Facebook Privacy - Do you honestly give a damn?

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

69 Replies - 17202 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Facebook Privacy - Do you honestly give a damn?

Post icon  Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

So for many many months now, people have been bitching about Facebooks new privacy model.

As of yesterday, Facebooks privacy policy is now longer than the US Constitution, and prior to yesterday, there were some 50+ privacy controls scattered over 20+ different areas of FB.

http://blog.facebook...st=391922327130

Now, they've reigned things in a bit and given control back to users. My question to you is, do you honestly put things on social networks that you wouldn't ever want an employer, your grandmother, or your future wife/kids to see?

The internet isn't synonymous with "privacy", why do people think they can upload pictures of them smoking pot, or bitch about their employer, and then cry when they get in trouble for it? It's not a private place.

Anyway, what's your take on the whole online privacy shtick and how do you conduct yourself online?

(Left in the lounge for obvious off-topic conversation)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Facebook Privacy - Do you honestly give a damn?

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Facebook Privacy - Do you honestly give a damn?

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

My take on internet privacy is: "If you don't want it to be known, don't put it out there!"

Simple as that, just because it asks you for your address and phone number does not mean you need to provide the correct information.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

View Postskyhawk133, on 27 May 2010 - 11:40 AM, said:

My question to you is, do you honestly put things on social networks that you wouldn't ever want an employer, your grandmother, or your future wife/kids to see?

HELL no. That crap can come back to bite you.

I know people that are still in high school that post pictures of them smoking pot and drinking. One particular girl's favorite day would be pot and Bud Light and other random people to share it with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

I find this applies mostly to people who don't understand social networking. They don't realize it is very easy to look up their pictures and to get personal info. Many kids are just plain ignorant and stupid. They do not realize that this could and will impact their lives to post pictures of them doing stupid things.

edit:

I just wanted to add a little story with this. A female family member of mine thought it would be a good idea to EMAIL her boyfriend nude pics. Not realizing that he could then forward these to his friends and such. So many people are just oblivious. So yes facebook kind of has to protect itself from peoples own stupidity.

This post has been edited by Smurphy: 27 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• require_once("brain.php"); //Fatal error :/
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:16 AM

Social networking is called social networking for a reason. It's a network of social relations, which has the potential to include your employer, future wife/kids and grandmother.

It's pointless to gripe about privacy on something that's about sharing yourself with the world.

Yours,
Shane~
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

I also was watching the news a while back and they had a story on there how a couple posted a comment about how they were going to be out of town for the weekend. When they got back, there house was broken into and they were ripped off.

Bottom line, just use common sense when using social networks...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

nah, i really don't care. i treat everything like it's public anyway. as long as they leave it so i can continue to block annoying people from commenting on my statuses (stati?) i don't give a shit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 27 May 2010 - 09:40 AM, said:

So for many many months now, people have been bitching about Facebooks new privacy model.

As of yesterday, Facebooks privacy policy is now longer than the US Constitution, and prior to yesterday, there were some 50+ privacy controls scattered over 20+ different areas of FB.

http://blog.facebook...st=391922327130

Now, they've reigned things in a bit and given control back to users. My question to you is, do you honestly put things on social networks that you wouldn't ever want an employer, your grandmother, or your future wife/kids to see?

The internet isn't synonymous with "privacy", why do people think they can upload pictures of them smoking pot, or bitch about their employer, and then cry when they get in trouble for it? It's not a private place.

Anyway, what's your take on the whole online privacy shtick and how do you conduct yourself online?

(Left in the lounge for obvious off-topic conversation)

I think you misunderstand the privacy stance. It's not merely just about what you post like pictures and such. If this was the case, then that I think most people shouldn't really complain about the moment it goes live. The problem is with the new features announced at F8, anyone taking part of the Open Graph API now have access to user data including their emails, habits, and site history they visit. This is NOT by default public info. The idea is granted this info, people can market (read spam) users who visit and "like" a site but never truly opt in for this (technically that's how you opted in). This is just the basic of the privacy issues being a problem. Not stupid issues like uploading pictures and crap you write on your news feed. I think you need to look more into the data FB is willing to give out before arguing a privacy stance.

To answer the original question, I don't really think it's as big of a deal as people make it, just like how a lot of people bitch about Google and privacy issues there. I think at the end of the day, most of it is hot air. However I will have a problem when and if my private info, the stuff not meant to be public get into third party hands and next thing you know, my inbox is flooded with crap I don't want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Well for me, except my name there is nothing real in my profile. I have never uploaded my fotos on Facebook and neither do I have any future intentions of doing so.

With respect to phone no. and email, I have choosen strict settings and I have kept them visible not even to my friends(only me) as I have a lot of unknown people in my friend circle at facebook.

In other words I don't give a damn about these privacy policies, ya but freedom of speech as what happened last week is one thing that hurts the most at Facebook.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

I am not even about to sit here and claim that I know 100% of what the Facebook privacy issues all are, but I know that there was a problem with Facebook allowing third parties to access information on you and apparently on your friends as well. I don't think that any social networking site should give permissions for your habits, emails, and such to be accessed by third party members, it really is an over abundance of violation of privacy. Honestly, they should just not allow that content to be given away for surveillance, its just creepy.

On the other hand, the topic that you brought up, it is just a lack of pure common sense to believe that the information posted on a public social networking website couldn't be used for more than just making friends. It is a silly decision to post things that you don't want the ENTIRE world to see. ANYONE can access these things and what you don't want your mom or employer or complete and total stranger to see, you should NOT post.

It isn't a secret that there are some messed up people out there that troll these places looking for anyone with a loose lip, and we should all be careful about posting pics, personal info, or even just something as simple as a rant. The internet is wonderful and dangerous, and as with everything else, it should be used with caution and common sense...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

I actually care about their privacy policy (that's why I don't use Facebook anymore). I should have the right to have something private is I so choose to
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

View PostSmurphy, on 27 May 2010 - 12:05 PM, said:

I just wanted to add a little story with this. A female family member of mine thought it would be a good idea to EMAIL her boyfriend nude pics. Not realizing that he could then forward these to his friends and such. So many people are just oblivious. So yes facebook kind of has to protect itself from peoples own stupidity.

I'm going to need to approve these pics. Send them to catch-all@gmail.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

There is only the illusion of privacy on the internet. Facebook was being so shady about everything; I just got rid of mine, hardly used it anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• No idea why my code works
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

View PostNykc, on 27 May 2010 - 11:44 AM, said:

Simple as that, just because it asks you for your address and phone number does not mean you need to provide the correct information.

In the user agreement, you agree to keeping your information correct and up to date, or else facebook can close your account. Not that they really enforce it. In fact you can look at my facebook profile, and there is nothing there for you to learn about me (cept in a fan of </D.I.C.> ).

Personally I care more about the fact that they are more concerned with giving my info out to companies than actually servicing their users. The only reason my account is still online, is that my girlfriend loves Cafe World so much, she plays on my account too.

On the topic of security and how they have such a long policy, its kinda funny how poorly programmed the site is. Its got more holes than Swiss cheese.

Really though in the end its the users' fault, if you dumb enough to put your info on full view don't be surprised when creepers come a knockin'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

you know who else has a serious misunderstanding of facebook? the international muslim community.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »