounts of good work, and for every stupid product there are two good ones. Microsoft office, windows, and visual studio are all standards because they're really good in a lot of ways (not perfect, not even ideal, but still very well done).

That said, I still think VB is pretty useless. You can, theoretically, do interesting things with it- just like you can, theoretically, defect to russia and become a cosmonaut. If you want a simple practical language for microsoft, C# is the best bet at the moment for a myriad of reasons: you can do game programming with it for your Xbox and you can make programs for microsoft office (eg, create an excel file of a database, or vice versa). you can use pointers (which makes it better than java), it's very well done and easy to understand as a language, and you can jump to any C syntax language from C#.

I know the army's a shitty rough job that doesn't leave you with free time, but certifications are pretty useless in the programing world if you don't have demonstratable skills. If you want to be a programmer, you have to do it on your own, in your free time, and get good at it by yourself. free compilers are everywhere, download one and start following tutorials (like 'hello world' stuff).

If you're not already in the army and haven't signed anything, don't go in, I know it's appealing but as a US citizen you can play with guns at home. That and the whole iraq/ afghan war is FUBAR and has been since the iraqi military was disbanded- if you want to go there you'll be commanded by people at least as stupid as you are who don't understand the locals any better than you to do things that will make them hate you. this is their country, they are all armed. positive reinforcement for stupidity is how you lose wars, not win them, especially in those places.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

Thought about how I would word my response long and hard. Jumped on the pc and then I saw your flag and the text in your signature. Well, thanks for the advice on C#. That's about all I have to say now. You just made my post a lot shorter :bananaman:
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:17 AM

C# / VB.Net - I use Visual Studio 2010 Professional
Java / PHP - I use Eclipse with various plugins.
Python - I use Geany.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

View PostTom9729, on 22 May 2010 - 03:42 PM, said:

View PostRaynes, on 20 May 2010 - 03:45 PM, said:

I use Emacs for everything.

Ditto. Although recently I've been playing with Qt Creator for my C++ projects.

I've used Glade (the GTK drag and drop GUI tool) with gtk2hs (Haskell GTK bindings) before. Pretty nice for quick throw-together GUIs. I've never used Qt, because I don't really use any languages with very prominent Qt bindings. Guess I need to learn Python.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• require_once("brain.php"); //Fatal error :/
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

View PostChoscura, on 22 May 2010 - 09:43 AM, said:

Python= from the little I know, python is more of an internet and text language than anything. I've found it used to do screen scraping (extracting information from websites) and it's what makes websites such as omegle work. I've seen python games, but nothing really hardcore, I've never seen a 3d python engine (although I haven't looked, and there probably is one somewhere). I'm not quite sure why you think python is 'for gaming', to be honest, but I think somebody more informed than me should tell you if it is or isn't.

Python is a general purpose language, it's just a scripting language rather than compiled (most of the time). Blender is a 3D modeler that uses Python.

@Current topic: I use NuSphere PHPed for PHP/HTML/CSS/Javascript and Netbeans for Java. Also, the main IDE for Python for Python.

Yours,
Shane~
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

View PostShaneK, on 02 June 2010 - 09:14 AM, said:

View PostChoscura, on 22 May 2010 - 09:43 AM, said:

Python= from the little I know, python is more of an internet and text language than anything. I've found it used to do screen scraping (extracting information from websites) and it's what makes websites such as omegle work. I've seen python games, but nothing really hardcore, I've never seen a 3d python engine (although I haven't looked, and there probably is one somewhere). I'm not quite sure why you think python is 'for gaming', to be honest, but I think somebody more informed than me should tell you if it is or isn't.

Python is a general purpose language, it's just a scripting language rather than compiled (most of the time). Blender is a 3D modeler that uses Python.

@Current topic: I use NuSphere PHPed for PHP/HTML/CSS/Javascript and Netbeans for Java. Also, the main IDE for Python for Python.

Yours,
Shane~

Being a scripting language doesnt necessarily imply that a language is interpreted. Python is a scripting language because it's suited for scripting, among other things.

However, to consider it a toy language is to consider a mountain a lump in the Earth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• require_once("brain.php"); //Fatal error :/
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

View PostRaynes, on 02 June 2010 - 12:42 PM, said:

However, to consider it a toy language is to consider a mountain a lump in the Earth.

I never said I considered it a toy language, I rather enjoy it. It's a nice language :)

Yours,
Shane~
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

That bit was aimed at the other guy. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:03 AM

I use VS for .NET and Netbeans for Java.

As for the Army comments, it is true that the army does not leave a lot of free time. It is also true that a lot of people have a very bad view of the wars. I however believe that it takes a special kind of person to be a soldier (no matter the country), and it takes a special breed of person to volunteer to be a soldier in a time of war (no matter the views of the war or the side of the conflict you are joining). If you are going in knowing you will see parts of the world that are not listed with travel agents, then you have put some thought into this decision.

ALSO there is no point bringing this political (and 99% of the time heated) discussion/debate to a programming forum. No matter your views the poster was simply stating a time frame for when he was going to be working on things. He wasn't asking for commentary about that aspect of his post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

For C++ i use Microsoft visual C++ 2010 (and 2008) express edition.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +