6 Replies - 6493 Views - Last Post: 21 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Netbeans vs Eclipse

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

I've used several other IDEs and editors but have yet to touch Netbeans or Eclipse at all. I'm looking to switch to an open source editor with expandable capabilities and it looks like these two seem to be top on the list. Can anyway share their experiences if they've tried both and why they prefer one over the other. I saw a few threads on here that were somewhat relevant but didn't provide enough info. Thanks.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Netbeans vs Eclipse

• Software Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Netbeans vs Eclipse

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

Personally I like Eclipse over Netbeans due to its speed and ease of use. They both have similar/exact features with the exception of the GUI designer in Netbeans. I think it's good to have both installed. Eclipse for general use, Netbeans for GUI.

Both of them have an intellisense/code-complete feature that is nice if you know that something's there, you just don't know what.

Also, if you want something to code in Java anywhere, Eclipse is completely portable. It's great for throwing on a flash drive. (Netbeans may be also, but you would have to do something special).

This post has been edited by eker676: 20 May 2010 - 06:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:19 AM

Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:32 AM

I use netbeans for php and eclipse for java athough 95% of the time I am in netbeans. It depends on what you are doing, I feel that netbeans is superior for php and html if you are doing development. svn intigration is awsome, I'm not sure what eclipse has for svn but I don't think its possible for it to be better than what netbeans has going. Netbeans has great code completion features for php and html as well as css, js and just about anything to do with web development. Also netbeans has support built in for the zend framework and symfony although i've never used them.

If your coding is more towards java then I believe eclipse is the winner, at least for me. It just what i got familure with for java and eclipse is the common choice for intigration tools, Android intigrates into eclipse, as well as a few other things I cant name off the top of my head.

C++ or any other development I have no idea, but if i had to choose it would probably be eclipse.

so netbeans for web development
eclipse for everything else.

netbeans is also 100% portable. I use it on a flash drive all the time, just requires a little tweak in netbeans.config if you're using if for java.

This post has been edited by walterj89: 21 May 2010 - 02:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:55 AM

Thanks Walter. This helps a lot. I primarily do web dev and mobile and FB app dev so your comments helped. I saw somewhere (don't recall where) that eclipse also had a zend framework plug-in (when I was searching for comparisons). Is it safe to assume you never attempted to explore web dev capabilities on Eclipse due to familiar usage on Netbeans? How do you feel about the lightweight and speed comparison since Eker mentioned he finds that Eclipse is faster.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Guest_Guest*

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:19 AM

i use Netbeans but there is awesome feature that i touched in Eclipse that doesn't exist in netbeans ,and it is QT Jambi Support :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

I've been using Netbeans 6.8 exclusively to develop some JavaME applications and it works flawlessly. It's fast once it boots up, and has a simple navigation interface.

You can easily manage and download plugins for you to use and pass command line settings to the default compiler.

I've also use Eclipse, but I didn't like it because it was a bit slow and unintuitive. The intellisense in Netbeans is pretty neat as well. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1