4 Replies - 541 Views - Last Post: 03 June 2010 - 06:29 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Huge Doubt....really huge

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

Hey...i havent posted here for a while :(
Anyways, i just kinda learned php/mysql quite neatly and i already know javascript, all beginner level.
I was now stuck with a problem...like i was using CSS and stuff to make my webpage fancy and then i wanted one of the buttons to high light when my mouse approaches it. I was making my website completely on php and i didnt use javascript yet as someone said that language is not used nowadays as many users dont activate them. But now onmouseover and stuff i can only do in JS, so how do i tackle this issue???? i got a few more doubts...i will mention below.

1) Is using javascript in my website fine??? Does famous websites like facebook, youtube etc use javascript cuz i have seen they a lot of onmouseover stuff! What is the alternative language i have to use?
2) Is it just javascript or all client side scripting languages that can be deactivated in the browser? Why is that? Are they dangerous?
3) Can only client side scripting language do onmouseover events and stuff??
4) Someone said to me that php is not a good language!! They said if i use php its gonna make my website run slow and stuff and that i should use perl, python and stuff. I can do C++. But how the hell am i gonna make a wesite out of it?? I have no clue.

I think i am so much confused cuz i am a beginner. But i would totally appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Bye

Things update by itself in the wall every second in facebook rite? Hpw come thats achived without javascript?
Btw i just logged into my facebook with JS disabled and the WALL IS NOT LOADING!!!! THE WALL IS BLANK!! But the buttons in the blue bar on top is still highlighting when i mouse over it. HOW??? :( i am confused

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Huge Doubt....really huge

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Huge Doubt....really huge

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

View Postnradam, on 01 June 2010 - 11:09 PM, said:

Correct. The webserver can not detect mouse movements.

View Postnradam, on 01 June 2010 - 11:09 PM, said:

4) Someone said to me that php is not a good language!! They said if i use php its gonna make my website run slow and stuff and that i should use perl, python and stuff.

A server side language is as slow as the server allows it to be. But I don't see how PHP is slower than Perl. Code in what you know & what you are comfortable with.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• require_once("brain.php"); //Fatal error :/
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:30 PM

Okay, I'm gonna try to break this into pieces and answer it a bit at a time...

View Postnradam, on 01 June 2010 - 10:13 PM, said:

1) Is using javascript in my website fine??? Does famous websites like facebook, youtube etc use javascript cuz i have seen they a lot of onmouseover stuff! What is the alternative language i have to use?

Most useful websites will use Javascript to provide a nice layout. Facebook and Youtube both use Javascript.

2) Is it just javascript or all client side scripting languages that can be deactivated in the browser? Why is that? Are they dangerous?

I'm really not aware of any other client-sided languages unless you count flash and java applets, and those can both also be disabled. Yes, they can be dangerous if used inappropriately.

Yes.

4) Someone said to me that php is not a good language!! They said if i use php its gonna make my website run slow and stuff and that i should use perl, python and stuff. I can do C++. But how the hell am i gonna make a wesite out of it?? I have no clue.

PHP is perfectly good if you already know it. You could do it in Perl and Python and C++, but then you'd have to make it emulate a web server too and that'd be pointless to do if you're not making an ultra-uber-secure-website.... If you know PHP, use PHP.

I think i am so much confused cuz i am a beginner. But i would totally appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Bye

Things update by itself in the wall every second in facebook rite? Hpw come thats achived without javascript?
Btw i just logged into my facebook with JS disabled and the WALL IS NOT LOADING!!!! THE WALL IS BLANK!! But the buttons in the blue bar on top is still highlighting when i mouse over it. HOW??? :( i am confused

Link looks can be changed with CSS, which is most likely the case of what Facebook did.I did it with TibiaLottery, with this CSS code:
#createLottery {
	float:left;
	display:block;
	background-image:url(images/left_menu_1create.png);
	background-repeat:no-repeat;
	width: 108px;
	height: 106px;
}

a#createLottery:hover {
	background-image:url(images/left_menu_2create.png);
	background-repeat:no-repeat;
}
(That's for the Create Lottery link)

Yours,
Shane~

This post has been edited by ShaneK: 01 June 2010 - 10:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:36 AM

oh man....that explained everything... helped a lot!! Anyways, so i gotta start using javascript now. Peace
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:29 AM

View Postnradam, on 03 June 2010 - 09:36 AM, said:

oh man....that explained everything... helped a lot!! Anyways, so i gotta start using javascript now. Peace

ShaneK was very accurate and comprehensive, I endorse everything said by him! :punk:

About your future intend of using java script I would advise you to learn and Use as a existing library like JQuery or Prototype. On their officials web sites you can find many explanation, examples and information about a lot of things. This will save you much time and effort in your work.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1