New Graduates Looking for Work

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 15895 Views - Last Post: 02 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Resume Guidlines

Post icon  Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

I know there are several threads supplying basic advice on how to write a resume and many people have shared theirs here on DIC, but as a new Software Engineering graduate, I wondered if maybe the community could do one better. (Plus if it helps me get a job I wouldn't complain)

Topics to consider answering:
If you are a person who does some of the hiring at your current company (preferably in the software or computer related jobs), what sorts of things do you look for on the resume?

Examples:
How important is past experience in the field? Does unpaid work experience carry any weight vs. paid experience?

Do you want to see work experience, even if it is not related to the job being applied for? ex. retail work for a programming job? What if the person held a managerial or supervisor position at this job?

Should large projects worked on in the past be included? ex: honours project used to complete my degree or large applications written for personal use?

Should experience working on free forums, like DIC, be included?

If someone has a moderate grasp of several languages, should they all be listed or only potentially relating to the job being applied for be listed?

If you have any other input other than answering the questions above I would be happy to hear it too! I am interested in knowing mostly what causes a person to take notice of a resume vs. ignoring it.
For example personally if someone says they know PHP or Javascript, adding that you know HTML is not necessary, that can be assumed for most cases.

Thanks!
and good luck to anyone else currently searching for a job!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Resume Guidlines

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Resume Guidlines

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

Off-topic: Welcome back, William_Wilson! ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

I posted a lengthy list of things to look for here recently. let me know if you still have questions after reviewing that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

I recently graduated NYU-Poly with a Bachelor's in Computer Science. I have started the job hunting process and have had a couple of interviews. I now am in the second stage of the interviewing process with a QA company, for a test engineer position.

For the resume, below is what mine contains:
  • Education - just my degree, gpa, school
  • Courses - Certain courses which help highlight what I've been exposed to. Once I get a job, I think this will be eliminated from my resume. Since I'm a recent grad, it seems appropriate.
  • Projects - team and individual projects completed at school that you think are worthy of mentioning. On my resume, each project demonstrated problem solving in a particular domain of computer science (web development; PHP/MYSQL, console applications, network programming, threading, etc). I explain to the interviewer what I learned from the project and what I liked most about the project.
  • Skills - languages you know, software you are familiar with, hardware (microprocessors, pcb, etc). I put all languages I feel comfortable writing in with moderate skill or greater. For example, if I can do a little LISP I would put it, which shows that you can think differently (functional instead of procedural programming). If I don't put it, when asked about programming languages I may mention things that I'm exposed to.
  • Work Experience - On my resume I add only experiences in which I gained a skill, or help me improve in something. I do not have any professional software development experience, but I have worked. For example, I have experience with multi tasking due to office jobs (receptionist, ticket agent, etc), experience with speaking to an audience (ticket agent, selling knives, etc). I even add my experience in a catering hall (2 years), which helped me learn how to manage affairs, dealing with time and deliverables (each course of the evening). I explain how each experience helped me grow. Also, I have made small programs for some jobs (ticket sales log keeper), so I add that in.
  • Activities - kind of like hobbies and interests. I only supply info which is relevant to my current objective. For example, since I want to be a software developer, or part of software development, I add that I like making small programs for myself or friends, and like messing around with game engines and frameworks (XNA, Torque Game Engine).

During interviews I mention contributions to message boards, or websites I associate with which are relevant to the position applied for.
I hope this lengthy post has helped someone.

This post has been edited by godmoktail: 29 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:28 AM

Thanks Locke :) I've had several busy months managing 2 large projects at once while finishing my degree and it is good to be back to </DIC>

--

That is a very comprehensive list nooblet, thank you.

--

Very useful information godmoktail. I am in a similar position with experience. I have done plenty of free and personal work, but when it comes to professional work my resume is very sparse as well. Other than a few odd jobs on rent-a-coder type websites my work experience is not related to the jobs I am applying for.

--

If anyone else would like to share their experience throughout their job hunting/acquiring, that would be greatly appreciated as well.

I will add a link to the "share your resume" topic as well as it may help others in my position:
http://www.dreaminco...re-your-resume/

This post has been edited by William_Wilson: 01 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

I posted a link to the USAF Tongue and Quill in the Share your Resume thread. That is a great source of formats of writings, from talking papers, slide shows, emails, bullet papers, resumes, cover letters, etc. Anybody can access it, as I did with my civilian computer.

http://www.e-publish...s/afh33-337.pdf
The resume section is from 253 to 264 in the pdf reader btw.

TO INCLUDE OR NOT TO INCLUDE
As a minimum, include the following on all résumés:
�� Name, address, and phone number (including the area code) centered at the top of the first page.
�� Job objective and/or summary statement.
�� Qualifications and work experience relevant to the job you are seeking.
�� Education and training (anything acquired during military service or through workshops, seminars, and continuing education classes relevant to the position you’re seeking).
The following are other topic areas to include but choose only those pertinent to the job you’re seeking. CAUTION: More is not necessarily better. Keep your résumé to one page, if possible, or two pages max.
�� Special skills or capabilities
�� Career accomplishments
�� Languages studied
�� Honors and awards
�� Military service
�� E-mail address
�� Professional experience and memberships
�� Leadership activities
�� Credentials, licenses
�� Papers, presentations, published works
�� Security clearance
The following information can sometimes be detrimental and takes up valuable space on a résumé, so we recommend you don’t include it unless a potential employer specifically asks for it.
�� Personal data (age, marital status, number and ages of children)
�� Photograph
�� Salary history or requirement
�� Reason for leaving a job and names of bosses
�� Religious affiliation
�� Irrelevant information
�� Hobbies or personal interests
�� References
�� Months, days—use “years” only
�� Specific security information

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 01 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

and they want you to keep this in one page. can this points be placed in one page.

This post has been edited by NoBrain: 01 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

Huh? Yes, everything should be on one page. Check out mine in the one thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

A good list of points NeoTifa, thanks! I've been following a similar list of points when building my resumes throughout my job history. I no longer center my address, phone number and e-mail information to save space, but other than that, it pretty much describes my resume.

I find it a little nerve racking knowing that the jobs I'm applying for could become my career. It seemed so easy when I was only applying for part time or summer jobs!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

Psst... *points to green button*

I center mine. I don't think centering is really a problem, just don't put excess \r's if you can't help it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1