12 Replies - 2943 Views - Last Post: 28 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do you keep your skills sharp? vb.net, c#, c++

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

I just finished my vb.net class and now going into forensics. Obviously no writing code in this class. I have installed vs2008, 2010, 2010 express. Have never tried C++ or C# yet. I wanted to try them next; along with java. I downloaded two different "eclipses" i think one is for java and other is for C#.
I made something last night that tells your memory, available, physical, and virtual. Not really hard when the code was there for me. But i did small adjustments to the form.

I think when im done with my Bachelors I wanna do another degree in programming or at least learn it more. I have vmware workstation and was gonna install ubuntu so i can use notepad plus to check that out too. (reasoning behind that is that linux runs faster on my netbook than VS does; so when im not home i can still fool around with code)

Ok how do you all still "learn" when your not in class?

I wasn't sure what thread to put this in either. My apologies.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do you keep your skills sharp? vb.net, c#, c++

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do you keep your skills sharp? vb.net, c#, c++

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

We read books in our spare time, and of course, we code a lot ;) That's it basically; just read a lot (especially good software blogs), and write/practice code when ever you have time. Also, answering questions here on D.I.C is a great way to sharpen skills.

Hope I helped :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

It did help a bit. I have few hundred dollars in e books. I'll start reading them. Got 'em all legit from University Of Phoenix's online library. I didn't wanna include that part just so i could see if anyone would ask me where i got 'em at; lol. I got my Associates in IT/NETWORKING from there so i have unlimited access to books,email,library.

I wanna try and still write code but I don't know what to do? I try to make buttons and have them say lil things. I have made one make noises before.

As you can tell I have lots to learn :whistling:

But i find it rather fun. Its like golf. I am not so good at coding and golf. But i have fun doing both and only wanna improve at coding :^:

Guess I'll crack open some ebooks and even read over my vb.net books too. Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:21 AM

Moved to Student Campus
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:12 AM

Sounds like you are just getting started. Do you have any idea on what you want to develop? That has a lot to do with what you want to work on. If games, then start with XNA, if web, start with asp.net/codebehinds, if win apps, start with winforms or WPF and move on from there. The basics of the language are similar, but different areas operate in different ways. Get use to communicating with external data, and databases. That's where I'd start.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:43 AM

View PostW3bDev, on 07 June 2010 - 06:12 AM, said:

Sounds like you are just getting started. Do you have any idea on what you want to develop? That has a lot to do with what you want to work on. If games, then start with XNA, if web, start with asp.net/codebehinds, if win apps, start with winforms or WPF and move on from there. The basics of the language are similar, but different areas operate in different ways. Get use to communicating with external data, and databases. That's where I'd start.

Thanks for helping me narrow it down. I know i do not want to do with Games. So that leaves in order from greatest to least. Web and Win Apps. I would like to learn both of them.So I need to learn ASP.net and VB.NET. I am assuming that is correct. I hear asp.net is similar to html.

Do you goto Kaplan on grounds or online? I spoke with them on the phone a yr ago. Not sure what it was but the counselor pissed me off and I am getting my BS at AIU online in Computer Forensics now.

I have a feeling I contradicted myself but until I get it right I'll leave it like that. I am under the assumption that asp.net is conducted with Visual Studio as is VB.Net also.

This post has been edited by bocaccio: 07 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

I'm not an expert, and I wasn't paid to say this (although if you guys have any spare money... ;) ) but I'd imagine that if I ever become a beast in C++, I'd probably stick around these forums all day answering questions. You'll always be dealing with it answering questions and it'd be hard to forget what you deal with every day :P And if someone asks a question that you yourself don't know, you can look it up and learn without even being in a class :]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

Notepad plus? Install ubuntu? Why? Assuming you mean notepad++...it installs in windows. Not that linux is bad but that seems like flawed reasoning unless you have some other reasons as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

when u finish ur degree ur getting now, theres really no reason to get another degree. noone is going to hire u because u have a "degree in programming". u need to find internships and learn programming on ur own. after finishing just 1 semester of VB, u have barely even skimmed the bugs and leaves off the surface off the pool. theres still a long way to go but i you really want it, theres more than enough free online resources to help you one your way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

Personal projects. Personal projects are how you learn in any case, whether you're getting a degree or not. after a certain amount of time, you can start freelancing to pay for your classes. For quite a few people that you've definitely heard of, this kind of turns into a full time thing and the degree is given as an 'honorary degree' later in life (eg, bill gates 'graduated' from harvard this way).

The best way to find personal projects is to find small things you can make that solve problems that you have, or that improve upon existing solutions to problems you have. a good example of the first is del.icio.us, and of the second, digg.com.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• B&

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:48 AM

I think pretty much everyone who learns when they're not in class is going to be coding a lot and reading..

Yes, reading that dirty cruel textbook you are so fond of.

Just because your courses don't use the entire book doesn't mean you shouldn't.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:56 AM

First regarding the eclipse for C#, I must admit I've never heard that before.
You can probably write C# code, but it cannot be compiled unless you have a plug-in for compiling.
But then again why would you do that?
If you're on Windows then the best choose would be to use Visual Studio, there is no dough about it, and if you're on another platform then you can try MonoDevelop or SharpDevelop.

Also I'm a bit confused with a part about notepad plus and ubuntu. What is an actual purpose of this?
Well one thing that could be useful and interesting for you is to try out a Mono Framework, it is an implementation of .NET framework for various platforms so you can avoid learning java ;) (just kidding).

Now regarding the learning process, well as you can see from the replies one of the best ways is to work on your personal projects plus some textual based content (weather it is articles, posts, books etc.).
Also an interesting process that I found that people like to recommend is to start your programming blog, this is a nice way to keep track of your improvement.
Also another solution would be to try solving some online programming tests, for example here is a programming test for C# and here is a programming test for Java.
But honestly I would recommend you that for the beginning you choose a single language and stick with it, also a fun thing would be to use some free repository and invite some of your fellow colleges to join you in developing some projects. Who knows, maybe you end up with something that can be profitable ;).

My approach is that I like to participate in some open source projects that I found interesting, to me that is a nice way to learn something new which I haven't previously encountered.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

Kaaarl.. let's not necropost on threads from July 2010. Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1