2 Replies - 655 Views - Last Post: 28 May 2010 - 06:54 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Creating an application that calls other programs and apps

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:51 AM

So I am familiar with VBA as far as using it in Access and Excel to format data and build programs. I have a program in Access that can perfrom a few dozen different tasks..many forms and Subs. I am using MS VB 6.0 now and I want to build an app that can be run without opening Access that can call my Access program and run the proper programs. Since this is my first attempt at creating a program that isn't geared towards data formatting, I'm going to run in to a lot of new commands and challenges. My question here is simply, does anyone have a link to any good reading material that can get me started and maybe point me in the direction of where to start. Also, if you have any tips for me, that would be great too! As always, thanks in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating an application that calls other programs and apps

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating an application that calls other programs and apps

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

hi :)
if i understand correct you try to use database in vb6 program then you need this tut to show you how:
http://www.dreaminco...se-using-adodb/
it is about sql but all you have to do is change the connection string.
if it was me i will do the program to start from sub main
Sub Main()

End Sub

in there you may connect to your DB and prep. your program before the first form show up. also you can use a Structure that will keep options for your program that will be use every where in the code and init. in the main sub. also if you want to save your options use file to save it or your DB. but if you use a file you can make a default values if the file dont exist and create them in the file. that way even if the user make something that will not be able to run the program if he just delete the option file the program may start with the default values.
i hope i help you little bit.
good luck dude :)

This post has been edited by NoBrain: 26 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Creating an application that calls other programs and apps

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

Thank you very much! That got me off and running...now I have something work with. As always, my hero :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1