12 Replies - 1299 Views - Last Post: 10 June 2010 - 10:19 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Programmers Paths

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

Here's my two cents on what I've been observing lately. Most programmers dive right into game design or game Physics. There are so many different applications for programmers & yet I notice that most of us go into games. Why? Game's are in fact very fun to do but whatever happend to fields like security, network, & research? Is there that much demand for game developers or have we forgotten about the other applications? I have been working in the security field (network data security) and I rarely see programmers set out to do networks? Now I pose the question to you guys...why don't you?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programmers Paths

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Programmers Paths

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

View PostMastermind_13, on 09 June 2010 - 04:54 PM, said:

Here's my two cents on what I've been observing lately. Most programmers dive right into game design or game Physics. There are so many different applications for programmers & yet I notice that most of us go into games. Why? Game's are in fact very fun to do but whatever happend to fields like security, network, & research? Is there that much demand for game developers or have we forgotten about the other applications? I have been working in the security field (network data security) and I rarely see programmers set out to do networks? Now I pose the question to you guys...why don't you?

I have no clue who you're referring to. I know maybe 1-2 people personally in gaming. Every single programmer I know are web developers or app developers. Generally speaking, it's whoever you hang out with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

Hahaha, this brings back memories. :D

When I started, my ultimate goal was to create games. Sadly that didn't pay the bills that needed to be paid. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

View Postnooblet, on 09 June 2010 - 05:28 PM, said:

View PostMastermind_13, on 09 June 2010 - 04:54 PM, said:

I have no clue who you're referring to. I know maybe 1-2 people personally in gaming. Every single programmer I know are web developers or app developers. Generally speaking, it's whoever you hang out with.

Well I have been noticing the genera trend that game design is the "New" big thing. You don't hear much of networks and things like that in the work place. I have 4 personal friends who started as just app programmers that went into game design and have seen it here in dreamincode also! I dunno I just feel like there is so growth possible in other areas and was just wondering if you guys felt the same way or if I was the only one lol.

View Poststapia.gutierrez, on 09 June 2010 - 05:37 PM, said:

Hahaha, this brings back memories. :D

When I started, my ultimate goal was to create games. Sadly that didn't pay the bills that needed to be paid. :(

What field did you end up in?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

Desktop applications, and web applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

View Poststapia.gutierrez, on 09 June 2010 - 06:53 PM, said:

Desktop applications, and web applications.

Way cool! I would honestly love to see a flood of programmers going more & more into OS design honestly! It seems that MIT has a firm grip on it but I would love to see more interesting designs!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:56 PM

You might be interested in what Google is working on then. They have an integration for Android and Chrome OS built together and have already launched their online web store, an open portal app marketplace separate from their android app market.

On the gaming thing, haven't really seen that trend personally.

This post has been edited by nooblet: 09 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

View Postnooblet, on 09 June 2010 - 07:56 PM, said:

You might be interested in what Google is working on then. They have an integration for Android and Chrome OS built together and have already launched their online web store, an open portal app marketplace separate from their android app market.

That is so cool!! I haven't even heard of it, I will have to check it out! Its reasons like that why I am a programmer! Yeah, maybe I caught a stream of people going into game developing but it just seemed that way. Don't get me wrong I think its fascinating (game developing) and have some experience in the field, It just struck me as odd that everybody I knew was going into that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:07 PM

View PostMastermind_13, on 09 June 2010 - 08:43 PM, said:

View Postnooblet, on 09 June 2010 - 07:56 PM, said:

That is so cool!! I haven't even heard of it, I will have to check it out! Its reasons like that why I am a programmer! Yeah, maybe I caught a stream of people going into game developing but it just seemed that way. Don't get me wrong I think its fascinating (game developing) and have some experience in the field, It just struck me as odd that everybody I knew was going into that.

All birds of a flock fly together. Generally speaking, if it's people you know, that's how it's going to end up. Everyone I know is a web developer or app developer with exception to maybe 2 people. That's because of the type of developer I am. It's common in most social circles you hang out with to have people with common interests; in your case game dev.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

A lot of my friends do web design, but I honestly couldn't care less. I wouldn't mind being part of game design, but my interests and skills pretty much put me in application development. I'm not very graphically minded.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

To extend what nooblet was saying, you're a product of the five people you spend the most time with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

Kids want to write games because they still love *playing* games. Thus it seems like a cool/fun gig.
Sales software sounds boring.

But look at the reality. Game designers stay in one city and go to the same office every day. If that is your thing... Cool.
When I worked at a credit card middle-ware developer (the people that process the cards on behalf of hotels and stores) I traveled all over the USA. When you are young and single this is great. Every week was a new destination.

Photography applications sound boring... but now I travel globally doing installations and custom solutions for resorts and amusement parks.

I think new coders look too much at the hype of the finished product and not enough time looking at the potential of niche markets and smaller companies and the *nature* of the business they want to get involved with. Computer controlled access control systems (door locks) have to be installed on site because the client can't bring their building to your office. That means you might go to Chicago one week and Denver the next.

My advice is don't decide on the industry first. Decide on what you want out of a job: Travel, glamor, at-home-office, Wed-Thur off, whatever... then find a job that matches that. Because after a while it doesn't matter if you are programming the next great Zork, or a medical database: It's all still sitting on your... chair... typing.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:19 AM

View PosttlhIn, on 10 June 2010 - 08:21 AM, said:

Kids want to write games because they still love *playing* games. Thus it seems like a cool/fun gig.
Sales software sounds boring.

But look at the reality. Game designers stay in one city and go to the same office every day. If that is your thing... Cool.
When I worked at a credit card middle-ware developer (the people that process the cards on behalf of hotels and stores) I traveled all over the USA. When you are young and single this is great. Every week was a new destination.

Photography applications sound boring... but now I travel globally doing installations and custom solutions for resorts and amusement parks.

I think new coders look too much at the hype of the finished product and not enough time looking at the potential of niche markets and smaller companies and the *nature* of the business they want to get involved with. Computer controlled access control systems (door locks) have to be installed on site because the client can't bring their building to your office. That means you might go to Chicago one week and Denver the next.

My advice is don't decide on the industry first. Decide on what you want out of a job: Travel, glamor, at-home-office, Wed-Thur off, whatever... then find a job that matches that. Because after a while it doesn't matter if you are programming the next great Zork, or a medical database: It's all still sitting on your... chair... typing.

I couldn't agree more! That is way cool that you go all over the place!
My friends love games, hence they program em, but I'm a security guy! That truly is my passion/fascination! I honestly think that the quality of life that I am looking for is in security. As I said earlier, don't get me wrong game dev is way interesting, but there is soo much more than that in life!

Good to hear that there is life beyond game dev! Thanks guys!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1