8 Replies - 2656 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best notebook/netbook for writing code?

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

I have an eee netbook from asus. It does the job but you have to be patient. I am thinking of getting an Alienware m11x notebook next year.
I am just curious what you all are writing code on when it comes to a laptop?
And an inexpensive one is always a good thing for me too. I wonder if one could get a good deal on www.newegg.net or www.tigerdirect.com ?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best notebook/netbook for writing code?

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best notebook/netbook for writing code?

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Which Eee do you have? What kind of programming are you doing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

View PostTom9729, on 24 May 2010 - 03:50 PM, said:

Hmm, I can't give you the exact model number only had it a few months. If you goto bestbuy.com>netbooks>asus>its the red one about halfway or so down the page.

For now I am using vs2008,vs2010 in class working with vb.net. If and when i pass this i'd like to move onto C+ and C# (just try and learn them of course).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

View Postbocaccio, on 24 May 2010 - 08:38 PM, said:

View PostTom9729, on 24 May 2010 - 03:50 PM, said:

Hmm, I can't give you the exact model number only had it a few months. If you goto bestbuy.com>netbooks>asus>its the red one about halfway or so down the page.

For now I am using vs2008,vs2010 in class working with vb.net. If and when i pass this i'd like to move onto C+ and C# (just try and learn them of course).

If you know where it is on the page why not find it and tell me the model number? It looks like most of the models they sell are 1005s (the Seashell).

I have a 1005ha upgraded to 2gb of ram and it's a pretty decent machine (besides the horrible Intel integrated graphics).

What problems are you having that you want a new laptop? If you're looking for a netbook you're not going to find many better ones. The newer models come with more ram and Nvidia Ion graphics (GeForce 9400m), but if you're just doing basic programming (which it sounds like) you don't really need a good graphics chip, and you can upgrade the memory in your current model for ~60$.

Also please define what you consider to be inexpensive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

Reason why I wouldn't tell you the model/make is because I was at work on a 15 minute break. Slow internet connection here cause of all the monitoring and security software. I simply went to this forum and AIU online classroom to ck in.

What you say is good news. So really all i need to do is shop around and look for a single 2gb stick and I'll be fine. Video card isn't a big deal to me. The reason I mentioned the alienware notebook previously is because I have been venturing with Medal of Honor Modern Warfare.

Yeah if your talking about the notebook I have and say you have it and like it too. I'm in the same boat as you. I am really happy with it. I guess it's just microsoft applications that are a memory hog.
You kinda shot me down; lol. When you said I was doing basic programming. While I do realize its just basic; I still have a hard time with it. But from stuff I read about people; it seems that programming/writing code is not a overnight process. Hell, some it may take a yr or so to get it down proficient.
Thanks for the response
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

View Postbocaccio, on 24 May 2010 - 10:17 PM, said:

What you say is good news. So really all i need to do is shop around and look for a single 2gb stick and I'll be fine. Video card isn't a big deal to me. The reason I mentioned the alienware notebook previously is because I have been venturing with Medal of Honor Modern Warfare.

If you're interested in gaming then Intel graphics definitely won't cut it. I'm still not sure what model you have, but as I said before the newer Eee models (1201) come with Nvidia graphics which may be a little better (check benchmarks though, I'm not entirely sure how they would handle MoH).

View Postbocaccio, on 24 May 2010 - 10:17 PM, said:

Yeah if your talking about the notebook I have and say you have it and like it too. I'm in the same boat as you. I am really happy with it. I guess it's just microsoft applications that are a memory hog.
You kinda shot me down; lol. When you said I was doing basic programming. While I do realize its just basic; I still have a hard time with it. But from stuff I read about people; it seems that programming/writing code is not a overnight process. Hell, some it may take a yr or so to get it down proficient.
Thanks for the response

When I said "basic" I wasn't referring to your skills. What I meant is that you aren't doing any kind of special purpose programming. If you were doing something with shaders for example you might run into trouble because Intel graphics suck. Want to play around with CUDA or Cg? Good luck on non-Nvidia hardware. That's all I meant.

I'm not telling you what to buy or not to buy, I'm just pointing out that netbooks only come so powerful (and Alienware is very overpriced BTW) :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

All that makes sense to me. And thanks for clearing up the part about programming. And for the record: I have no skills, they're growing ever so slowly. heh

Alienware is like Bose and Apple/Mac
I am fully aware; but I want a powerful notebook; maybe buy one next year and I don't know how to build one. I can build a desktop but never tried a notebook yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Villiage Idiom
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

Something small and cheap is all you really need unless you are doing something heavy computing wise. Checkout TouchBook.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

View Postbodom658, on 25 May 2010 - 09:06 AM, said:

Something small and cheap is all you really need unless you are doing something heavy computing wise. Checkout TouchBook.

I have to ask why would you recommend a touch book? It seems that they're military grade. And if its like the touGHbook. It's way out of my price range. I really don't have any use for something that rugged.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1