13 Replies - 719 Views - Last Post: 08 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Checking out DIC

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

Reminds me of this:
***IMG REMOVED @ OP REQUEST***
I guess now I don't really need to mention my age. If you grew up watching Inspector Gadget or The Real Ghostbusters created by this production company then we could be similarly aged!

About me: I'm looking for a new home after feeling a little disenfranchised with another technical forum where I previously spent all my time as a site moderator. I'm hoping that DIC will have the kind of culture and user base that challenges people to become better, not just spoon feed them answers. I hope to find the type high calibre individuals that make a programming community great!

So far I am very impressed, I like the big red box that describes some big rules (like no homework), also I appreciate the getting started box that hangs around for 5 or so posts. I'm also interested to find out more about the kudos and reputation systems, since that is all new to me. Although it looks like DIC runs on vBulletin so that part is familiar (except most major forum engines look about the same anyway, so it's hard to tell). The site is a little daunting, very dense, IMO. It'll take a bit to get used to everything.

Some of my background: I graduated from a major university in Washington State, where I learned Java. Then I started right out of college in an software engineering position for an embedded systems company. The primary language(s) was C and C++ in a Microsoft OS. You can imagine that threw me for quite a loop! But I recovered quickly. I've been at this gig for about 5 years now, and recently found another position at the fourth largest mobile telecom provider in the US as an architect and subject matter expert.

I'm hoping to answer questions, build friendships, help out where I can, and maybe write a tutorial, snippet or article in the future. I hope I can find a lasting technical hangout!

Thanks for reading!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Checking out DIC

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Checking out DIC

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

Welcome to Dream.In.Code

Thanks for joining Dream.In.Code, hope to see you around the forums someday :)

You have just stepped into the greatest programming community on the Internet, we have experts for just about every mainstream language, and even some languages that aren't so mainstream, so the level of expertise is second to none. All will be more than willing to help, as long as you too are willing to put forth the effort to solve your problem, and to go along the road to becoming a better programmer smile.gif

I would like to ask that when making a programming question that you first place your code inside code tags like this :code: . This makes it much easier to read through large pieces of code, and keeps your post a little more organized.

When posting a programming question first make sure you're in the first forum, then make sure you provide as much information as you can think of that would make it easier for a 2nd pair of eyes to help you debug your issue.

If you happen to get bored (I know, it's real hard to do here) you can check out our Off Topic Caafeine Lounge, the Corner Cubical, dedicated to industry talk, or the Student Campus, dedicated to all things for students.

If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact myself or another staff member, and we will be more then happy to answer any questions you might have.

-Richard
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

:) Hey stranger :)

Looks like we're invading DIC!

Have you checked out the C# Programmers forum yet? I'm already happier with the quality of questions/answers that take place here.

This post has been edited by Frinavale: 07 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hiya Frin,

I haven't seen the C# one yet, although I do visit lots of different forums. I just mainly sit on the new posts link and see what ones I can answer.

I'll check it out.

Thanks!

BTW, that image link that I used got changed, so that sucks... oh well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

Ah that explains it ...hehe :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

It was supposed to look like this:
Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

Its a total invasion/mass exodus/site transference, whatever you want to call it. Either way, good to see we are all sticking together. :)

Regards,

Jeff
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:01 AM

View PostRedSon, on 07 June 2010 - 12:30 PM, said:

Attachment dic-logo.jpg

Oh man! What memories. I remember Saturday/Sunday morning television over here in the UK used to have a few shows that ended with that. That white sphere reminded me of this mint (flavour) chewing gum. Whenever I'd see it, I'd crave the chewing gum. In fact, I'm craving it now.

I'm pretty sure we're not the same age though! ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

I've never seen that image before.....how do you get "mint flavour chewing gum" from that???
Weird!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

Well, when penny-sweets were still around (single sweets for a penny (0.01)) I always used to buy chewing gum, and it looked exactly like the sphere in the DiC thing. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

View Postmahcuz, on 08 June 2010 - 01:01 AM, said:

View PostRedSon, on 07 June 2010 - 12:30 PM, said:

Attachment dic-logo.jpg

Oh man! What memories. I remember Saturday/Sunday morning television over here in the UK used to have a few shows that ended with that. That white sphere reminded me of this mint (flavour) chewing gum. Whenever I'd see it, I'd crave the chewing gum. In fact, I'm craving it now.

I'm pretty sure we're not the same age though! ;)

How old are you then? Probably DiC was around in UK long before the US. They had a couple popular shows in the early 80s over on this side of the pond.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:07 AM

I'm 19. I'm only speaking of maybe 10 years ago.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:16 AM

Yea, you are just a pup.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

What, this guy is here too? I'm leaving...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1