• Last »

71 Replies - 4766 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Is the mouse dead?

Post icon  Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

Hello :)
I'm fairly new to this forum, so for those of you who haven't met me yet I'm Frinny :)

I am on my way to earning myself an expensive piece of paper: an honors Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and I'm taking a course right now on the topic of Multimedia and Design. I finished a project on the weekend and to submit it I created a web page with the images (products) that I needed to create for the assignment. I added "thumbnail" size images and used Javascript to enlarge them when the user hovered their mouse over them.

Last night in class the teacher brought a new shiny toy into class: an iPad.
I was just thinking about the interface and how things are heading towards touch interfaces...I'm not sure if my mouse over effect will work for this device...but it got me thinking.

Is the future of the mouse as an input device dead?

What do you think?

-Frinny

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is the mouse dead?

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is the mouse dead?

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:16 AM

The Answer is NO!

Since I work in a interactive technology company based around cost effective solutions. I can honestly tell you people are reluctant to change on such a big scale.

I mean our products are the cheapest on the market and other the greatest range of functions including support on linux and OSX systems (macs rule)

One thing Apple have done is reinvent the mouse magicly(get the pun). The magic mouse is a multitouch mouse and the next evolution of mice. So is the mouse dead NO but is it time to evolve yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

Since I work in a interactive technology company based around cost effective solutions.

:(!): BUZZWORD ALERT :(!): BUZZWORD ALERT :(!): BUZZWORD ALERT :(!):

I can see larger, more interactive touch pads becoming more and more the norm... like a laptop, but for a desktop environment. Instead of a mouse and mousepad, just a gigantic iPad like the device that you slide your fingers around on top of your desk to control everything on the screen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:30 AM

I agree with skyhawk133.
This is the same future that I can see coming about.

A while ago I came across 10/GUI and I thought it was cool and filed it away at the back of my mind. I see touch interfaces becoming more of a norm than the typical keyboard/mouse interface we have right now.

The only problem with touch interfaces is that we are going to have to be very close to the screens we're working with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

View Postskyhawk133, on 09 June 2010 - 09:23 AM, said:

Since I work in a interactive technology company based around cost effective solutions.

:(!): BUZZWORD ALERT :(!): BUZZWORD ALERT :(!): BUZZWORD ALERT :(!):

I can see larger, more interactive touch pads becoming more and more the norm... like a laptop, but for a desktop environment. Instead of a mouse and mousepad, just a gigantic iPad like the device that you slide your fingers around on top of your desk to control everything on the screen.

I tried using my ipod as a pointer device -- I didn't really like it very much. Then again, I hate touch pads in general. I do have to say though, the AirMouse app that I have for my iPod is better than any laptop touch pad I have used... I mean it switches to a 10key pad with a button, it has macro keys that can be pulled up. I think there is a lot or potential to the idea... then again... REALLY expensive piece of equipment for a pointer!

I do like to use my watcom tablet -- I would very much like a tablet PC (if only they were not quite so expensive).

The nice thing about a mouse is that it does what it does and it does it well... so I think they will be around for a little while yet, but the future is coming and I think one will see more and more touch screen interactivity.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:46 AM

The mouse only dies when the 'Lawnmower Man' interface becomes cheap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

I still use a clicky keyboard so the answer is NO the mouse is not dead. Besides you still have to have one in order to log into windows (if you don't know the tab keys)

I agree with NYK, that's how computers should of been by now :)

It looks like the itouch is already being phased out:Posted Image
:)

I think you would have to phase out the keyboard first before you can try to phase out the mouse.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

My fat finger is far less helpful for precisely selecting screen objects than a svelte mouse pointer icon.

Finger painting with touch screens feels like just that, a long way from the control I can get from a mouse or many secondary data entry devices.

Until I can do virtual reality, Minority Report style, interactions with hands waving in the air as 3D projections dance to the incantations, I'm keeping my rat.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

Good topic Frin,

I work in the embedded systems industry, this means cell phones, vending machines, medical devices and things like that. I am currently working on the Coke Freestyle (look it up), and last year I finished working on Ford's new Sync "infotainment" system. All of the devices I worked on didn't have mouses. The only future I see is that devices will be getting smaller and smaller, and more powerful, and in my industry we are moving to only touch interfaces and in some cases voice and "swipe" (gesture) based interfaces.

Pretend you are the average computer user... if you have a phone that you can do email on, surf the internet, make phone calls, and do all the other things that you usually do on a computer; and the screen is large enough, then why would you bother using a bulky computer and a mouse? Why would you buy something that takes up a lot of space on your desk/kitchen counter?

Just look at any other communications type industry. Original phones were large, hung on walls and you had to use a crank to build up enough voltage to connect to the local operator. Now you can't even find a normal plug in the wall phone, all they have is small cordless handsets. Or maybe you have already given up your land line and gone to pure wireless? What do you think is so special about computer hardware that makes it immune to this shrinking phenomenon?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

I don't think it will die, but merely work together with other input devices. I find touchscreens to be more of a hassle and a "ooohhh look at my shiny new toy, it's touchscreen *pauses for oohs and ahhs*" feature to sell a lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

As user interface design becomes smarter and more user friendly, the need for physical aspects to devices is decreasing.

Look at RedSon's example: a phone.

It used to be a huge clunky thing where you had to turn a wheel to dial the numbers.

It's user interface evolved into buttons that you can press (which saved us time waiting for the wheel to reset).

It's user interface changed again to allow the user to see the numbers they dialed and make any corrections if something was entered incorrectly.

And now, we have phones that don't even have buttons!

Say you were an alien from another world and you looked at something like the iPhone: you have never seen it before and there are no physical aspects to it that my indicate how to use it. Suddenly you touch a button and the software UI comes to life telling you what to do.... great!!! :)

Things that used to be physical aspects that gave us the ability to interact with devices...gave us a good indication of how to use a device just by looking at it...are disappearing!

With this in mind, I think that the future of the mouse is doomed as hardware advances are making things easier to use and as software/UI designs are becoming smarter so that the end user isn't frustrated with things like "fat fingers" etc.

-Frinny

This post has been edited by Frinavale: 09 June 2010 - 08:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:58 AM

As far as I'm concerned no it wont die, simply because of people like me. Call me old fashioned if you like, no seriously it's OK I'm old enough to handle it now (:P) but I even use a mouse on laptops because I cannot stand that little touch-pad thing they come with (I have no clue how anyone can get anything accomplished with those damn things).

I have no issues with touchscreen, I just love my Zune HD. But until I have some sort of touchscreen monitor (or the like) for my desktop I'll continue to use my trusty mouse
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

As soon as the machines become sentient we'll all be in court over a "bad touch". Think about that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

Touch screen notebooks are becoming more popular. If you don't like the touch pad, just wait until the whole screen is a touch pad, then you only have a keyboard and a touch screen.

PsychoCoder = :wheelchair:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »